Search

A week in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 01:16 PM
val

A week in Georgia

We will be visiting Georgia the first week of October and would like some suggestions of places to see.What is the weather like on the coast at this time?

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 02:54 PM
Julie

You might want to check out this website; www.acvb.com You can also request an Atlanta Dream Pass that gives you discounts to different attracations in the Georgia area.

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 06:57 AM
Carole

You must include Savannah in your visit to Georgia. It is such a beautiful city with its architecture and squares. The GA coast should still be warm - probably in the 70s during the day. St. Simons and Jekyll Islands are both very nice places, and shouldn't be terribly busy this time of year. Another place you might consider is the north Georgia mountain area. It may be a little early to see the leaves changing, but there is some beautiful scenery there. The town of Dahlonega comes to mind, with its crafts, antique stores and bed & breakfasts. To me Atlanta is just a big sprawling city, and except for the Coca-Cola museum and Stone Mountain there's not much for tourists.

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 07:11 PM
kim

MLK Center is good for a picture of this great leader and the Civil Rights movement. It is down the street from Oakland Cemetary, which is the burial ground of many famous Georgians like Margaret Mitchell. By the way her home is located in midtown Atlanta & is worth the visit. If you are a history buff Pickett's Mill and Kennesaw Mtn in Cobb County are excellent choices. I took my 5th grade class to the Cyclorama right outside Grant Park and the Atlanta Zoo. They loved it. If you will be on the coast, check out Ft. Pulaski active during the Civil War. Andersonville which was a prison for Union soldiers is also available for tours. For nature lovers, Okefenokee Swamp deserves a tour. I have not been to Plains GA which has a museum a historic site to former Pres. Jimmy Carter. Speaking of him, also in Atlanta is the Carter Presidential Center, another good choice. I hope this helps!

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 07:12 PM
kim

MLK Center is good for a picture of this great leader and the Civil Rights movement. It is down the street from Oakland Cemetary, which is the burial ground of many famous Georgians like Margaret Mitchell. By the way her home is located in midtown Atlanta & is worth the visit. If you are a history buff Pickett's Mill and Kennesaw Mtn in Cobb County are excellent choices. I took my 5th grade class to the Cyclorama right outside Grant Park and the Atlanta Zoo. They loved it. If you will be on the coast, check out Ft. Pulaski active during the Civil War. Andersonville which was a prison for Union soldiers is also available for tours. For nature lovers, Okefenokee Swamp deserves a tour. I have not been to Plains GA which has a museum a historic site to former Pres. Jimmy Carter. Speaking of him, also in Atlanta is the Carter Presidential Center, another good choice. I hope this helps!