Reload this Page >

Accomodations near Boston - on T

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Clyde

After a meeting on Cape Cod,will tour some of Maine then will be driving in from for 3 days of sightseeing in Boston. Would like inexpensive accomodations perhaps North of Boston with access to T line. Is Revere an acceptable place? Or would it be better to stay closer to Logan, turn in rent car and use public transportation. Thanks for help. Good board with lots of interesting comments.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Mich

There are a lot of hotels, not really sure how close to T. Steer clear of Revere. Rough town. Best to stay by airport or areas like Newton. Most places in Boston very accesible by T.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 07:10 PM
betsy

Check out the Holiday Inn-Newton or the Holiday Inn in Brookline. Both are located on the 'T'. In Boston, I've heard good things about the Midtown hotel. Lodging in and around Boston is not cheap-even Motel 6's are pricy!!!! I also agree w/the above poster to stay away from Revere.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 10:41 PM
tweedy

Clyde, don't know if there are any hotels close to the T in Revere, but since I grew up in Winthrop the next town over I disagree that Revere is not a good place. It is a bit of a haul into Boston from there, but Revere has done alot of sprucing up over the last few years and if you can find a hotel near Revere Beach, go for it. The beach area is nice.

Kelly's is up the beach and a must for the best roast beef sandwiches. (First thing I do when heading "home" to Boston)

Have a fun time and enjoy your trip.

tweedy

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Leigh

I would recommend either staying at the airport - very accessible to Boston by the T, or staying West (Newton, Waltham, etc) or South of Boston. There is a Motel 6 in Braintree at the end of the Red Line - very easy on and off the T. There is also a Howard Johnson's right in Kenmore Sq. in Boston. You might try that. There is a budget hotel of some kind in Newton - I forget which chain, but that might work as well. Although I am not sure about T stops nearby - Green Line. There is also a Suisse Chalet in Dorchester that might work for you, also off the Red Line.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Ann

There is a Suisse Chalet in Newton, but it's a few blocks walk to the T. You might look into staying in B&B's in the Boston area. They may be more affordable than the average hotel. There are many hotels in Waltham, and you could then drive to Newton and take the T from Riverside. Same with the Holiday Inn/Newton which is right next to the T. Just be sure the place you choose is on the T rather than the commuter train because of frequency of runs.

If you turn in your car upon arrival in Boston, you'd be fine staying closer or actually in town.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Lyn

Just got back yesterday from 3 days in Boston. We stayed at an Amerisuites in Medford, which is just north of Boston. It was about a mile from the train station and very convenient. We got AAA rate of $149 for two doubles and small kitchen and free breakfast. Very nice, clean hotel. They don't charge to park either. It worked out well for us.
Medford was sort of on the way to Lexington so we drove there, but we took the train everywhere else. That train was wonderful; please don't try to drive in Boston, just take the train.

Amerisuites has a website I believe.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 05:52 PM
mark

I have lived in Boston for many many years, like 30... you will be missing out on a great deal if you don't stay in Boston proper. If the downtown hotels seem very expensive, there are great B&B's in the Back Bay or in the South End (largest historical site in America for Victorian housing--the whole neighborhood is a hostorical site.) There is no reason to really avoid Revere, but in and of itself it doesn't have much to offer except fried clams at Kelley's Roast Beef (don't ask why a roast beef place is famous for its clams, this is New England and we are a bit cock-eyed.)
But definetly forget the car, far too much trouble. If you don't rent a car you can take allt he cabs you want and you will still save a small fortune.
Have fun!