Reload this Page >

A Question about layovers..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 07:25 PM
elijah

This might be a dumb question, but I need the answer.. how exactly does a layover work? On a trip I am taking this October, [for the first time], I will have a layover in Memphis on the way and Detroit on the way back. Both flight segments have different flight numbers, so I assume they are not on the same plane.

-Do I have to check-in for the second flight segment in the layover city?
-Do I have to get my luggage in the layover city and re-check it?

So, Could anyone just explain what exactly happens and how long it takes? Thanks very m uch!

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Michelle

A layover occurs when you must get off and change planes. Look at the time you land from first flight to time you leave on 2nd flight to determine actual layover time. Remember you will need ot check in 1/2 hr before 2nd flight time. Your luggage will be checked through until final destination so carry on anything you may need for the whole day.

You will not need to check in for the 2nd flight, but check the boards as sometimes flights are delayed or gates change.

Have fun

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 08:34 PM
elijah

Thanks.

Does this mean that when I first leave from here, I will be issued two boarding passes (one for the first segment, and the other for the second segment)?? Thanks again

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 04:16 AM
betsy

Yes, you will be issued 2 boarding passes at your departure airport. Sometimes, on the decent into the city you are switching planes in, one of the flight attendants will read over the loud speaker what connecting flights are leaving from what gate. Good luck and have fun!

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 11:35 PM
tweedy

Are you concerned about a layover or a change of planes. A layover is actually when you are staying overnight and a change of planes is just that. I often have to change planes onroute and when you check in for the first flight you are given boarding passes for both flights. Your luggage would be checked in all the way to your final destination. You will have tags for your luggage attached to your ticket in case your bags are lost.

If you are going to be gone for a short time, I would suggest not checking your luggage, take it on board, that way it just can't get lost.

Hope you have a good trip.

tweedy

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:24 AM
Cindy

Elijah, my understanding of a layover is different from Tweedy's. A layover is any time you have to stop at an intermediate point. It can be anywhere from, say, 30 minutes to many hours. Even if they allow you to stay on the plane, I would still call it a layover, but that is just picking nits. If your trip is so severely interrupted that you have to stay overnight, the correct term for that is a "disaster."

The important thing is to keep your eyes open and watch what the airline staffers do. When you check your bags, make sure they "check it through" and tag it with the airport code for your final destination. Also, when you check in for your first segment, make sure they issue you both boarding passes. Sometimes, when gate agents have been pressed for time, they'll try to skip this step and only check you on the first segment. There is usually no good reason for this, so ask for both boarding passes.

Have fun.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 08:10 AM
elijah

The 'layover' or 'stopover'.. is going to be about an hour and a half both ways (not overnight), but we will have to change planes. Thanks very much for all the help.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 08:42 AM
mm

I always though stopover meant a couple of hours usually just to change planes while a layover entailed having to stay overnight

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Diane

With the airlines experiencing delays, etc. you may find that having about an hour and a half between scheduled flights is good -- just in case you need to make alternate arrangements. In anycase, bring along a good book to keep you entertained while waiting for your connecting flight. If you're delayed, you're not alone. It's best to stay calm and pleasant (you catch more flies with sugar, and your blood pressure stays low). Your baggage will be checked through to your final destination. Despite the stories of lost bags, I've only had that problem once in about 30 years of air travel.