Reload this Page >

A Walk On The Upper West Side

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Sarah

My husband and I are going to spend a long weekend in NYC in late March -- just the two of us. Can't wait. We've been before with the family and did the tourist things and stayed in midtown. This time we're staying at the Beacon and will probably spend most of our three days just walking, walking, absorbing the New York experience ... browse one or more of the art museums, eat well, champagne somewhere at night with a view. Sigh. Anyway: since walking/looking is what we like to do, can a native Fodorite take me on a walk around the Upper West Side starting at the Beacon (75th and Broadway)? We know there's lots to see and do in every direction, but where to start?! You might say "you can't go wrong no matter what," but two years ago we couldn't seem to hit a groove on an unplanned walk in the West Village; we never found the best streets, etc. I guess we're dense, or blissed on the area, or something...If ya'll aren't too grouchy out there, can you help us find walking bliss on the Upper West Side?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Frank

I would recommend a walking guide book, I've generally had luck with Frommers. The following describes a possible choice, Frommer's Memorable Walks. Walk 9 is the Upper West Side.

Walking is the best way to get to know a city intimately, exploring its neighborhoods and taking time to savor its details and hidden treasures, so follow Frommer’s for an up-close-and-personal look at New York City. We’ve designed ten fabulous walking tours, taking in the city’s most intriguing neighborhoods. Each route takes a few hours and comes complete with detailed directions, suggested refreshment stops for snacks along the way, and an accompanying map.

Let Frommer’s introduce you to the ethnic neighborhoods, the historic homes, the world-class shopping, and the daring modern architecture that make New York unique. We’ll immerse you in the sights and sounds of Chinatown, with stops for the city’s best dim sum. You’ll stroll through the canyons of lower Manhattan, with visits to the New York Stock Exchange and the site where George Washington was inaugurated. You’ll explore the literary haunts of Greenwich Village, the cutting-edge galleries of SoHo, the poshest homes on the Upper East Side, the loveliest parts of Central Park, and the tree-lined streets of Brooklyn Heights (with its fabulous views of the Manhattan skyline).

Slim and easy-to-carry, Frommer’s Memorable Walks in New York City offers a wonderful way to make the city your own!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
kit

The Beacon's in a great location! As you may know, most of the shops and restaurants are on the north/south streets (Broadway, Amsterdam, Columbus from west to east) and the residences/brownstones are on the numbered streets (generally).

If I were you, I'd just head east on 75th and when you got to Columbus, turn right (or left) and mosey on. Next time, turn the opposite direction. You'll figure it out in no time. And of course, Central Park is beautiful in that area.

There is a "flea" market at 76th and Columbus on Sundays that you may find fun.

Really, you're in a "can't miss" area. If you walk all the named streets (and walk down the numbered ones that interest you), you'll see it all.

Have a blast! I used to live on 75th and loved the area...

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Merilee

Hi Sarah...some suggestions are...you can walk east to Central Park West where you will find the Museum of Natural History (Planetarium is there) on 79th Street...if you make a right turn onto Central Park West you can walk to 72nd Street where the Dakota is(apartment building where John Lennon lived along with many other celebrities through the years)...cross the street to Central Park and you can visit Strawberry Fields, the area dedicated to John Lennon...I also want to mention that as you walk east toward Central Park West you will pass Columbus Avenue which has many nice shops and restaurants...if you want to continue walking through the park you can proceed to Wollman Ice Skating Rink, which will lead you to Central Park South (Plaza Hotel, horse drawn carriage rides) and 5th Avenue...another idea from your hotel is to walk north to Riverside Church at about West 122nd Street and Riverside Drive...it is a beautiful non-demoninational church...Grant's Tomb is in the vicinity also...there may be posters who disagree about the area, but you will be fine during the day...you can also walk to 110th Street and Amsterdam Avenue to visit the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, which is an incredible sight to see (for a church in the US)...this neighborhood is home to Columbia University and it's very diverse...and again, you'll be fine...I always enjoy walking through the neighborhoods of any city I visit to see the real side of it...this neighborhood also has many nice little cafes and restaurants and bookstores...if you want more detailed info, post back...my father used to have his pharmacy in this area so I can answer questions you may have.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:34 AM
lisa

Sarah -- if you'll be around on 3/23, you might consider one of the Big Onion Walking tours of the Upper West Side. I think the tours are great -- all of the guides are PhD's in history and the tours are really well done.

