Charter Fishing in Myrtle Beach with Kids Under 12

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will have four kids (ages, 8, 10, 11, 12) that like to fish. Any recommendations on a company? Would prefer a half day trip. This will be end of June. Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I think your best bet is Voyager in North Myrtle Beach. The kids under 12 are $32. Adults are $40 for a trip from 8:30AM to 1:30PM. Pack plenty of water and high SPF sunscreen.
Hope that none of them get seasick (highly possible). Some people are fearful when they get out of sight of land. Check their website for further details on what to expect.
My only experiences with saltwater deep sea fishing was many years ago from ports in Delaware.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. Should probably try something a little more low key, I guess. Do you know of fishing on a river?
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:47 AM

You might also see about Charters out of Little River just north of MB--it's a fishing port. Tom may becorrect about some of the pitfalls of fishing from the boat but get some bonine for everyone and have at it. Could be a LOT of fun.
I don't think there is any river fishing but you can fish off of numerous piers up and down the coast. There is one at Ocean Isle NC a little way north. Google fishing piers
You can also do crabbing, always fun for kids. Get chicken neckes, tie on a rope, find some flats, get a net and entice them in.
There is surf fishing all along the coast. It requires some sort of license now but the kids may be free. You'd need to find a beach that isn't crowded to keep from hooking swimmers. the area of Pawley's Island I mentioned (turn right when on the island and go to the end.
When you google piers see if they will rent gear, unless you are bringing yours. Freshwater gear won't work very well for pier fishing.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:48 AM

Another activity for your kids would be a trip up to Wilmington (about an hour) to see the battleship NC. It is a real relic of the past. Wilmington has good surf so maybe you would get them a surf lesson up there on the same day.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 08:06 AM

"The kids under 12 are $32. Adults are $40 for a trip from 8:30AM to 1:30PM. "

BarYvo - that's really inexpensive for a day on the water. You should strongly consider it. Getting a guide for river fishing won't be a better financial bet than that.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:48 AM

I also agree that that is a good price.
There are bridges and causeways to fish from. In 50 years of going to the Carolina coast, I have never heard of river fishing when the ocean and intracoastal waterway are right there. LOL
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Inquired re the river since I don’t know the area and where I live, on Lake Michigan, we have a river also used often for fishing....easier with kids. Will give the charter boat a call.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:31 AM

That is a natural about your local river fishing!! There is lots to do in the area, indoors and out.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:32 AM

Oh, of course the de rigeur thing to do at Carolina beaches with kids is miniature golf!! And there are water slides--one at Surfside Beach just south of MB.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 12:02 PM

I'd be wary of a charter with young kids -- if one kid is miserable for any reason, a party boat will not return early. If you do a private charter and one of the kids gets sick, etc. you may choose to return early but you'll pay for the entire thing anyway. When my friends in hawaii would fish as little kids, their parents would not let them come in early under any circumstances and one of them recalls having to fish all day with a really large 2 inch hook in his scalp. They only went to the hospital to have it cut off his head after the day was done, and the fish and boat were cleaned, like 8 hours later....

I think pier fishing is great with kids as long as you can keep them from overhead casting and if it's not crowded. There's often steady action which is key for keeping the younger ones entertained and they can walk around a bit too.