Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A Mini-trip to the Phillips Collection -Snapshot

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a quick trip to the Phillips Collection in D.C. As a photographer, the title of the special exhibit "Snapshot: Painters and Photography, Bonnard to Vuillard" held great appeal. It was also a wonderful opportunity to meet up with some friends (P & B).

Here's part of the description from Phillips online info:

"The exhibition features experiments made with the camera by seven figures. Pierre Bonnard, Maurice Denis, Edouard Vuillard, and Félix Vallotton were leading members of the Nabis, a group of French avant-garde artists who sought a new kind of painting inspired by Paul Gauguin. George Hendrik Breitner, Henri Evenepoel, and Henri Rivière responded with equal enthusiasm to the possibilities inherent in the new medium. Snapshot is the largest selection ever assembled of photographs by these post-impressionists."

I drove from Southern Anne Arundel County via the Suitland Parkway. Have mentioned in the past what a nice approach to the city this is. I basically took Constitution Ave. to 22nd St. to Florida Ave. to 21st St. NW where I found a metered spot right in front of the museum (it's at 21st and Q--21st being one-way north and south-something to pay attention to in DC if you are driving).

The Phillips was, I believe a private home (go google for more info please). Until a renovation, it was much more intimate but it's still a great place. If you need a Renoir "Boating Party" fix, it's the place to go.

More to come.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Lucky you. It is my favorite museum in DC. The regular collection is free, though they often or usually charge for special exhibitions.

It is an easy walk from the Metro at Dupont Circle, where there are a ton of places to eat, and the neighborhood makes for a nice upscale walk.

In addition to the "Luncheon of the Boating Party" there is a small self portrait by Cezanne that simply glows. It is as far as I can tell/remember a dead match for Roger Fry's portrait of Cezanne in the Courtauld in London, though I haven't done the research I would need to do to find out if it was a copy. It would be terrific if the two museums could share them sometime so we could see them both at the same time.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Cool! I was there on a visit in December, 2010 and got to see the spellbinding "Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art" exhibit. They were sold out of the companion book but I finally hunted one down.

Standing in front of the Renoir "Boating Party" was like visiting an old friend, even though I'd only seen reproductions of it.

Indeed one of the best small museums. I took quite a photos in there, but only have on online, the Rothko room.
http://www.pbase.com/mangoman/image/131739935

If you had asked me beforehand I would have said I didn't appreciate that style of art, but after seeing it I wanted to take them home!

Hope to return. I had lunch in a nice Lebanese restaurant near the Dupont Circle metro. My wife was spending the day with a girlfriend.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

It was $10 for seniors, Aukislander.

Nelson, I missed Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art exhibit. Rothko doesn't do it for me but his work is in museums and mine isn't!
-------------------
OK, back to the TR:

Things have changed in earphone-dom, my friends. When I spotted the first earphone icon, I realized I'd missed the earphone rental spot altogether. But guess what? You don't need them at Phillips at least in this exhibit. You simply use your own cell phone and call 202-595-1839 (haven't tried this at home) and follow the directions to listen to the numbered items. How about that? Just about as cool as the google map guy.

'Interesting' was the word we all used about this exhibit. P noted that the paintings caught her eye but the photos didn't. The photos, mostly modern reprints, were often so small, one needed less than the recommended 2 feet to see them. But it was fun to see the photo bases for the artists' works.

We had planned to go to Zorba's Café (http://www.zorbascafe.com/) but I needed to fetch my car so we just had coffees and soda in the gallery café. It is small and looked like light lunch fare. $2.75 for a coffee. Nice view to a courtyard though.

Upon leaving the gallery, we noted many open parking places. To go to Annapolis, I simply went south on 21st St. and left on L ("go to L"). Some roadwork slowed down progress but if you are a visitor and want to go east-just get on L St. NW and it will magically become New York Ave. and Md. Rte. 50 (it may become other streets as well, but don't worry). You will intersect with the Capital beltway-rte 495 (our ring road) which can take you to other major north and south roads like 95. Otherwise, rte 50 will take you to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Again, a lovely gallery. Just heard from my friends that they returned and snagged one of the good parking spaces. P also spent time with the Boating Party. Phillips worth a visit if you love art. Parking and one-way streets can be a challenge. There are more parking garages closer to Dupont Circle area and it isn't too far a walk if you are sturdy. Here's a link with info about Mr. Phillips: http://www.phillipscollection.org/collection/index.aspx
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Just a little brag--

http://www.washingtonian.com/gallery...ompetition.php

My photo is on page 10--the 2 girls swimming! Found this by accident.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 07:02 AM

NICE!
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, suewoo.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM

How cool is that? Congratulations!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Sad for me. We lived in DC for 20 years and visited pretty much everything but the Phillips Gallery and a couple of other places. It's on the list for our return. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee Ann.

There are so many wonderful places in DC. Hope you get back soon fft!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Thanks for great report and congrats! Too bad you didn't get the Nikon 1!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM

DW and I were so inspired by your trip report that we jumped in the car today, drove to the Phillips, found a nearby parking space, and discovered the museum is closed on Mondays. We are such lousy tourists.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 05:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks a cool idea for a photo competition!

Congratulations, nicely done.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks santa (you could have visited stcirq and runningtab) and nelson. Yeah, I was hoping for that camera.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet photo, TDudette! Congrats for having that published!

I am looking forward to the upcoming Van Gogh exhibit.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For anyone needing a little sugar or caffeine fix after a visit to the Phillips, the nearby Dolcezza is a perfect place for a pick me up. Wonderful pastries, great coffee (they serve Stumptown among others), and rich rich gelato. I've tried the salted caramel and ginger cardamom from a pair of visits. The vibe is kind of hipster and it isn't inexpensive, but well worth a trip. 3 minute walk from the Phillips. There is another Dolcezza shop in Georgetown.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How cool! Good for you. A photo published by the Phillips is fabulous.

Dolcezza has wonderful sorbets too. The Dupont store is on Connecticut Ave.
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks obx and yes!

Here's a link for the Ct. Ave. - looks like a very easy walk.

http://www.yelp.com/map/dolcezza-art...o-washington-6
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Aw my old hood. I miss DC.