Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Accomodation in Boston area with 2 teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 04:18 PM
annemarie

My 14 and 16 year old have informed me that they would rather stay on the outskirts of Boston, or a bit further, than in town in a regular hotel room. Four grownups in a regular Hilton type room is crowded for us, at this point. The Doubletree Guest Suites on Soldiers Field road wants 200.00 a night f (no breakfast) for 3 nights in August. The Embassy Suites in Marlborough wants 107.00 a night, breakfast included. We really like the Embassy concept. Have you stayed at this property or are you now having a heart attack that we are staying so far out of the area as a base?(We are Canadian so the dollar does matter, 200.00 is 300.00 in our funds) Annemarie

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 05:22 PM
beth

Hi there,
Marlboro is pretty far out! Try the following--Doubletree Suites in Waltham-right off of I-95 and 15 minutes from Boston, Concord, Lexington etc. The Holiday Inn-Newton is located off I-95 also, and is also on the 'T'--Boston's public transportation system. Hope this helps

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 11:16 PM
Jody

Can't imagine why your teenagers would prefer the outskirts, or who's in charge in your family. In Boston, one can secure reasonable and comfortable lodgings near public transportation at moderate prices. There's nothing to be saved (time, money, ammenities or convenience) by staying in "the outskirts". Why not just book adjoining rooms at the Midtown?

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 09:30 AM
beth

Agree, Marlboro is way too far out. It will take you 40 minutes to drive into Boston from there. Also, when calculating your expenses remember that if you are planning to drive into downtown, you will either spend an extra 30 minutes looking for a parking spot, or you will pay roughly $25 to park in a garage all day. Personally, I would hate to spend all my time driving in and out and looking for parking. Try to find a place near public transportation. The T is safe, and inexpensive. And much more pleasant than driving if you don't know your way around.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 08:01 PM
Ralph

You definitely do not want to drive back and forth to Boston every day. You could stay at a hotel near the T, but you probably wouldn't save anything.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 11:00 AM
Parrot Mom

I live in Marlborough--right down the street from the hotels...yes, it is 35-40 minutes out--There is parking in Boston....not that convenient for downtown Boston, but next to Route 495 which would take you up North to Maine... The Double Tree on Soldiers Field Road is much more convient-you can't walk anywhere-but they must have a shuttle bus...and there must be a MBYA bus to take you to either Cambridge or downtown Boston--

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 10:19 AM
cheryl

I don't think there's anything to be gained by staying outside of Boston. The areas you will be looking at are suburban areas, and there will not be much to do and you will have a long commute to the city. Have you considered looking into B&B's? There are several in the Boston/Brookline area. As these would be considerably cheaper than a large hotel, you could get 2 rooms and not be as crowded. (A friend recently paid about $70 for a room at a B&B in Brookline) Most of these properties are very convenient to public transportation, and would certainly offer a different atmosphere than a big downtown hotel.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 07:48 AM
MAUREEN

I VISIT BOSTON FREQUENTLY HAVE HAD TWO DAUGHTERS IN SCHOOL THERE AT DIFFERENT TIMES. I WOULDN'T EVEN THINK OF STAYING OUTSIDE OF THE CITY. WHAT YOU SAVE IN HOTEL ROOMS WILL COST YOU IN PARKING, ETC. BOSTON IS ACCESSABLE BY THE " T " (LOCAL SUBWAY)WITHOUT THE HASSLE AND BIG BUCKS OF PARKING (leave your car at the hotel for minimum $). I PREFER THE MARRIOTT OR THE WESTIN AT COPLEY. TRY JOINING THEIR FREQUENT GUEST CLUBS BY CALLING 800# - USUALLY QUITE A FEW PERKS INCLUDING (MAYBE) ROOM UPGRADES. CHECK IT OUT. ALSO GET THE LOCAL BOSTON ENTERTAINMENT BOOK - QUITE A FEW DISCOUNTED MEALS IF NOT 2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1. GET 2 BOOKS IF YOU'RE 4 PEOPLE. HAVE A GREAT TIME - LOTS OF SHOPPING FOR TEENAGERS.