Search

A SPECIAL VACATION

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A SPECIAL VACATION

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!

We are going to the Cape at the begining of July. However, we wanted to take a 2nd vacation at the end of the summer to celebrate our 20th anniversary. It seems like the general recommendation would be Sanibel Island over the Golden Islands of Georgia. However, I am from the northeast and am concerned that it will be too hot. Also I have read some reviews here about there being too many shells on the beach and too many "no seeums" and am concerned about these two factors.
Do you have any other advice or suggestions?

THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM

It will be extremely hot on Sanibel at the end of the summer. Very hot. Even the locals usually leave in August!

What are you looking for in this vacation? A beach? Something else?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

We are looking for a pretty beach area with other things for the kids to do. Any suggestions for an area that would have a little more comfortable weather for the end of August-beginning of Sept?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Easy-- pick a southern CA beach community, like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, San Diego/La Jolla. Great weather practically guaranteed, lots and lots of things for everyone to do, gorgeous scenery. Might be farther than you want to travel (and might be a bit pricey), but how often do 20th anniversaries come along?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will look into these picks. Do you have any hotel recommendations-we would be looking for something with suites or more than 1 bedroom.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I live up the road from those beach communities, so I've never really stayed at hotels down there (and in San Diego I usually stay with friends). They are all pretty expensive FYI-- I'm guessing that Huntington would be the "cheapest". Quick thumbnail sketches:

-- San Diego: Beach town with long association with Navy. Large city with beautiful beaches. La Jolla neighborhood super-ritzy. For the kids: Sea World, San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Kingdom, Legoland (in Carlsbad).

-- Laguna Beach: Artists' retreat back in the day, old splashing grounds of the stars (Bette Davis lived here). Old Orange County money. Hilly roads, secluded beach coves and breathtaking ocean views. Hotels tend to the very expensive, with a very few world-class properties in the area (Montage Resort, Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, St. Regis-- the last two in Dana Point).

Newport Beach: Very ritzy, spread-out town. More old OC money. Balboa Island is super-exclusive collection of overpriced homes and a few little shops. Better to hang out in Corona del Mar or at Fashion Island (anchor stores: Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's).

Huntington Beach: Surf City. A little knot of fun beach town stuff around the HB Pier, surrounded by new OC sprawl-- er, development. Two great big hotels oceanfront by the Pier (Hilton and Hyatt, as I recall). A bit more youth-oriented than Laguna or Newport. And closer to Disneyland, if you MUST indulge. Excellent surfing year-round, but the water stays a little cool in summer; if the kids go surfing, rent wetsuits.

I would suggest thinking about where you'd like to go (southern CA or elsewhere), then re-post with the places in the title. You'll get faster responses wherever you decide to research. Happy planning!