Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A Trip of Turtles: Beachgirl86 is back from Oahu and Big Island!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!
Just got home this morning from a wonderful 2 weeks on Oahu and the Big Island. I will be posting my trip report this weekend hopefully. I will hook it right on to this thread. Feel free to ask any questions, too! Thanks for all the great tips that made this trip even better than last year's
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time! (Was there ever any doubt?!).

Anxiously awaiting your TR!

Belle
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Belle!

DH and I had a fabulous time. We wanted to relax more this trip, since last year we did so much running around trying to see everything. He is 36 and I turned 27 on the trip. We love Hawaii even more after this trip

DAY 1: Flew American, BOS to LAX to HNL, got in around 7:15 p.m. As a side note, we had the RUDEST flight attendents ever! They were like Sat. Night Live caricatures. They were heavily made up (one blond and one brunette) and were so nasty and condescending to all the passengers, my hubby and I watched in amazement. But they did it all with sicky sweet smiles on their faces, scolding everyone like we were bad little boys and girls. It was truly bizarre.

We took a cab to Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for about $30. We stayed in this hotel last year for 2 nights and loved it.

Now, the original plan for this trip was 5 nights Waikiki, 3 nights at Turtle Bay on the North Shore, and 5 nights at Hapuna Beach on the Big Island. A couple of days before the trip, however, I decided to stay at Outrigger for our entire 8 nights on Oahu. This was not because we didn't want to experience the North Shore, it was more about relaxing and not changing hotels. Last year we changed hotels 4 times in 2 weeks, this year we wanted to relax! (Last summer we did 2 nights Oahu, 4 BI, and 7 Maui).

We checked in, and got upgraded from City View to Partial Ocean View and were given room 122. GREAT ocean view, much more than a partial! Plenty of blue water, surfers, beach walkers, and palm trees to gaze at from the balcony. I was a little nervous I wouldn't enjoy Waikiki as much for 8 nights as we did for the 2 nights last summer, but we LOVED it. We really feel in love with the island of Oahu during this trip.

We grabbed a quick dinner in the bar at the Hula Grill (pork pot stickers, cheeseburger, and chicken sandwich) before grabbing supplies at ABC -- we love that store -- and crashing.

DAY 2: Being from the East Coast, we were up early, around 6 a.m. We adore the location of the Outrigger, and love opening up the curtains while the sun is still coming up and watching the surfers in the early morning light. At this time of day, Waikiki is quiet and so magical.

This was the day of our 1st anniversary, and although most mornings we just enjoyed bagels and fruit on our balcony, we went to Duke's for the breakfast buffet on this day. About $26 for the two of us, and there was a great selection of food. Bagels, fruit, eggs, bacon, rice, french toast, omelette station, etc...Lots to chose from and you can't beat the location on Waikiki!

We worked out in the gym after breakfast, which is the only area of the Outrigger that could use improvement. Very small and kind of old. It is positioned under the pool, so you can watch the swimmers while you work out. We had to wave to A LOT of kids that week, and saw one couple that was a little too close for comfort under the water

The Outrigger slips a newsletter every day under your door with the goings on of the day, etc....They also welcome back returning guests and those couples celebrating honeymoons or anniversaries. It was fun seeing ourselves on there!

We grabbed some chairs on the lower sun deck, which were the only ones available after 10 a.m. or so. You have to get up very early at the Outrigger to reserve chairs at the pool (free) or rent umbrellas or chairs for the beach ($10 per chair and $15 for umbrella per day). We rented chairs VERY cheaply at Snorkel Bob's for the week, and usually just rented an umbrella from the Outrigger. We ordered Lava Flows, crab and mac nut wontons, and chicken quesadillas to enjoy on the sun deck. All excellent.

We had reservations for Duke's that night for our anniversary dinner, and it was probably the only "okay" meal we had the whole trip. We love Duke's for breakfast and lunch, but think dinner is better upstairs at the Hula Grill. I ordered steak and lobster tail ($43!) and DH ordered the large prime rib. I have never seen a bigger piece of red meat. I love steak, and it was honestly disgusting. 27 ounces of pink fat. Gross. We took a picture of it and I can hardly look at it! My lobster was good, steak was only okay. We got a free hula pie for dessert since it was our anniversary.

