Acadia/Bar Harbor with toddler

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Acadia/Bar Harbor with toddler

Hi all,
I'm sure some iteration of this has been asked somewhere, but I kept finding primarily threads for families with older kids. My parents, my husband, my toddler and I will be staying just outside of Bar Harbor for the second week in June. I'm sure my parents will be off on their own here and there, but I anticipate a good number of family outings. I'm looking for ideas that are likely to be OK for a family with a toddler. I'd be happy to do 2-3 mild-moderate hikes (baby would be in a carrier) as long as I'm unlikely to run into blackfly nests on whatever trail we end up on. I really like Maine's rocky coast. Things to do/see? Whale-watching would be fun, but too boring for a toddler, so unfortunately that's out. Ocean kayaking would also be nice, but I don't think that's safe for a toddler. Some suggestions for non-nature-heavy would be welcome as well, as my mom isn't the outdoorsy type (while my husband and dad very much are). I should mention that my kid hates being in the car for long periods of time, so a half-day scenic drive is not going to be possible (although we're willing to drive to get somewhere we can explore for a while). I'd also be happy to hear a few suggestions for a fun date or two when my husband and I get to steal away without the toddler (day or evening).
Thank you!
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 02:56 AM

A friend lives in Bar Harbor and insists there's no black flies and she and her daughter hike a lot. Suggest you pick one or more gardens to visit and let your toddler lead the way. Google Acadia ME gardens. Take a sand pail/shovel and a couple of beach toys to the sand beach and just let your toddler dig. Take a picnic lunch and relax. We like to take bag chairs for picnic stops.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Hadn't thought about checking out gardens. I'll take a look!
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:08 PM

Not sure if your toddler is old enough to appreciate this, but my kids enjoyed learning how to make their own hand-churned ice cream at Udder Heaven. You and your husband might enjoy catching a show at ImprovAcadia in BarHarbor. And whether you hike, bike or drive there, you must have lunch at Jordan Pond House and eat some popovers and blueberry lemonade!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 01:54 PM

Hem47,
We have never experienced black flies in Acadia, and we've been there in all seasons, except winter. Not many mosquitoes, either.
Some suggestions:
Rent a bike (downtown BH) and take a bike ride on one of the many carriage trails throughout the area. They are off road, very scenic and safe. Some are hilly, maybe you can get a trail map. You could probably get one with a seat for the toddler.
There is a very family friendly lake, right in the middle of the area, Eagle Lake. Very shallow beach area, so safe for toddler.
I think there are horseback rides around Jordan Pond, and they might have carriage rides, too.
Outside of BH, on the way to Ellsworth, there is mini-golf, a small zoo, and a lumberjack show in summer.
For your romantic date, you and husband could take a sunset sailboat cruise around the harbor. For a nice dinner, visit the BarHarbor Inn, (right next to where the sailboats depart) for a nice dinner on their terrace.
For a nice hike, not too strenuous, we take the Gorham Mtn trail, it's about 3 hrs RT. Incredible vistas along the way, and spectacular view on top. Since you will have a carrier, it might work.
Also, there is a playground right in BH at the school, very large, so your child can run around.
You will love Acadia.