Accommodation near Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two Australians whose travel plans to Europe have been cancelled due to the recent volcanic activity in Iceland. So now we are going to the U.S. instead and it is very much a last minute trip - leaving on Wednesday and flying to Los Angeles.

We are hiring a car and plan to drive to San Francisco and on to Yosemite, into Nevada and Las Vegas and then up to Montana. We have no itinerary and haven't had time to research anything much at all!

My question is where should we stay close to Yosemite on the western side - and again on the eastern side en route to Las Vegas? Bookings within the park are all taken with the exception of camping, which we don't want. We will not do any hikes but rather drives in Yosemite due to time restraints. I saw some options at El Portal and again at Mammoth Lakes. Are these good places to stay?
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:07 AM

El Portal is very close to Yosemite Valley, the core of Yosemite Park. It would make an excellent base. I recommend at least two nights there, so you can spend a full day within the park.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Just a note...State route 120 through Yosmemite to the eastern side of the Sierra (Tioga Pass) doesn't open usually until late May to mid June because if heacy snow. Don't plan on using that route or 108 as a way of getting across the Sierra at this time of year.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:44 AM

A couple thoughts.

The hike (well, walk, really) for Bridalveil Falls is only .5 miles and it's only 1 mile to Lower Yosemite Falls. You could easily fit both in. The waterfalls will be spectacular this time of year. While you'll be able to see them from various locations in the valley, it's easy and well worth it to take at least one of these walks. A lot of the roads in Yosemite are closed this time of year due to snow so you'll probably be spending most, if not all, of your time in the Valley, anyway.

And how much time do you have? It's about 1,000 miles from Las Vegas to Montana. Are you sure you want to drive that much? There's gorgeous areas not that far from Vegas - e.g. Zion, the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell. And then it's possible that you may have problems with snowed in roads up in Montana.

P.S. I agree about El Portal. It would be a good place to stay but I'd double check to see if there's a last minute cancellation in the park.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Suggestion: Book something outside the park that you can cancel at the last minute while in the meantime you haunt the web site for a room at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. That's what we do, and we always get a room because people book and then cancel.

Booking must be cancelled seven days before arrival to avoid a credit card charge, so your best bet is to look for a room seven days before your arrival; however, we often find a room sooner than that.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:13 AM

I should have mentioned that staying at Yosemite Lodge is very much worth what seems like too much money. The location is so great.

On our last visit, breakfast was included in the room rate. We found that we were allowed a specific dollar amount and that by spending wisely we were able to have a big breakfast and most of the makings for a picnic lunch.

HTTY
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM

We always stayed at Mariposa.Nice little town and a short drive to the park.Paul
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM

1. You cannot transit from west to east to Nevada through Yosemite National Park for your trip, as Highway 120 E (Tioga Pass) is closed for the season.

2. You will have to backtrack and go north or south to cross the Sierras. You will need to research the conditions to see which Sierra passes will be open.

3. I suggest you go to the NPS website to familiarize yourself with the open roads and accomodations. www.nps.gov

4. I also suggest you start looking at the posts on www.tripadvisor.com forums. There is a great deal of good information available there.

5. Your problem next week is not where to stay on the east side of the Sierras. There are towns with motels along Highway 395. Your problem is where to stay in Yosemite.

Make sure you have accomodations before going to Yosemite. You cannot rely on turning up and finding a place to stay.

The weather forecast is for stormy rainy weather Tues, Wed, and Thursday.

Up to Montana? You'd better look at a map and the weather predictions.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM

After visiting Yosemite, I'd drive back to San Francisco, fly to Vegas, see some of the sights there, then go to the Grand Canyon and maybe some other sights in Arizona like Sedona.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
At this time of year the drive from Yosemite to LV is nasty -- down through Bakersfield and Barstow -- both armpits.