We walked the beach after dinner, and right when we got to the area by the banyan tree where the free nighly hula shows are, DH was struck with stomach pains and had to return to the hotel immediately. Dinner had not agreed with him! I stayed out, and watched the beautiful little girls performing in the hula show for a bit, then walked leisurely back to the hotel. On the way, 2 guys tried to hit on me, a bird crapped on me, and I got to watch all the street performers. It was fun, but I wanted to make sure DH was okay. He was, and we fell asleep fairly early. We were pretty much asleep by 10-10:30 every night!

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:19 AM

That's a nice start, how about some more?

Sorry DH got ill...and the bird... that can be a problem!(The teacher/tour director our 1st trip to Paris got splattered, and she was incensed!)

We ate one night at The Ocean House there at the Outrigger. Did you eat there and what did you think?

Belle
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Belle --
I promise to continue on Monday...I've been so busy this weekend!

Also, that restaurant is not in the Outrigger we stayed at. Maybe it is in Outrigger Reef??
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM

beachgirl86

Thanks so much for your report--hubby and I fly out on NWA (yikes, strike!) on September 22--we too are staying at the Outrigger on the Beach for all 8 days. Celebrating our 25th--your report gave me more ideas, and helped answer some questions I had not even thought of 8-) !!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

DAY 3: We got up and grabbed the last 2 chairs at the pool, this was the one annoying thing about the Outrigger. You have to be out very early for chairs. We were a little burned on our backs today, so we only stayed out for a few hours before heading into lunch at Duke's (chicken stirfry with rice and a turkey and avacado sandwich). Then it was upstairs for a nap and some reading on the balcony. I love the location of the Outrigger -- it is so convenient to everything!

We went swimming later on that afternoon -- there is nothing better than floating around on Waikiki on a $3 raft from ABC! Heavenly....this is when our "Trip of Turtles" really began. Unlike last year, we saw turltes everyday while swimming at Waikiki. I'd be floating on my raft, and all of a sudden, they would just pop their heads up for a breath. It was so cool!

That night we had the first of many dinners at Hula Grill. The food was outstanding every time. On this time we had scallop and lobster potstickers, macadamia nut opah, and a fish combo of opah and ono. All fantastic. We ended the night with walking the beach and checking out some shops.

DAY 4: Because our backs were still pink, we reserved an umbrella from the Outrigger Beach Desk. We sat on the beach all day, floating on our rafts, and watching the turtles poke their heads up and glide around under us. I truly love seeing those beautiful creatures.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Lunch at Duke's was ahi fish tacos(excellent) with Cajun seasoning, and a tuna melt (okay). Did some more lounging on the beach and swimming, and had dinner that night at Cheeseburger in Paradise. DH got a mushroom and swiss burger, and I got mine with bacon, mushrooms, and guacamole. We also started with coconut shrimp, which was excellent. Not fine dining by any stretch, but it's fun, and we enjoyed the one in Maui last year, too. This year, I ordered a Waikiki Sunburn (frozen drink) in a pineapple, and it was so fun and yummy to drink!

DAY 5: This was the day we picked up our rental car at Alamo. It was $150 for Tues. - Sat. We went right to Snorkel Bob's and rented snorkel gear for the week and 2 beach chairs. It came to only $20!

We drove to the North Shore and absolutely loved it. We LOVE Waikiki, and originally had planned on staying in both Waikiki and the North Shore, but decided to stay in 1 place for the sake of relaxation. I am glad we did this for this particular trip, but next time we stay on Oahu, I will do both Waikiki and the North Shore. We visited Turtle Bay Resort, and thought it was just lovely.

The town of Haleiwa was great, we loved it there, and we had awesome Cajun ahi sandwiches at Haleiwa Joe's for lunch.

We snorkeled Shark's Cove, which was great and a gorgeous spot, although getting in and out was tough over those rocks. Definitely a must-see.

SIDE NOTE: We used "Oahu Revealed" and "Big Island Revealed" for both parts of the trip, and that is where we got a lot of our recommendations.

