Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A'apali Cliff House, Huelo-- any reviews?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just come across this place and it looks great. It's in Conde Nast Traveller Feb 2004, which seems legit. I'd love some personal feedback though. It's for our honeymoon!!

We're not beach people or resort people really. We want a nice place to stay that is memorable, and we will be doing a fair amount of hiking and exploring. We want to snorkel and possibly dive, too. Would it be inconvenient to stay 6 nights in Huelo? After we head to Kauai, so we'll have other opportunities for beaches, etc.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Barsa-
Take a look at my trip report and follow-up messages which I just updated this morning. If you can't find it try http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1
In regard to your specific questions there is a beach about 10 minutes away which is one of the best windsurfing locations in the world. You will pass it on your way to the Cliffhouse from the airport. Hiking and exploring are perfect, as you would be staying right at the beginning of the road to Hana. Considering you are going to Kauai, I would not worry about missing what is offered in the Lahiana area or the Wailea area except for the Warren and Annabelle show. We thought that was a hoot. Spend a couple of hours in Lahaina before the show to do some shopping, see the show, head back to your Cliffhouse. As I mentioned in my previous trip report, the biggest annoyance was the geckos. They stay in the rafters and mind their own business, but they do make a loud noise on occasion. I forgot the mention the sunrises are spectacular. It is a very different vacation than staying in a hotel. Some may not like having to travel by car out of the compound to access other sites, restaurants, activities. Have a great time whatever you decide.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response! I had seen your earlier review and your addition to that message was helpful too.

You said the bedroom by the pool was not appealling-- may I ask why?

Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:44 AM

There was not much ventilation. We slept in the main house because the breezes were wonderful and the bathroom was there (convenient in the middle of the night). The pool is just 20 feet from the cliffhouse, but it seemed like a long way in the middle of the night. Also, we are both early risers and loved watching the sunrise which was not possible by the bedroom near the pool. We kept our clothes in the closets in the bedroom by the pool. I must say that when we arrived and I found out that there was no airconditioning, I panicked. We could not believe that we did not ask that question prior to arrival. The reality was that we didn't need it. It was breezy up on the mountain, but never too cool that we felt we couldn't use the hottub, or shower outdoors. By the way there are two showers outdoors, both very private. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We've decided to book and we'll be there in August! We'll have to post a report on our return.

I hope we can find something as unique in Kauai!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Barsa, where's your review??? I would love to hear about your stay!!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM

While we were just on Maui in September we met a couple during a boat trip staying at this place on their honeymoon. They really gave it high recommendations. I had looked into this place during my planning so I knew all about it. They had a great time there and thought it was beautiful.