Acadia National Park-Must Dos ??

May 13th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Acadia National Park-Must Dos ??

We, a fam of 5(16y.o, 13,and 10 y.o boys)are planning on renting a motor home and taking a northeast trip. We have about 12 days to drive to and back home to MI. I definately want to go to Acadia, but my husband wants just to drive through. Can anyone tell me what are some must dos in the park if we only have 1 day there?
Thanks!
May 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM

One day should be enough, visit sand beach, then plan lunch at the top of Cadillac Mountain. You must take your own food and water and trash removal recepticle, however, as there are no facilites at the top, this includes bathrooms. The view is incredible and the rocks are fun for the kids to climb on as long as a parent is very close by. If the motor home you rent is not large it should make it up and down the mountain fine.
At low tide in Bar Harbor you can actually drive or walk across the sand bar to the island. If you do not craoss back before tide comes in your stuck.
Have fun.
May 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Just ONE day with kids that age?????

PLEASE rethink that! There are so many things for kids there. I'd especially recommend some of the ranger programs. Check the official Web site for details, and check here on Fodors (see DESTINATIONS above) Acadia is just about my favorite place on earth-I'd hate to see you short-change it!

~Liz
May 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM

ARKANSASNURSE:

There are bathrooms next to the GIFT SHOP on top of Cadillac Mountain!
May 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Rent bicycles and ride on the carriage paths in the park. You won't see anything good just "driving though."
May 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Not in the park itself but we did a whale watch cruise from Bar Harbor. It was great, we saw several whales. And the park is wonderful. It would be a shame to just drive through without spending some time in the area.
May 15th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. I think I have hubby talked into at least 1 1/2 days. Are any of the museums there worthwhile and not too boring for kids?
The bikes sound great especially after all the driving from MI!
May 16th, 2006, 06:55 AM
ltt

in my opinion, just driving through would be a waste. i'd recommend booking your campsite now. it gets very busy in the summer. i stayed at hadley's point campground. nothing fancy but it was one of the lesser expensive places and since you are only there one night, no sense spending a fortune. it has a swimming pool and there is a beach about a 5 minute drive away. it's close but it's totally uphill on the way back so walking is a bit of a bitch. the island buses stop at this campsite too so you can take the bus into bar harbor if you don't want to drive.
May 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Watching sunrise from the top of Cadillac is one of my most treasured memories.
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:41 AM

There is a restaurant in the park called Jordon Pond House that serves lobster bisque and popovers for lunch. It is worth the trip from anywhere in the US just to have lunch there.
Jun 4th, 2006, 07:12 AM

if you search around on the acadianinfo.com site you'll find a list called what to do if you have only 1 day, a list of what to do with kids, a list of museums, etc.
i live nearby and my personal must do is schoodic point. its not on the island. but the drive around this portion of the park is spectacular and your boys will love the point. huge rocks they can run around on (really its safe) with waves crashing. very dramatic, very beautiful and a dandy spot for a picnic lunch. http://www.acadiamagic.com/Schoodic.html
Jun 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM

is bar harbor more of a family destination?
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM

On Park Loop route...Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, a short hike at Otter Point to the tidal pools and Cadillac Mountain for a great view of Bar Harbor and the Porcupine Islands. We were there last week and my 5-year-old really enjoyed the ranger programs (free for the entire family with the $10 park admission). Maybe you can get your husband to stay on for an extra day or two by promising him a brewery tour and BBQ meal at the Atlantic Brewing Company, about 10 minutes from BH just off Route 3 (we like the Real Ale)!

If you have the time, Diver Ed was a fantastic boat trip...Ed goes underwater with a camera and picks up sea life from the ocean's floor while you watch from the boat. Then, it's hands-on time. Ed is a real trip...great personality and very entertaining.

Good luck...Bar Harbor is wonderful!

Christina

Jun 26th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I second the recommendation for the Jordan Pond House - Loved those popovers!! and it was right where we finished our bike ride too!