We then hit what "Oahu Revealed" calls Turtle Beach, and saw an incredible amount of turtles. There was an enormous one resting on the sand, the biggest I've seen in Hawaii, and lots of others bobbing around on the surf. This was the most turtles I've ever seen in one spot, and it was magical.

Drove back to Waikiki, and had dinner at Hula Grill. Lobster and scallop potstickers, crab cakes entree, and short ribs were all fabulous. This may be my favorite restaurant of all time
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

DAY 6: Got up early, and reserved an umbrella downstairs, and put our chairs from Snorkel Bob's under it. Once you have an umbrella ($15) you have it till 5:00.

We decided to hit the Aloha Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium that day, and I got a ton of great stuff. We got DH a Hawaiian shirt ($10), and I got lots of silver jewelery, a beach dress, laser sculptures, art for our walls, etc...We probably spent a couple of hundred dollars, but by the end of the morning, we had so much stuff that I bought a large Hawaiian print suitcase to carry it all home in ($28)! It was a lot of fun, and although a lot of the stuff is the same, I would definitely go again.

We went back to Waikiki to our spot under the umbrella, and went floating on our rafts, watching the turtles again. I was amazed to be seeing them each day. Lunch was at Duke's (crab and mac nut wontons, chicken BBQ pizza, and turkey and avacado sandwich).

We stayed on the beach until 6 or so, and that was the day there was a gorgeous, huge double rainbow over Diamond Head. It was absolutely stunning. The bottom was was very deep and clear, and there was another faint one right over it.

Late dinner at Duke's that night...salad bar, mac nut and herb opah, and firecracker spicy roasted ono were all very good.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

DAY 7: We decided to have breakfast at Duke's this morning, and it was great as usual. Breakfast here runs from 7-10 every morning, and after about 7:30 or 7:45, it gets VERY busy. You just can't beat the views and location!

We got the rental car ($15 per day at Outrigger, valet parking only) and drive to the Pali Lookout via the Pali Highway. It was quite cold here and very windy! Beautiful views of the water and mountains.

We continued on the Lanikai Beach, where we spent a few hours. This is by far the most gorgeous beach I have ever been to! White sand and clear blue water, DH and I couldn't believe our eyes! We will definitely spend more time here on our next trip to Oahu. We spent 2 hours or so here swimming and sunning, and of course, taking pictures!

We drove to the North Shore after and ate a late lunch at Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck. We shared a plate of the shrimp scampi and rice, and it was delicious. The truck next door had awesome coconut banana smoothies, too. We headed to Waimea Bay for some late afternoon sunning and swimming. It's lots of fun watching the kids jump off the rocks into the water. The water is a little rougher here, and it was VERY difficult to get a parking spot.

We stopped at Turtle Beach once more on our way back to Waikiki, and again, there were large turtles sunning themselves on the beach. This time, there was a conservationist there and lots of literature on sea turtles and how to keep them safe.

I have to say, we LOVED the North Shore of Oahu. I think Oahu is an incredible island, and between Waikiki, the North Shore, and the eastern part of the island, it is so well- rounded and diverse. We really fell in love with Oahu during these 8 days. Last year, we only saw Waikiki.

Got back to Waikiki late, and had another quick dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:02 AM

Hi beachgirl86. I'm really enjoying your trip report. Good to hear that you really enjoyed Oahu and the Outrigger. My family, (DH and son, 13) are planning a trip next summer and the Outrigger is on our list of possible places to stay. Do you think the area is suitable for a 13 year old? Enough to do / see? Can't wait to hear about your Big Island adventure.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Sherrie -- Glad you are enjoying the report...I can not recommend the Outrigger enough! It has recently been re-done, so all the rooms, lobby, etc...are newly renovated. The location is perfect on Waikiki, and the restaurants in the hotel (Duke's and Hula Grill) are great. And there is SO much to do all over Oahu, we have been there twice now and still have so much to see!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM

I cant wait to read the rest of your report on the BI! My DH and I are staying at the Hapuna over Thanksgiving this year and are soooo excited!! Great report!!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

DAY 8: We got up early and drove to Hanauma Bay. We got there by 8:30 a.m. and the parking lot was already full! We were very upset since this was one of the things we definitely wanted to do, and we were leaving for the BI the next day.

