advice for north carolina mountains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reviewing lots of past posts to get info but would appreciate a response to these specific questions.
We are two friends in our 50s who will be visiting the Ashville area in early May. We like hiking, museums, crafts, culture, and are not in to shopping. We are thinking of spending a few days in Ashville and then taking two days to go northeast on the Blue Ridge Parkway and 2 days to go southwest. We have friends in Ashville so we are not needing much advice about what to do there but would like ideas for the rest of the trip so we can make reservations in advance.
To the north we are thinking about the Boone, Blowing Rock, or Valle Crusis area. To the south we are torn between the Smokies or further south. So far we are looking at maybe Sylva, Brevard, or Dillsboro. We don't want to be in the car the whole time so and we don't know what to expect in terms of driving times.
Best towns and places to see and stay in each area? We would like to do a circuit for each so we don't drive the same way back that we came in. We have heard that I-40 is closed west of Ashville due to slides. How should that affect our trip to west?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/fo...#ixzz0l0wSBJLx
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM

The I-40 closure is pretty close to the TN border, I believe. Of the places you mention I like Sylva the best & also spend a lot of time in Black Mt. Typically we rent cabins via vrbo. What type of accomodations are you seeking ? That may help you narrow down your choices. If you like wine, there are also some good wineries nearby (& I am not referring to the Biltmore). In lieu of Boone (pretty much a college town) I'd look more around W. Jeff.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM

I-40 is currently closed to all but local traffic starting at mile marker 20 in NC. The NC DOT web site states that they hope to reopen I-40 by late April, but that will depend on the weather the rest of this month. You can check for updates here: http://www.ncdot.org/travel/i40_rockslide/

However, even if 40 is still closed, this probably wouldn't affect your drive unless you chose the Tennessee side of the Smokies. Even then, there are other ways to get there.

Just FYI - it's spelled Asheville. Just wanted to make sure you knew, in case you needed to Google anything in or around the town.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM

IMO no much to see/do in Boone. Pretty much a college town. There are some good places to eat. Blowing Rock is a very small town with lots of shops, lots of people most of the time. The Meadowbrook is nice if you decide on there. They have an indoor pool and also a room with a private swimming pool (very small). Ashe County/West Jefferson is much more laid-back, slower paced. There are several nice shops in West Jefferson, you might enjoy Mt. Jefferson, rent a canoe, a wonderful place to enjoy some slow-down time! My favorite thing to do there is sit on the front porch of my cabin in my hammock swing and watch the river go by!
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Dillsboro is the start of the smoky Mountain Railway--which I would not suggest you do. it''s really just a little town of "precious" shops.
Boone, while a college town is in the middle of a nice part of the mountains-Grandfather Mountain, Banner Elk, area, all with nice hiking trails, and enough nice restaurants. Black MOuntain campground is at the base of Mount Mitchell, and would be a good jumping off spot for hiking (you don't have to camp). there is good fly fishing all around there. Blowing Rock is a fun ilttle town.
Just outside Asheville is a very nice Appalachian crafts store (even if you aren't into shopping), tne there is a nice campground there for hiking and picnicking.
South on the Blue Ridge is Pisgah forest, and the Cradle of Forestry--route 64 toward Brevard through the forest.
and there are lots of stops for hikes off of the Blue Ridge.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks for your generous advice (and spelling edits)!
We are getting really excited about our trip and can't wait to see this beautiful part of the country!
Did I mention that North Carolina is the only state that I have not visited in my 56 years? After this visit I will have travelled all 50!
Thanks again!
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I'll bet while this is your first visit to the gorgeous state of North Carolina, it won't be your last! Welcome!