AA- use miles or earn miles.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advise. I have an award ticket on hold until today.

I am in Toronto I will be travelling to Lima, Peru. If I purchase the ticket it will cost me $1000. I am a Platinum member and I earn double miles, I will earn about 16,000 miles for this ticket.

An award ticket is also available on the same on the same dates. This costs 30,000 miles and $70 in taxes.

What should I do?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Hello goingtomiami, I have always read that one should not think of banked FF miles as one does with "cash in the bank" and should use them when possible. I would opt for using the FF miles but it will be interesting to see what our Fodorite experts advise.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Hello again goingtomiami, you might want to post your question on the Airline Board also as AAFF will no doubt be sure to see it and will give you very good advise. Best regards.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM

My experience with AAdvantage is that the program has gone downhill in recent years - fewer available seats on desirable flights, more fees, higher mileage requirements, etc. It used to be a great program but I dropped my AA credit card a few years ago and finally used up my last AA miles last year.

Anyway, I now put my AA miles on Alaska (where I can automatically use my miles on partner airlines including AA).

To answer your question: I wouldn't personally want to keep my AA miles around if I had an opportunity to use them; if AA has good flights for you that you can get with 30K miles and $70, I'd probably go for it. And I'd not be excited about an incentive of another 16K miles on any airline given that most of the frequently flyer programs have tightened up in recent years and miles themselves seem to be worth much less than before.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM

What about the best of both worlds--purchase a coach seat and then use miles to upgrade? That way you're still earning miles as you fly.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM

I did reply to your question on the Airline forum but I would like to chime in here.

Do NOT listen to the nay-sayers.

The mileage game is still fun and very much rewarding.

I have collected close to 2M miles in the last 6 years or so, used about 80% of the miles with great success. Few adjustments here and there but overall I got the dates, flights that I wanted. Had wonderful trips to Africa, S.America, Asia, Europe, all in first class or business class.

I need to fly for business and I would have no choice but to fly regardless if the airline(s) offered something in return or nothing. Since they do, and it's part of the ticket price, take the miles whenver you can and worry about spending the free perk later.

It seems like Andrew is a domestic flyer only and from what I have seen around here he prefers Southwest. Nothing wrong with the airline but how many free international trips has he earned on some of the world's best airlines like Qantas, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, LAN, AA in first class or at the very least in business class? How many times has he visited, enjoyed the great CX, QF, BA. AA first class lounges during his travels. Full bar, spa treatments, sit down dinners, private sleeping rooms, all free, etc, etc...?

It's true the miles are getting devalued every so often but at the end they are still free, so what's the problem?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM

AAFrequentFlyer: It seems like Andrew is a domestic flyer only and from what I have seen around here he prefers Southwest.

Oh - my dirty little secret is out! I hope you won't judge me even more harshly when you learn that sometimes I ride public transit and (gasp!) don't have a cleaning service.

Nothing wrong with the airline but how many free international trips has he earned on some of the world's best airlines like Qantas, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, LAN, AA in first class or at the very least in business class? How many times has he visited, enjoyed the great CX, QF, BA. AA first class lounges during his travels. Full bar, spa treatments, sit down dinners, private sleeping rooms, all free, etc, etc...?

Das rite, boss, us he poo folk canna ford ta trava like ya rich 'uns!

Thanks for showing us your true colors as a classist snob. But, the fact that you look down your nose at others doesn't change the fact that AA's frequent flyer program has gone downhill in recent years, now, does it? That there are fewer flights available (or fewer convenient flights), with higher fees and higher mileage requirements?

And those miles aren't "free" by the way - they cost (someone), one way or another. If you fly for business, the cost is absorbed by the business. Your "free" perks are paid for by business costs, not by AA. The "mileage game" only pays off nowadays if someone else is paying for it, like your employer.

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I wasn't trying to be a snob but apparently you are trying hard to be an ass.

Explain to me how a $500 fare to London earning miles will cost any less if I don't fly AA or earn miles?

btw, my employer is required through their contract with US gov to purchase US based airline tickets only. My employer gives us a choice between AA, UA or CO. I pick AA as I like their FF program, I know it well and I use it to the fullest. It doesn't cost my employer anymore or less if I have chosen UA or CO. The airline offers something in return so I take it, see what can be done with it and try to get the most out of it. It has worked for me and many others.

If you fly SW frequently you do get credit for free flights on SW don't you? does it cost you or you employer any more or less?

Remember "green stamps"? the grocery stores gave them out according to how much you spent. It was up to you to decide whether it was any more expensive to patronize the grocery store that gave out the stamps or the one that did not. My parents were old world and they counted their pennies. My father would actually keep track of grocery story receipts and compare prices. With grocery stores it was easy as they were all selling the same products. One day my father declared that the "green stamp" store was actually cheaper than the non "green stamp" store about 75% of the time.

It was an incentive program and so is the airline FF program.

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM

AAFrequentFlyer: btw, my employer is required through their contract with US gov to purchase US based airline tickets only. My employer gives us a choice between AA, UA or CO. I pick AA as I like their FF program,

Right, but your employer is not required to give you the miles. Some employers do not. It's a perk you get, like being able to take home paperclips or pens and have the company not care.

If you want to champion AA's frequent flyer program, be my guest. I see no need why you need to imply that somehow my opinion that their program has gone downhill is somehow less valid because I happen to prefer Southwest or don't have the same perks you get from your company.

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM

perhaps you missed this part of my post:

It's true the miles are getting devalued every so often but at the end they are still free, so what's the problem?

Your argument is getting weaker and weaker with each post.....
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

About half an hour ago I posted a reply to my thread on the same topic on the Airlines forum, I tried to post a reply on this thread but I had to reboot my computer, what fun. Hopefully, the computers fixed, for once and for all.

Hello LoveItaly, AAFF, escrowe and Andrew, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately, things are getting ugly on this thread.

The mileage game is fun, but, it's not what it used to be. I think all FF programs have gone downhill. I have collected about a million miles (in different FF programs), and use them to travel to just about everywhere I have wanted to go. Sometimes in economy, sometimes in business, sometimes in first. Oh, how nice it is to fly free in First and Business, especially on a long haul flight. I must admit that the miles don't see to buy as much these days, but I NEVER pass on an oppourtunity to collect miles. When I am purchasing a ticket I make sure that I am able to accumulate miles in an existing FF account.

I am leaning towards redeeming the miles. The way I see it 25K (5K less than what I'm redeeming) is a free domestic ticket, this would never cost me anything near $1000.

My biggest incentive in paying for a ticket is to requalify for Platinum, unfortunatly, I doubt this will be possible. So, it boils down to do I want to spend $1000 and earn 16K miles. Either way I am a very happy AAdvantage member. AA and the other airlines with which I have earned/redeemed miles have been good to me.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM

the value of the miles you are considering spending is about 3 cents per mile. That is better than the usually quoted value of 2 cents per mile. I would use the FF miles in this case