When we got back to Waikiki, I got on the phone with Aloha and changed our flight the next day from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. so we could try Hanauama Bay. It cost about $40 pp to do this, but it was worth it.

We sat on Waikiki again, and had another lunch at Duke's. (Can you tell this vacation was all about relaxation?!) We had fish tacos and a chicken caesar salad, and as usual, it was all very good.

I continued my afternoon ritual of floating on my hot pink raft, and again -- saw so many incredible turtles popping their heads up every now and then. I had no idea they were so common at Waikiki with all the people!

We had dinner that night at our favorite restaurant, Hula Grill Another fabulous meal -- lobster and scallop potstickers, lobster tail, and a sesame crusted ono with ponzu sauce. Maybe the best meal we had....
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

DAY 9: This was my 27th birthday, and the day we would be leaving Oahu for the Big Island. We got up VERY early to ensure we wouldn't miss Hanauma Bay today, and got there at 7 a.m. It seems that 7 a.m. is when they start charging people to get it and park.

The snorkeling here is great. Lots of beautiful reef, but I will say we thought it was SUPERSIZE SNORKELING! Every fish was saw was HUGE -- all the same species we had scene in other spots, but much, much bigger. It was really funny. It was such a great sopt because there is so much to explore.

We left around 9:15 a.m., and the parking lot was now full, with long lines to get in. Definitely an activity to do early.

We swam once more at Waikiki, said goodbye to the turtles there, and had one last lunch at Duke's (fish tacos and a burger). We did some quick last minute shopping for t-shirts and sweatshirts at Honolua Surf Company, and International Market Place.

We took the 3:25 to Kona, which of course was delayed I have never had an inter-island flight leave on time! We got the the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and checked in. We were upgraded to an Ocean View room, which was great since we only paid $191 night on Hotwire.

We had stayed at the Hapuna for 1 night last summer followed by 3 nights at Marriott Waikoloa, and were thrilled to return. $200/night is a GREAT price for this hotel, considering the prices of other Kohala resorts.

The Hapuna has nice rooms, but GREAT lanais and bathrooms. The lanais are large with slate tiles, 2 chairs and a table, and a lounging chair. The bathrooms are filled with marble, and have a separate shower and tub, and room for the toilet!

The best thing about the Hapuna is the location on the beach. It is gorgeous Hapuna Beach, and we love the pool, too. It's an infinity edge, and you can lay at the pool and swim in it, and still see the ocean. It's really the perfect beach/pool combo. We are trying to think of hotels next year on other islands that will compare! Plus, the snorkeling at Hapuna was great every morning -- plenty of fish and sea turtles.

We had dinner that night at Coast Grille at the Hapuna Prince, very good. Mushroom and shrimp appetizer, macadamia nut mahi-mahi, and chicken and pasta. The dessert there was the best part -- a chocolate ganache with strawberries....probably one of the best desserts I have ever had! Absolutely delicious!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

SIDE NOTE TO DAY 8: I forgot to mention that on Day 8, we took a catamaran ride from Waikik, which was great There are 3 or 4 of them that pull up on the sand every morning, and take small groups out every 2 hours or so. We went on the Kepoikai II, and it was $15 per person. It was about an hour or a little longer, and they take you out, and cruise up and down for the sights of Waikiki, Diamond Head, etc...$1 Mai Tais, $2 beers! Our boat was run by a couple of really laid back guys who had a couple of puppies on board, and were so relaxed, they could have been sleeping some of the time! They were lots of fun to joke around with, and it was definitely a fun trip. We saw a gorgeous small pod of spinner dolphins which were amazing and unexpected.

I have to say, too, we truly fell in love with Oahu this trip. We only spent 2 quick nights in Waikiki last summer, but with 8 nights this summer, we got to see so much more. Waikiki is awesome, and I love it, but the North Shore and places like Lanikai are glorious, too. It is a rich, diverse, magnificent, and gorgeous island with so much to do.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM

This may be quasi-off topic, but the title of the thread reminded me of a show on sea turtles I believe was filmed in Hawaii (alas I was there at the wrong time). It featured a peculiar scene in which the baby sea turtles were scampering down to the water only to be snatched up and consumed by Ghost crabs and octopi. Does anyone have any idea where this would occur?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

DAY 10: We got up early and drove to Keauhou Bay, it took about an hour. Today was the day we had scheduled our snorkel cruise to Keal. Bay and Captain Cook Monument on the Fair Winds II boat. (About $100 pp). This was a FABULOUS trip.

