Reload this Page >

Advice for long weekend in NYC in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Vita

I was thinking of doing a long weekend, about 4 days, in NYC on the weekend of September 21. Just wondering if anyone has any general advice and what NYC is like during that time of year. I'm not interested in seeing the Statue of Liberty, etc. More interested in museums, theatre, and aimless walking. Will be traveling solo and I'm from DC if that matters. Thanks.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:57 AM
mimi

We love NYC in the Fall especially late Sept. and Oct. We do find it to be more crowded than other times but the weather has been better for us than the winter or summer. You may find it a little harder to get show tickets but it is fun to walk and window shop the great streets and areas of the city.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Owen O'Neill

It's a great time of year in NYC. Weather is usually still pleasantly warm but not excessively so. Ther may be a street fair somewhere although those events tend to be more generic these days in Manhattan with similar food and merchandise vendors showing up at different ones repeatedly. Go to www.chowhound.com, go to the Manhattan message board and then do a CTRL "f" on your keyboard to engage a page search function. Check for phrase solo dining and you should find a very extensive thread that appeared there recently on solo dining options in NYC - it will have great ideas. Some things I might try would include walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, riding the Staten Island Ferry, wandering up 9th Ave in the 40's through 50's to find some fun and cheap ethnic dining options, going to a musical show at BBB King Club where tou'll end up at a table wiht other folks and be able to strike up some conversations if you share musical interests (a likely possibility). Go to TKTS and look for some deals on off=Broadway shows or better yet, check citysearch.com a few days before you arrive. there's lots of experimental and off-off broadway theatre that's really worth seeing and never shows up at TKTS. Consider checking out one fo the comedy shows at Upright Citizen's Brigade on East 22nd. They have three shows nightly on weekends (only $7 each) and include improv, sketch comedy and sometimes one-man shows. I've seen some wildly funny and inventiv ve stuff there and the audience is locals - not a tourist joint. The possibilities are endless - be sure to get a one day FunPass for the subway each day - $4 gets you unlimited rides until 2AM the next morning. Subway system is really easy once you get the hang of it but also be prepared to do plenty of walking. Museum suggestions might include the Frick (because it's in avery cool old Fifth Avenue mansion and is small enough that you can see the collection ina few hours) or even the Tenement Museum (which I haven't gotten to yet but hear good things about). Metropolitan Museum is great of course but so jammed on weekends that I prefer to be elsewhere.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
Vita

Thanks, Mimi and Owen. It looks like I'm picking a very popular time to go. Any other comments?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:03 AM
lisa

More comments on what, Vita? I don't mean to be rude, but you have asked for "general advice" and for "what NYC is like during that time of year."

As the others have told you, NYC is WONDERFUL in the fall. The weather can be great (although it stays pretty warm into late Sept). The leaves will be just starting to change when you are here. Hotel rates don't go down until Columbus day usually.

If you like museums, there are lots to choose from -- the Metropolitan Museum has the roof garden open into September with a bar and fabulous views, MoMA will be closed then, the Guggenheim (near the Metropolitan), the Frick, etc.

As for theatre, if there are specific plays you want to see, you would be prudent to get tickets in advance through Ticketmaster or Telecharge. If you are willing to chance your selection, go to the TKTS booth for same day tickets (day before at the downtown location).

Other than that, I think you will have to ask more specific questions for more specific advice.