COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Accomodations in Bay Area, Monterey and Tahoe

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:15 AM
laura

Accomodations in Bay Area, Monterey and Tahoe

We will be flying out to San Jose sometime in July, spending 1 or 2 nights there, then meeting friends to go down coast to Monterey and Carmel. Are there some decent inexpensive hotels or bnb's near those 2 spots? Would rather not stay in M. or C., as cost I'm sure would be more than our budget allows. Would like to spend a day or 2 in San Fran. doing same thing. Will then go to Tahoe. Any good deals there? We lived in Bay Area for several years so are familiar with general area, 'tho it's changed a lot in 20 yrs, I'm sure!!! Thanks for your ideas.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:07 AM
gail

The conference grounds (not like any you have ever seen!) at Asilomar is a great choice if you are watching the budget. Meals are included and you are right accross from the beach. It is close to Monterey and Carmel and worth the visit even if you don't stay.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Helpful

For your stay in San Jose, I suggest you consider the Vagabond Inn budget chain. You get a good queen bed, swimming pool, free popcorn, coffee maker in your room, and a free sweetroll and OJ in the mornings.
San Jose hotels are often very expensive, catering to the business travelers. The Vagabond fills up fast, especially the well located one in Sunnyvale, just off Lawrence Expressway at Highway 101/Bayshore. There are others; this one is just well located.
When looking at their website, be sure to check out their "promotions" and "hot deals" as well as making copies of the $5 off coupon -- you can use a coupon each night. Be sure to make copies of your rates and confirmation as the desk clerks know nothing about the website special offers!

http://www.vagabondinns.com/

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Laura

Gail-Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with Asilomar. Could you give me details, please? Thanks Laura

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Laura

THanks very much for the tip, helpful. I will definitely look into Vagabond!! Laura

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:00 AM
gail

Asilomar is in Pacific Grove. It is a state park now and has many types of accomodations. It does have a pool, but I usually am not there in the summer.
The architect was Julia Morgan (Hearst Castle). She has a beautiful way of designing with natural elements.Meals are served in the Crocker dining hall. It is big and can be noisy, but the beach is just steps away. The rooms in the old section are my favorite. They are very simple shingled structures with fireplaces downstairs in the common area. The newer rooms have gas fireplaces and are accross the street, but still in the forest.Deer are everywhere.Phones are available, but not in rooms. If you do an online search you can view the grounds.It is beautiful and the price is right.If you go the Fishwife is nextstore and a great place to eat.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:21 PM
laura

Thanks, Gail--sounds wonderful. Will certainly check it out.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Helpful

CORRECTION, Laura, on that Vagabond Inn. It's just off Mathilda -- not Lawrence Expressway as I posted before. So Sorry!!! It's also very near Highway 101 (also called Bayshore).
By the way, there's a chain of sandwich shops called Togo's restricted to Santa Clara County, I believe. They're very good and relatively inexpensive. They're crowded, of course, from 11:30 a.m. to about 1 p.m. but they have lots of preparers so the wait is never too long. If you like Hot Pastrami, do try theirs -- I think it's No. 9 on their huge list of sandwiches. Look them up in the local yellow pages.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:49 AM
laura

Thanks for correction, helpful! I think I remember Togo's. Will check out.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:42 AM
kam

There's all kind of chains in San Jose--it's much changed from 20 years ago. You'll be very surprised. But, my suggestion would be to consider the old De Anza Hotel in downtown which has been renovated. Hopefully, you'll be able to fit something more than Togo's into your dinner plans. Lots of little restaurants in downtown San Jose, all walking distance to hotel. A real budget find in Monterey is the Otter Inn just near the aquarium. Very inexpensive and free parking. Caveat, they don't have A/C which you don't need for the weather, but the seals and birds can be really noisy at night! Also look in Pacific Grove for little places. In SF I always recommend the San Remo in North Beach for people on tight budgets, but you'll have to share bathrooms (they keep them immaculate) Otherwise, look into all the motels on Lombard Street though that's not as charming an area. Can't help with Tahoe.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:27 PM
laura

Thanks, Kam, for the suggestions. I recall the De Anza (lived in Almaden) and good to know of renovation. The Otter Inn sounds good. Would you have phone #? We are going with a couple who haven't been to CA and I'm looking forward to showing them the beauty of the Monterey Peninsula, and then further north to Tahoe. There was a restaurant in downtown San Jose that we used to frequent, but the name escapes--was it Emile's or something close to that? On tip of tongue--wonderful food!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 08:00 PM
Helpful

Yes, Laura, there is a restaurant in downtown San Jose called Emile's. Here's the website:

http://www.savvydiner.com/sanjose/emiles/

With regard to Kam's suggestion for you to consider the Hotel De Anza, I'll just say I understood you to specify you were looking for "inexpensive hotels." While lovely, the Hotel De Anza's standard rack rate of $329 per night per room (July 11 and 12, for example) with a king bed, prompted me to suggest the Vagabond Inns (motels) for a room with a queen bed at $110/night for two for same time period. As indicated in my previous message, the large San Jose hotels (downtown and near the airport) cater to business travelers.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:53 AM
laura

Wow! That is too steep for our budget for sure. For this trip, Vagabond is more our speed!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:36 PM
kam

Laura, So sorry, the De Anza must have greatly increased their rates after the renovation. Too bad. I wonder what corporate rates they could offer though, and are you here on a weekend, if so rates might go down at the business hotels. If you stay in Sunnyvale at the Vagabond Inn, won't you need a car? Or do you plan to rent one anyway? The Otter Inn is at 1-800-385- 3299 Local number is 831-375-2299. 571 Wave Street. I have also heard mentionned the Monarch Cove Inn and the Butterfly Grove Inn, but aside from hearing about them, I don't know anything else.You do remember Emile's--but again, as "Helpful" says the prices have most likely increased since you've lived here. It's still tops as is Eulipia. Good luck. Post again, if you think of something.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:12 PM
Ranger

Wherever you stay in S.J. area, be sure to book way way in advance. I travel there on bsns occassionally, and rooms are sometimes verrrrrry hard to come by.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
laura

Helpful--Took a look @ Emile's menu-pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Kam-We'll be renting a car. Thanks for phone #'s. Ranger-I think it was the Vagabond in Santa Clara that I stayed in 5 yrs ago. There was no problem getting room without reservation, but things change quickly I guess.