I'd try to book a place in El Portal and keep hoping for a cancellation at Yosemite Lodge. Then drive back to San Jose (easier than SFO, but SFO or Oakland would be OK too.) and fly to Vegas from there. Pick up another rental car when you leave LV.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thaks to everyone who has replied - you have all given us far more insight into this little section of the trip than we imagined. For example, we live in the tropics and the thought of snow in early May in Yosemite never even crossed our minds! Likewise in Montana! We will look for accommodation in El Portal that we could possibly cancel at the last minute and keep an eye on the website for a room at Yosemite Lodge. As for the drive to Las Vegas, unfortunately we have to do that because we have contracted to have the car until 20th May and drop off in Denver. Is the only other route to Las Vegas via Bakersfield and Barstow? I hate the sound of it being a "nasty" drive.

As for driving all the way to Montana - maybe that is not such a good idea and we will explore Colorado instead before dropping the car off. This idea of "winging it" is new to me as I usually research everything thoroughly but the volcano problem has really messed us up this time!
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Where are you flying out of -- Denver?

About the snow - it probably won't snow in Yosemite Valley during your visit (though it certainly could) but the back country will still be totally snowed in so you can't really cross the Sierras between Bakersfield and way north near Lake Tahoe.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM

I wouldn't call it a nasty drive. I'd call it a less than scenic eight hour stretch of road. ;-)

You might break up the stretch of driving south down to Bakersfield with a visit to Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. But otherwise it wouldn't be my choice for an attractive drive thru the southwest.

Do you have your heart set on going to Vegas? Because you could, instead, continue east on 40 and visit northeastern Arizona (e.g. Grand Canyon and Canyon de Chelly) and continue on the interstate to Albuquerque and spend some time in northern New Mexico. Then take 25 up to Colorado and eventually Denver.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM

I meant 'nasty' as in yuck, not nasty as in difficult (unless one thinks of 8 or 9 hours seeing absolutely nothing and passing nothing worth a stop as 'difficult')
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM

You could have a great drive similar to your original plan, although longer, by going north from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, staying there a night or more there and working your way down the eastern Sierras to Las Vegas via Highway 395. The scenery will be stunning and as you have time, you don't have to make the less interesting drive through Bakersfield/Barstow.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, janisj, we are flying out of Denver but as yet we haven't booked any flights - and we haven't decided where we are going!! This is all because of the volcano and the last minute plans - so we are "winging it" and that is something I have never, ever done! We do know that we have 5 nights in New York from the 25th - so from 20th (or so) until 25th we have to decide where we will go. Maybe we just take longer on this drive and leave the car later...........I don't know.

Yes. Shanti - we have to go to Vegas - not my choice I have to admit, but my husband has booked the helicopter tour to Grand Canyon from there, so we are committed. He did it 2 years ago and loved it, so wanted to show me this area. As I said, it was all done in so much of a hurry, I wish now that we had totally "winged it" !

Placename, your idea is great too - we will look into that.

I really want to thank everyone for their advice - this is a vast unknown for us and I am looking upon it as a great "adventure" - I know there is nothing quite like this in Oz ! We have the vast areas but not your stunning mountain national parks and quaint little cowboy towns.
Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:05 AM

Well, if you have to go to Vegas, you have to go to Vegas. It just means you have to devote a day to driving. Although going up to Tahoe and then heading south would be a much more attractive drive. If you head up to Tahoe via highway 49 (and you probably would) there are some possible stops along the way - e.g. Columbia which is a state historic park Gold Rush town.

From Vegas, you could do a loop around Lake Powell, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. Then drive to Mesa Verde National Park in southwestern Colorado. I know next to nothing about Colorado sites and driving conditions in May but I'm sure other Fodorites can offer excellent advice about what to do in Colorado.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM

I think you have a wonderful choice of parks in the Arizona/Utah/Colorado area to visit.

You have the makings of a really great american road trip here!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - we are about to board the flight to Sydney - and then on to the "great unknown" ! I do appreciate all your advice. Many thanks again.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM

In case you check this post again, I'd recommend going to Southern Utah from Las Vegas (or from Grand Canyon). Zion and Bryce National Parks are spectacular, and my Aussie cousins have loved those areas as well. Zion is only about 2 hr 15 min from Las Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -