Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A little help from the wine pro's please..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Absentminded

I'm sneaking this one in but I'm desperate. I'm trying to buy a bottle of wine for my husband for Christmas, but I can't remember the year! It's a Joseph Phelp's Cabernet, should run about $90-$100, but I can't remember the year (maybe 96 or 97?). Does anyone know what year I would be looking for in that price range, and where I might be able to find a bottle at a good price in the NY metro area? Thank you, I know this isn't a travel question, but I also know that there are some real wine aficianados here who can help me.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Wife

Try Le Mistral or a '99 or '98 Backus.
If you need to research more, there is a site for Joseph Phelps..try putting it into Google and see what you can find. Have fun!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:02 AM
wife

http://www.jpvwines.com/

Joseph Phelps Vineyard site.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Absentminded

Thanks wife, I know you share my burden.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:11 AM
snohflake

You are probably looking for the Insignia Cabernet which is a cab blend and their high-end offering. You can pick up the 1997 Joseph Phelps Vineyards Cabernet Blend Insignia for $99.99 at K&D Wines at 1366 Madison Avenue, NYC. You can also find it at Diplomat Wines at 939 Second Avenue, NYC but they're selling it for $149.99. The '97 "outrates" the '96 per most professional reviewers, but it's really just a matter of preference. Good luck!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Absentminded

Thank you Snowflake! That's it! You've just made my life easier.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:42 AM
snohflake

Glad to help! Happy Holidays.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Ellen

You can also try Sherry Lehman on Madison. I believe they deliver.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
wino

Technically Insignia is a blend or Meritage. They do not call it a "cabernet blend." It is the 97 that had a very good review (as most 97's did) but the 98 is not a bad choice either. Cheers!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Absentminded

Thanks. I am looking for someplace that ships. I was going out today, but since it's now sleeting, I'll order in!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:53 AM
wino

I would also look at Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon "Backus Vineyard" as it is a delicious wine and worth every penny compared to Insignia.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:56 AM
snohflake

Wino: 1997 Joseph Phelps Vineyards Cabernet Blend Insignia is the way it is listed on wineaccess.com . . . I pulled it from there. Never mind, Opus One is my blend of choice anyway ;-)

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:00 AM
wino

Yes, I understand that but many sites list Blends, Meitages and Cabs incorrectly. Technically it is a cab most years, if not all, because of the % of the blend but they prefer to think of it as a Bordeaux blend so it doesn't compete with their single vineyard Cab. Opus is also technically a cab most years as well.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Wine

"Wino" is correct. And to add more confusion not all blends can call themselves a Meritage, only those that meet the criteria and then also pay a fee to the Meritage Association to use that term. J. Phelps chooses not to.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Wine

I wanted to add that if you are a fan of J.Phelps wines be sure to pick up a bottle of their Merlot. It is yummy!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:21 AM
snohflake

I love this site. I learn new stuff all the time. And are you pulling my leg with the Meritage classification being a proprietary name per an Association? So Cain Cellars or Merryvale pay an Association money for the privilege of using that word?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:25 AM
x

If you're into the $100 price point, you can do better than a CA cab, Phelps or no.

Pardon my pith, but the joy of wine is not going to be grapsed by anyone who gets on Fodors and announces they have $100 to blow on wine, and wants some help with the label.

Go telephone Sherry Lehman and talk with the sales staff. They'll take your hundred and give you whatever you want.

Gadzooks! The wealthy make one yearn for the sun and an end to this stupid icy rain.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Wine

Yes. Here is a site with more info.
http://www.meritagewine.org/

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Wino

There is a site for it. Just go under Google and do a search.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Wino

Oopps. I didnt see that Wine lover found one. Sorry. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -