Search

Activities on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Robin

Activities on Maui

My boyfriend and I will be on Maui for one week in July. We're wondering about some of the theatrical shows, such as Maui Myth and Magic. Any comments? Also, are luaus worth the price? Any other recommendations for activities are appreciated. We'll be in the Kaanapali area.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
x

Try Warren and Anabelle's very good show.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:50 AM
x

Get Maui Revealed before you go. It's easy to read, very enjoyable has great suggestions for activities, snorkeling and hikes.

I'd lend you mine but it's all worn out!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Julie

We were there last month and went to the Old Lahaina Luau.
Pros: Gorgeous Setting - 6pm-9pm as the sun sets. Nice grounds, they have people selling crafts, offering poi for you to try, ladies doing a bamboo stick dance, and this whole time 6-7pm with a Hawaiian foursome playing. The show was very entertaining and exciting, and generally told the story of the Hawaiian people's culture and history with some legends thrown in.
Cons: food was average, drinks were melted (pina colada), costs $75 per person, the show only lasted an hour.

I still would really recommend going to a Luau - its kinda one of those things you should do once in your life and might as well do it now. We did find it to be romantic and entertaining. Have fun! PS - a friend honeymooned on Maui last year and also said Warren and Annabels was good. we didn't go. For a romantic and expensive dinner eat at the Swan court in the Hyatt. $30-$40 per entree but really nice!! Julie

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Zak

Hey Robin. I would do the Old Lahaina Luau. It's very long and wasn't my cup of tea, BUT it's something you need to do once while in Hawaii. The food is good and the setting is beautiful.

I personally loved the Road to Hana. My wife and I rent a convertible, and then on the second day in Maui, drive to the 7 Sacred Pools. I say the second day because your first day there you won't arrive until early evening and you will go to bed early because of the time difference and the traveling. But on the second day, you be up before the the hotel staff even arrive for work because if the time difference. And since your up early, it's a great time to drive to the road to Hana. We drive all the way to the 7 Sacrad pools and take a picnic lunch with us. We spend several hours there swimming in the pools and having a romatic picnic. Then we take our time driving back and stop and site see if we wish.

I would also make Mama's Fishouse for dinner. It is in a little town called Paia. About a 45 minute drive from Kaanapali. It sits right on the water. The food is wonderful and the setting is romantic. But make reservations ahead of time and try to make them at sunset.

Also, stay away from all the "activity booths" you seen in the tourist areas such as Lahaina. They are pushy, and then rude if you don't purchase from them. They sell snorkel trips, dive trips, parasailing, dinner cruises and other touristy stuff. They are also the #1 tourist complint in Hawaii year after year.

Most of all enjoy the beach, setting, and hospitality. Opps, almost forgot. If you staying in Kaanapili, visit Black Rock behind the Sheraton hotel. It's a great snorkeling spot.

Aloha!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Julie

Actually, Tom's Barefoot right on the main street in Lahaina is an activites broker that is NOT associated with a timeshare business; we found them to be EXTREMEMLY nice and helpful and booked us for a snorkeling trip and surfing lessons that were discounted and lived up to their recommendations. Highly recommended.