A Special Occasion Restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to NYC for our 40th wedding anniversary. I have been looking through menupages, TA and here, for recs. I was thinking no more than 250$ for both of us. We have been to Aquavit before, and was underwhelmed. I was thinking seafood or fish specialty place. We will be dressy/smart casualy attired. Midtown area.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry I did not include NYC in the title.....mea culpa.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I would recommend Le Bernardin. Also, One if by Land, Two if by Sea is a very romantic setting, with food that is delicious, but probably a little more simple. Both excellent seafood restaurants, with a very romantic atmosphere.

And you might want to edit your post and tag it with New York to get a little more help!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Not specifically for fish, Eleven Madison and Gotham Bar and Grill are special imo (not midtown). Oceana has very good fish, but it wouldn't be my choice for your 40th. It's quite sedate. Unfortunately, Le Bernardin is outrageously expensive. Would you travel to another neighborhood?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM

What about Park Avenue Autumn?

Many American/Mediterranean restaurants have good seafood. Be sure to look at the menus on line for the suggestions that you get.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes centralparkgirl, we could cab it. I was looking at Gotham too. And you are right about Mediterranean rests. Draegirl, thanks for One if by Land rec. What about Blue Fin? I think leBenardin may be a bit too too.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Blue Fin is loud and theater district - not for an anniversary. I like Bouley for my anniversary. Eleven Madison got 4 stars in the NYTimes' review a few months ago.

When you make your reservation - wherever - mention that it's your anniversary and you're really looking forward to your evening with them. That might get you a good table and some extra treats.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM

I hear that the Fishtail by David Burke is lovely..

Its not that fancy but wife and I love to go to the Grand Central Oyster Bar and have a dozen oysters, bottle of champagne, chowder and split a fish entree and then head to the Campbell Apartment for cocktails.
Great way to spend an evening.

Happy 40th!

www.thecampbellapartment.com
www.oysterbarny.com
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM

What do folks think about Toqueville?

I've never been but I've heard good things. The room looks lovely and the menu has several fish/seafood choices.

http://www.tocquevillerestaurant.com/
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM

kmbp - I've never been there either. Zagat gives it a great review.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM

One if By Land, Two if by Sea is a very good choice. Carmines isn't as fancy but the food is delicious! Happy Anniversary!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Blue Fin is good but NOT romantic at all. As stated it's loud and in Times Square..so great if before theater.

Fishtail is okay, not romantic at all either. It felt really cramped in there.

I seem to end up at Gramercy Tavern for "fancy" meals.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM

40 years together is nothing to sneeze at!

If you can stretch your budget to maybe $300 for two, I would strongly recommend Le Bernardin, arguably the best seafood restaurant in the City, if not the City's best restaurant altogether. http://www.le-bernardin.com/

The prix-fixe is $109 per person before tax and tip, about $140 after. Adding a $5-to-$7.50 cup of coffee, tea or espresso brings the bill up to a bit less than $150 per person for a truly special experience. Wine would be extra, but you could minimize its cost be having just a glass of a good white and nursing it through your meal.

The room is relatively simple, but elegant, with blonde wood, a high ceiling and very attractive sea-related artwork. The service is absolutely impeccable. In our experience, the lowliest servers or runners (not to mention the waiters and captains) seem to have eyes in the back of their heads, so attuned are they to your every need and request.

As CPG mentioned above, tell the reservationist its your 40th; guaranteed, they'll recognize it in some very pleasing way.

Finally, even in the current economic climate, Le Bernardin is likely to be heavily booked. From their website: "Reservations are taken for the current and the following month. Reservations are accepted for the following month on the first business day of each month." You can also use www.opentable.com, but calling 212-554-1515 is, in this case, better.

Congratulations!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Eleven Madison does have some seafood choices, but seems to me to be about on par price wise with Le Bernardin. Fishtail is supposed to have decent food, but i don't know if it's 40th anniversary worthy. The River Cafe in Brooklyn has some of the most amazing views of the city, with great food to boot! But I think that One if By Land still might be the best choice.. Romantic setting, great seafood, but not to foofoo.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM

>

bspielman - I wouldn't want to have to nurse a glass of wine in a restaurant of that caliper when celebrating my anniversary. I think it's better to go where you can afford and have whatever you want. $250 is a nice budget and in this city there are good choices. On our anniversary, I like a glass of champagne and then a glass of wine. That could be over $70 extra per couple plus tax and tip in LB.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM
mp

I'm not sure what your idea of "romantic" is - is it flowery chintz, or cozy fireplace, or elegant French fine dining - but my suggestions to check out (other than the good suggestions here of Gramercy Tavern, Gotham Bar and Grll, Eleven Madison and Toqueville which are all wonderful and all downtown) would be Cafe Nougatine or Jean Georges (nougatine is in your price range, Jean-Georges might be a stretch) Anthos (I had an extraordinary halibut for lunch there last month - really fine food in a lovely modern setting) or Blue Hill (if it was good enough for the Obamas this summer . . . no, it's a really good place, no matter what your politics!)

I think if you're willing to leave midtown, you'll get more bang for your buck. Too bad Chanterelle closed - would have fit your bill very well. I'm not a fan of Bouley, but many people are. You might also check out Corton.

pretty good reviews can be found on the ny magazine site:
http://nymag.com/restaurants/
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Centralparkgirl, I like to have champagne first also. Bspielman, that was a lovely description of Le Brenardin....you make it sound wonderful. Thanks for good wishes, but this weekend also includes my birthday (which I will not reveal) I looked at LB and One if's web sites, and both looked great. Kmbp, I will look up Toquville. CPG, also will look up 11 Madison.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Ksucat, I loved the oyster bar! Won't go there on our big day, but it is on my TO DO list for this trip! Thanks for the rec. Mp, thanks for the ny magazine link too.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM

I agree with MP's selections, although we have never been to Anthos. We were treated to Tocqueville last month and the food was wonderful with a perfectly trained staff in the atmosphere you are seeking.

I am in the small minority who thinks Le Bernardin is over rated.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Aduchamp1 - my husband thinks it's over rated too.

Judyrem - I'm not pushing Eleven Madison and I have not eaten there in several years. But, I am considering it for our 30th this winter because of the review below.

http://events.nytimes.com/2009/08/12...+review&st=nyt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -