Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Adventures in New Places - Which Would You Pick & Why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey chicgal, my vote will be for the Pacific northwest, just because I'm from the Portland area (bias?). No, Portland is truly a beautiful city. I believe based on reading posts here that you are from Chicago (which I visited 2 months ago and also loved!) But it's such a contrast to your city. Portland is laid back, affordable I would say, and very accessible (great transportation system to different attractions). Sure it's not quite at par with Chicago's arts and theater experiences if you're in to that, but it's not lacking either. The Pacific Ocean and Mount Hood area are only at least an hour drive if your in to out door stuff. Or if you're in to shopping, well the fact that we have no sales tax might be attractive to you. Of course, there's also Seattle three hours drive up north, which is also a favorite of mine. There's lots to see and do, plus, if you really want to see all 50, eventually you'll have to come and visit. Have fun on whichever area you choose!
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:39 AM

I love the Pacific NW, too, but I would check into what the weather would be like in May. I understand it's best to visit there in the summer. We've been twice - once in July and once in August and it was great each time.
New England in the fall is beautiful. If you might not hit great weather in the Pacific NW in May, I'd vote for fall in New England.
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:25 AM

I would have a hard time picking from that list but I'd go with Charleston in April. The South in the spring is so pretty and after a cold winter in Chicago you'd probably appreciate the warmth.
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:53 AM
GoTravel

It depends on the time of year as to which I'd choose.

I will say this, even though I live about an hour south of Charleston, it is one of my favorite cities in the US.

If you go early enough in April, you may get to see the Azaleas in full bloom.

Old May 21st, 2004, 07:13 AM

Your list is too good to choose among. You will just have to line them up and do them all.
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:13 AM

Your list is too good to choose among. You will just have to line them up and do them all when you can.
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM

chicgal, if you do decide on Maine/VT/NH and want to see the Fall foliage, in Vermont it's usually around the second week in October. Just be aware that many hotels/inns book up a year or more in advance, so if that's your choice, book early. Have fun deciding!