It took about an hour to get to the monument, and it was a beautiful ride. The captain gave lots of advice once we got there about not disturbing the dolphins (although we didn't see any), not feeding the fish, etc...

The snorkeling here was excellent. Clear and lovely...lots to see. I know a lot of people don't like Molokini anymore on Maui, but we found the 2 sites to be almost identical in terms of snorkeling. (We used Pacific Whale Foundation last year on Maui). They were both clear with lots of fish, eels, and spots to explore. Easily the best 2 places we've snorkeling in Hawaii.

The food on this boat was MUCH better however...lots of burgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, chips, pasta salad, fruit, etc...Very good. This boat was also lots of fun because there were a couple of high diving platforms and a water slide! And we were anchored for 2 1/2 hours, which was nice and leisurely. Plenty of time for lots of snorkeling and a great lunch.

We got back in at about 1:30, and hubby and I spent the rest of the afternoon pool-side at Hapuna. Dinner that night was a Cafe Pesto. We had crabcakes for an app, and shared 2 pizzas...one with veggies (Artichokes, snow peas, mushrooms, and pepppers) and one with Kalua pork, sweet onions, and pineapple. Excellent food and nice and close to Hapuna!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

DAY 11: This was one of our 2 designated sun and relaxation days on the BI. Like I said earlier, lots of this trip was about relaxation since last year was such a sightseeing trip. Hapuna is the PERFECT Hawaiian resort to relax at, even when it's full, it doesn't seem it. There are always plenty of chairs and umbrellas (free!) at the pool and the beach, and you don't have to be out there at 7 a.m. for that. Plus, as I've said, you just can't beat the combo of the beach, snorkeling right there, and the infinity pool. Loved it!

We snorkeled first, and again saw lots of gorgeous fish, and -- of course -- a few turtles After two trips to Hawaii, I think the turtles have become my favorite things about the islands. The turtles at Hapuna tend to be closer to shore, but the further out you swim, the clearer the water gets, and the more fish there are.

This particular morning we were EXTREMELY lucky to be one of the only ones in the water. There was only 2 others (a father and son) out there with us. Me, DH, and the little boy were watching one of the turtles when all of a sudden, he decided to swim farther out. We followed at a respectable distance, and I can't explain how gorgeous he was. Instead of just eating and munching, which was how we usually observed them, he was swimming and gliding through the clearest blue water...it was honestly one of the lovliest things in nature I've ever seen. The little boy reached out to touch one of his fins, and I sort of went "No No No" as much as I could through my snorkel...I felt bad chastising someone else's child, but I know the rules are strict are touching the "honu" or disturbing them in any way. He was so glorious, and I am lucky that the disposable pictures I took came out so clearly of him.

The later in the morning it gets at Hapuna, the more churned up the ocean gets, and the wind tends to pick up, too. I definitely recommend snorkeling there early in the morning. We sat by the pool for the rest of the day, and got lunch at the Beach Bar pool-side. It's definitely more expensive than Oahu, but it was good. We had a turkey and avacado sandwich, and shrimp with rice.

That night we drove to Kona (about 35-45 min. away) for shopping and dinner at Huggo's on the Rocks. We shared a caesar salad, I got crab-crusted ono, and DH got an ahi steak. He swears this was his best meal on the trip, and I have to say, his ahi was outstanding. So tender and just the right flavors. We then ate a raspberry, chocolate, and caramel cheesecake, which was also great.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Beachgirl-

I am considering using Hotwire for my stay at the Hapuna over Thanksgiving. Right now I have an ocean view room reserved directly through the hotel. Did you get a chance to see what a "terrace view" room looked like? I know you got upgraded to ocean view even though you used Hotwire, but Im assuming that since it is Thanksgiving we wont be upgraded (we are celebrating our 1st anniversary though). I'd like to save the money and book through Hotwire, but I keep worrying about the room. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -