Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

About to pull the trigger on this hotel, is it worth it?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Robert

I need to decide today if I am going to reserve a room at the Ocean Key in Key West. The price for a gulf front room is $475.00 per night. I've never paid over $250.00 before and am undecided as to what to do.

To anyone who has ever stayed at this hotel, is this price about right for this time of year? How was the hotel and the grounds.

Or are they getting ready to clean my clock, the price appears to be in line with the Hyatt and Hilton.

Robert

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Oyvey

They better clean between your toes at that rate!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:13 AM
grglnswsh

It is a beautiful hotel with some of the nicest rooms on the island. The location is prime - right at the foot of Duval Street). There isn't much to the grounds. They have a nice pool area that overlooks the gulf and a pier with a bar and restaurant. The price sounds about right as it sounds like you have a great room with one of the best views on the island.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:20 AM
x

Check for any kind of discount (AAA, senior, etc) NEVER pay rack. Talk with front desk manager and tell them you are just shopping around and you are celebrating a special occasion and see what they can do.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Bristol

Wow. Amazing rates.
This place isn't even listed among the top 250 hotels in the US or anywhere on Conde Nast's Gold List or 'also rans' list. That's a lot of bucks for a non-resort hotel.
Oyvey was right!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:22 AM
susan

We stayed at the Ocean Key last year. I assume that for that price you're getting a suite. I can't remember what we paid for ours, but I think it was between 300 and 400 a night. Our accommodations were nice, but our balcony overlooked an outside bathroom, and that was a big disappointment. If you've got a great view of the Gulf and a full suite (including kitchen, which we had) it probably will be worth the money, at least by Key West standards. We prefer the Galleon, which is just down Front Street. It's expensive, too, but not that expensive. You might check their website before making a final decision. It's galleonresort.com

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Chris

Way too much money, Robert!! Shop around. That seems expensive even for Key West.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:28 AM
garyt

Robert- I have stayed at the Ocean Key and although it is in a great location, you can save about $150 a night and upgrade to a nicer property about two blocks away.
I booked Easter week at the Marquesa Hotel (Poolside Deluxe for $275). I have also stayed at the Gardens Hotel for around $300/night and both of those properties are much nicer than the Ocean Key. The obvious trade off are the Ocean View and the ability to stumble out of your room for the sunset celebration at Mallory Pier.

For the $150 a night, you need to decide how important the view is... because you are taking a lesser quality hotel and paying more, just to be on the ocean.

Personnally, I have tried both and prefer the lush gardens and pools of the other hotels away from the action. The five minute walk to the ocean is through the best part of Duval Street.

It has nothing to do with the money...

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Celeste

OK, some of you won't believe this, but it's true.

I have walked off the street (in non-peak times) and gotten a Gulf-front suite at the Ocean Key House for $125. This was when they were under their previous management, when they were a House, not a Resort.

The point I'm trying to make is, unless you're talking about very peak times, EVERY rate is negotiable. Of course, I was asking at 6 PM for that night and the next few nights (I have relatives in the area to fall back on), but I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay that for Ocean Key or ANYWHERE else in the universe!

I suggest you get their lowest rate (from a manager), get a price for a nice condo - and TELL HIM that is your alternate choice and you are leaning towards that. But PLEASE don't pay that price or anything close to it!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:56 AM
rhm

I just received a fax confirming the room rate but with NO guarantee that we would have the specific room we wanted.

There is no way I am going to fork over that kind of rate and not be assured of the room we requested. I may check the Galleon if it is Gulf Front. Gulf Frontage is a pre-requisite for any room we book.

I am flying into Ft Lauderdale for a seminar on 2/22. We (wife and I) may just hang around there for a few days instead of going to the Keys.

Thanks for all the replys.

Robert

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:18 AM
susan

Robert - the Galleon has rooms that overlook the pool/gulf...rooms that over the gulf but not the pool, and rooms that overlook the marina. We prefer the marina rooms because we like watching the boats come and go. I'm not real crazy about the pool/gulf views because you see LOTS of pool and the gulf is in the distance. I say rooms, but actually mean condos.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:27 AM
grglnswsh

That late in Feb is into season but I would still shop an compare. If you choose the O.K.R. book it through a manager and call several times to confirm and make sure your request is noted. I always say the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The are a first class place and will always do their best to accomodate any and all request (especially for the $$$ you would pay). They are run by Noble House which oversees some of the nicest resorts in Florida.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:56 PM
grglnswsh

O.K.......so this question has been bothering me. Specific room accommidations cannot be guaranteed but the room type you are paying for has to be OR the hotel/motel/B&B cannot confirm the room rate. Maybe there was some misunderstanding. If you are paying for a gulf view, thats what you should get unless there is some unforseeable thing which can happen. For example, One of the hotels which has a waterfront building had a ceiling in one of its rooms cave in and the building basically had to be closed off, torn down and rebuilt. This all happened 4-5 years ago and it was a mess as it was a building that is always full with future reservations. What they can't promise is a certain room number. Call again but this time talk to the manager.