Here is a link to more info:

http://www.bigonion.com/

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Sarah

Thank you all so much. Can't wait after reading your posts. Merilee, I might e-mail you after I do a little more research. Lisa, thanks; we're going March 29 and we really want to keep our "tour" to the two of us. But thank you kindly. Anyone, where's a good place to sit near a window (indoors, it may be cold), have a good coffee, and people watch?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Merilee

Sarah, I think you and your husband will like the French Roast Cafe at 2340 Broadway...great coffee and desserts (food, too) and a table by the window on Broadway for a fabulous people watching opportunity.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Merilee

Just another suggestion...this one for dinner...romantic rooftop restaurant called The Terrace at West 119th Street between Amsterdam Avenue and Morningside Drive...(212)666-9460...wonderful views and very good food.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:40 PM
allie

As an upper west side resident, I wouldn't recommend the French Roast cafe. It's overcrowded, overpriced, and not very good. (Sorry to the previous poster!) I think I'd recommend instead any of the cafes on Columbus Ave, like the Columbus Bakery (crowded but a real crowd-watching place with amazing food) or the less popular (but really good) Lenny's Cafe on 75th (74th?) and Columbus. A nice walk is up Riverside Drive. Start at 72nd where you can enter by heading down a hill/stairs (just past the Eleanor Roosevelt statue) and along the water, past the marina, etc. Head up again at any point to exit the park and be sure to walk a little along riverside drive itself b/c the apartments are incredible. Definitely hit Central Park and see the Dakota on the way!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
allie

As an upper west side resident, I wouldn't recommend the French Roast cafe. It's overcrowded, overpriced, and not very good. (Sorry to the previous poster!) I think I'd recommend instead any of the cafes on Columbus Ave, like the Columbus Bakery (crowded but a real crowd-watching place with amazing food) or the less popular (but really good) Lenny's Cafe on 75th (74th?) and Columbus. A nice walk is up Riverside Drive. Start at 72nd where you can enter by heading down a hill/stairs (just past the Eleanor Roosevelt statue) and along the water, past the marina, etc. Head up again at any point to exit the park and be sure to walk a little along riverside drive itself b/c the apartments are incredible. Definitely hit Central Park and see the Dakota on the way!

I’d recommend Nikos Meditteranean Grill on Bway and 76th (not the little hotdog place but the corner restaurant/diner) as a fantastic and not crowded place for brunch or dinner. Also check out Edgar’s on 84th (former house of Edgar Allen Poe, supposedly) for unbelievable late-night coffee and desserts to die for. Laylo (on 85th b/w Bway and Amsterdam) is super famous, having been the featured date spot in “You’ve Got Mail” (where she sits with the rose on the table waiting…) and is wonderful but often over-crowded and pricey.

The cafe at Lincoln Center is fun to people watch, and check out John's Pizza (and other italian foods) on 64th b/w Columbus and Central Park West for amazing NY pizza.

have fun!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Sarah

Thanks to you all. I'll report back when we return about our favorite spots.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:39 PM
KY

If it were me, I'd hit Zabar's! Come to think of it, that IS what I did when I stayed at the Beacon.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Anthony

As a resident of the UWS, here are some of my suggestions:
* Good brunch place: Time Cafe, @ 85 & Bwy. The Prix Fixe brunch provides alot of food for the price.
* Very cheap but good breakfast:Jackson Hole, @ Columbus and 84th. Although known for their huge burgers, they also serve the standard brkfst food (eggs, french toast, pancakes) at dirt cheap prices; $3-4 which include juice and coffee too!
* New hot spot restaurant: Ouest Restaurant, @ Bdwy & 84/85th
* Great New Deli Restaurant: Arties, @ Bdwy & 83/84th
* Great food store browsing: Zabars, Fairway, & Citterellas

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:42 PM
patty

Hi - another west sider checking in. Let's see, in addition to all the great suggestions above, if the weather is nice I would repeat the advice to Go To The Parks! That's where many of the residents are. Central Park goes without saying so here's some more details on Riverside Park.

Allie suggests entering the park at 72nd St, where Eleanor Roosevelt's statue, and a dog run, is. Go all the way down to the water. You can go a couple of blocks south to the newest dock - not much to do there except enjoy the day and the view. On most days you can look uptown and see The Little Red Lighthouse at the foot of the George Washington Bridge. The boat basin is up on 79th St - I think you'll be there too soon in the year for the cafe to open up, but on warm weather days, I love to hang out at the Boat Basin Cafe, especially around sunset time.

You can keep walking along the river, sitting on a bench to people watch, or if you come up to street level, there's a monument at 89th St - the Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument to the Civil War dead - and a statue of Joan of Arc at 93rd St. which has stones from Rheims Cathedral.

As for city walking, you can choose any avenue. West End is all residential, except for some schools and medical offices, as is Riverside Drive & Central Park West. Amsterdam Ave, to me, is the main restaurant/bar street, and Columbus is the shopping street, but of course once I say that, I think of all the good restaurants on Columbus. Any cross street can be interesting - Claremont Stables is on 89th St, Cafe Lalo on 83rd St, etc.

The funny thing is I can't think of a gaze-out-the-window kind of eating place. Lots of outdoor sidewalk cafes if it's nice out where you can do that. The places I like to linger and people watch when I'm alone include the Fairway Cafe for lunch, on the 2nd floor of Fairway Market (Broadway & 74th) - soups, omelettes, vegetable plate, fab desserts. Then there's Cafe La Fortuna on 71st St, east of Columbus - Italian coffee and desserts for late nights. And way uptown from you - on 110th St between Columbus & Manhattan Ave - is Miss Mamie's Spoonbread, just in case you visit St. John's up there. Miss Mamie's serves Southern/soul food and I just love sitting in there on a weekend afternoon.

Have a good time here!