Search

Accomodations in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodations in Houston

Hi,
We are having a family reunion of sorts in Houston in the beginning of November. When the visa question gets cleared up, there would be, hopefully, 6 people in need of hotel rooms. We were thinking about renting a beach house for all of us in Galveston, but it's a bit far from the place where the local part of the family lives. I doubt that there are beach houses in Houston In our family, we used to have most of our conversations at the dinner table. We are not into restaurants, it's too noisy, and we don't see each other very often. So, can anyone recommend a hotel where at least some of the rooms have decent-size kitchenettes, or some extra rooms, so we could gather and talk and catch up? The reasonable price is also a bonus.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

I found the Lovett Inn online and plan to stay there in November on business. They have a few townhomes that have small kitchenettes and you might want to give it a look. It says its in the Historicall Museum district which I learned yesterday is also " mid-town."
Good luck!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM

They also offered rates MUCH lower than listed on their website for single travelers... that may help you too.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

moneygirl,

Thank you so much! I am going to look into it.
I had no idea that there could be hotel townhomes...
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM

I did a quick search and found the following that look like they might meet your needs:

Crestwood Suites of Houston 290 Galleria
http://www.resideo.com/us/texas/houston/70828006.hotel
http://www.crestwoodsuites.com/prope...n_290-galleria

Sun Suites of Westchase
http://www.resideo.com/us/texas/houston/86475474.hotel
http://www.sunsuites.com/property.php?p=westchase

Sycamore Heights
http://www.resideo.com/us/texas/houston/98110655.hotel
http://www.sycamoreheights.com

And don't forget to read up on thsee and more area hotels at tripadvisor.com

Hope that helps..have fun!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Regarding the post from thepeters, I would definitely not recommend the location in Westchase or the one on 290. The Sycamore Heights location is great. Also, the Lovett Inn is centrally located and might be good.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM

maryanntex: Thanks! I'm not completely familiar with those areas, but figured I should suggest them anyways since there's not a lot around that fit all of Marusja1's requirements!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Marusja1:

The Lovett Inn is actually a bed and breakfast and it has one main house and then a few other buildings (listed as a carriage house... and a few rooms listed as townhomes.

Their website is fairly descriptive and if you think it looks good, call and talk to the innkeeper. He was VERY helpful and friendly when I made my reservation!

No beach, but it has a pool and jacuzzi!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

thepeters,
Thank you for the list! What search terms did you use? I was unable to come up with anything to describe our needs
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

maryanntex:
Thank you! I have been in Houston, but I 'stayed with the relatives and never got around much, so I have no idea which locations are better.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Marusja, in what part of Houston do your relatives live? Let us know and we might be able to make better suggestions about places to stay.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

maryanntex:
I don't know the name of the neighborhood, but it's Fondren Road near S. Braeswood Blvd.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM

I live very close to Fondren/Braeswood area. There are no hotels nearby, and I sincerely doubt there is any B&B or inns at all.

Closest decent hotels will be the Hilton on SW Freeway. Or just forget it and Priceline some 4* hotels in the Galleria area!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan:
Thank you! I suspected that this area is not very touristy, so I am not surprised...
I think we'd rather try Museum district. Some of the people in our party have never been to the U.S. before, so I think they would appreciate being close to nice central area.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM

I think staying in the Museum District is a great idea. Hope you can find a place to stay that's just what you're looking for.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM

Marusja1: I use resideo.com a bunch -- it's one of the better 3rd party online hotel reservation sites (hotels.com, expedia, etc. etc.) that I've seen.

They have a search box right on the home page that you can plug in just about anything (hotel name, location, amenity, etc.).

I hate to sound like an advertisement, but I've been really happy with them -- I've booked over 10 hotel reservations with them the last couple of years!

Anywho, when I saw your initial question, I did a search for Houston kitchen dining room (at least, I think that's what I searched for) to come up with the list.

Well, hope that we've been some help for you -- have a great trip!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

thepeters
Thank you!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM

Did you find a place? Maybe you can join us one night at the Houston GTG!!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

moneygirl
Thank you!
That's a great idea and I would have loved to join you, but I think I'd try to spend as much time as possible with the family. I actually miss them, we live too far from each other.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

maryanntex
Thank you!
I have to wait until next week, everyone has to finalize their schedule. Keeping my fingers crossed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -