Reload this Page >

Accommodation: Carmel/S.Barbara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Peter

Hi everyone. Now that my wife and I have figured out our California Coast itinerary, now we are figuring out where to stay. Does anyone have recommendations for either Carmel (we'll be staying 3 nights) or Santa Barbara.
Our price range is somewhere under $130...our Canadian dollar just doesn't stand up against those yankee bucks!
cheers,
Pete

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 03:34 PM
George

For the Carmel end, check www.visitasilomar.com . It's actually in Pacific Grove, but rates are in your budget and include breakfast. And, they have their own beach....

Sorry, have nothing on Santa Barbara. Find their tourism web site, and poke around from there, if nothing materializes from the board.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:08 PM
kam

Try Carmel Village Inn or the Pine Inn or Wayfayer Inn.If you wanted to stay in Monterey, that is quite a bit less expensive than Carmel. In Santa Barbara try Days Inn or Coast Village Inn or even look farther north in Ventura or inland in Solvang. Good luck.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Sandy

Peter,
In Santa Barbara you could try the Hotel Santa Barbara on State St. The rooms are on the small side and if you're room faces State St. it could get a bit loud, but the decor is nice and the location is excellent. You can walk to all the shops and restaurants along State st. and take the trolley/shuttle to the beach.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Sandy

Oops, forgot to mention a couple of reasonable B and B's as well. Try the Tiffany Inn or the Secret Garden Inn. Both are located downtown and are nice, but very reasonable.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:49 PM
mt-x

Hi! I don't know about the Carmel area but I stayed at the Eagle Inn in SB this past week for 2 nights. (Thurs & Fri.) Rate was $95 per night plus tax (I think the tax is about 12%).
It's a couple of blocks from the beach and Stearns Wharf.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Peter

Hey everyone..great suggestions so far..I appreciate it. Just curious if there are any more suggestions out there before beginning my booking....
cheers,
Pete

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:14 AM
xxx

The Harborview Hotel in santa Barbara is nice and right across from the ocean.Big rooms.Check out the prices for the Mountainview rooms-they will be cheaper than the oceanview.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Bob

The recommendation for Asilomar in Pacific Grove for your visit to the Monterey Peninsula was good for your budget. It is located across from the ocean and has easy access to walks on the beach. It is used as a conference center for meetings all year but also rents to individuals.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Diana

We liked the Cobblestone Inn in Carmel.
Like a B&B it has breakfast and afternoon wine/snacks, but it really is an Inn, so it's big enough that the owners aren't in your face and you have space and privacy. The room we stayed in had a fireplace (fake logs) and was charming.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Diana

Sorry, I don't think the Cobblestone Inn is wihtin your $130 limit. Although heavy snacks in the afternoon can cut down on the cost of dinner.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 12:24 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:20 PM
E.

Re: Carmel, I would second an above idea and suggest you consider staying in Monterey, Asilomar or Pacific Grove. You'll have to drive to Carmel, but these spots are very beautiful, slightly less pricy on the whole, and won't feel at all like slumming. Asilomar in particular is wild and feels remote, though it isn't; PG is postcard-pretty and known for its B&B's; and Monetery offers lodging from the high end o motels and many choices in between. A last resort--no pun intended!-- would be Seaside, which isn't at all picturesque, but is within very easy driving distance of more attractive spots and offers perhaps the most reasonably priced lodging in the area.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:19 PM
joesorce

We also love the Harbor View in Santa Barbara, if it's a week when they have a special package rate or discount offer.

Best Western Franciscan is a decent choice as is the Ambassador by the Sea.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Bob

Forgot: Go to pacificgrove.org and check out all the places to stay. This is the town all the locals know and love and the tourists are not really aware of. Great B and Bs and more ocean to walk and enjoy. Only a short drive to Carmel.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:10 PM
tyrannulet

We did the drive from SF to LA a few years ago in October. We stayed in Pacific Grove at the Butterfly Grove Inn. [check out pacificgrove.com], the area is known for the migration of Monarchs that rest at Monterey in October, it was nice and clean and they upgraded us to a suite. Woke up in the morning and there were deer in the grove beside the Inn. We had our coffee out there and watched them. Fantastic! And reasonable. [we're from Canada too!]We checked out Pebble Beach [didn't golf though $$$$$$$!], went through Carmel and had lunch there. And then continued on our way south.

We also stayed in Santa Barbara, and I must say it was the nicest place we stayed our whole trip down! We stayed at the Beachcomber, which is now called Hotel Oceana I think. Right across from the beach, and close to State Street [shopping]. Again reasonable. Beautiful city! Make sure you shop around for rates though, because two comparable properties side by side would have very different rates, and we made sure to get the best rate we could by talking them down, cause "the guy down the street was cheaper". Have a great time!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:14 PM
loangalsal

We stayed at the Cliff House Inn just outside of Santa Barbara and loved it. It is right on the ocean and has a nice little restaurant and outdoor pool. Here is the website:

http://www.cliffhouseinn.com/

Have fun!

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me forewarn anyone thinking about staying at "Cliff House Inn" - DON'T!!!

It is not "just outside" SB. It is 16 miles south of SB. All rooms are about 20 feet from the freeway. It is extremely noisy with train and freeway noise. The building is an old, rundown structure. Our in room phone was even out of order. There are no restaurants for miles around, that's why they give you their restaurant vouchers (who wants to eat there every night)?

We checked out early after 1 sleepless night. In all fairness the hotel employees were very friendly and the pathetic rooms were clean.

We relocated to downtown SB to a beautiful hotel room that happened to be $10.00 less per night than the overpriced Cliff House.

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Peter: Check out the Cabrillo Inn in Santa Barbara - it is about your price range. It sits right on the coast. We have stayed there for years and have always enjoyed ourselves. Go for one of the 4 rooms that sit on 2nd level deck on the Southside of the property. Check out their website - I believe that pricing during the week is less than week-end. In general their rates are quite a bit less than neighboring properties that have the same location on the beach. You are also close to Stearns Warf, restaurants, bike rentals, etc. Great location! Advance reservations are a must though as they do book up fairly quickly.