Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A1A or I-95 North (Florida from Ft Lauderdale Airport) in Rush Hour???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
wow
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate driving major highways especially during evening rush hour. Arriving Ft. Lauderdale Airport around 5:00PM Friday & heading North after I pick up my rental car. Going to Lauderdale-by-the Sea/Pompano area. If I take A1A instead of I-95N from the airport, how much longer will it take for me to get to Pompano (around Atlantic Blvd)? Atlantic Blvd wld be my exit if I take I-95 N.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:51 PM
jd

I usually chose between A1A and route 1 from the airport,and usually take rte 1 during traffic hour.Take 14th street off of rte 1,and it will bring you right to Lighthouse cove.It takes about 1/2 hr.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Just flew into FLL 2 weeks ago - drove north to Boca Raton. Since flight arrived mid-day on a Wednesday, traffic was not as much of an issue. But since our hotel was right on Rte 1 and I did not know where I was going, took that. Maddening number of traffic lights and terrifying number of drivers cutting across 2 lanes of traffic to make a turn. However, also drove I95 during rush hour (to West Palm Beach) and there is a lot of construction going on, so that adds to congestion.

So if you really hate major highways, take Route 1 - but do not expect it to be much better than I95. I have no idea what A1A would be like, but since it is along beach and one lane in each direction, I imagine it would depend on weather.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Rte 1 is ok but if you would like a more scenic less hectic pace, try A1A through FLL beach area into Pompano,,,it would be a better intro to the area IMO.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM
wow
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody!
Ok, then I will avoid I-95N. Now, from the Ft Lauderdale airport going North are A1A & Route 1 clearly marked? Is Route 1 that jd mentioned US 1 ( Is that also called "Federal Highway"....all of these "ones"...it gets confusing!) From the last time that I was there, I recall that I-95N was clearly marked b/c that is what I took to go to Lago Mar in FLL. I think that US 1( Route 1??) is also clearly marked. But what about A1A from the airport??? Do I have to take US1 from the airport to Sunrise or some such exit to go East to A1A? Then North on A1A.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Take 1 aka Federal till you get to 17th street turn right then take the causeway.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM

From the airport, Route 1 is so clearly marked you can't miss it (last week I did not have directions and had no trouble, even though I had been awake since 3:30 AM to catch flight).

I have no idea if A1A is marked, but I do not recall seeing signs for it. Remember, airport is on land side of Intercoastal Waterway, and A1A is on the ocean side. I would stick with Rte 1, which is Federal Highway, North Federal Highway. If you are looking for any specific street number on this road, remember that they change with each city/town you enter - the numbers do not go progressively higher or lower thru the entire state!

By the way, the FLL airport has a brand new car rental center that is wonderful. Outside each airline terminal, you hop a free bus called "Rental Car Center". It only goes one place - no decisions to make. When you get there, go into the building. It has 3 levels, clearly marked which level for which rental car company. Go to correct level and correct car company. After you complete paperwork, you have a very short walk into a multi-level garage with rental cars right there (portion of garage for each company is right near that counter, on same level).

When you return rental car, as soon as you are on airport grounds, there are numerous signs for rental car return. Do not get alarmed if you think you have passed it, as you will drive all the way past airport and then to rental car building.

Get your car, follow signs to exit from garage, and then signs to Route 1. It really is easy.