Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A hotel close to everything & senior citizen-friendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Colleen

I have been to DC a couple of times, but all have been planned trips through school. This is the first time I am going on my own...and I am bringing my 76 year old grandmother (who has never been before). I am looking for a nice hotel that is close to many attractions and close to a metro station. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:25 AM
marge

If you don't get too many replies it might help to repost and put DC in the header so everyone can help on the United States board and price range.

Hotel Washington is east of White House great view from their roof top restaurant. $189 - $240. 2 blks from metro.

Do you have a AAA book that might help.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Christina

I think the Marriott Metro Center is frequently mentioned as good on all those points, people seem to like it and there's a metro stop right there. Aside from that, St James Suites is nice enough and right near the Foggy Bottom metro stop, and there are a couple hotels near the McPherson Sq metro stop which is near the White House (Crowne Plaza and Hilton Garden Inn--I think Crowne Plaza is maybe nicer). Then you've got a couple near the Dupont Circle metro (HIlton Embassy Row, Radisson Barcelo, Fairfax Westin or probably the nicest) but I wouldn't recommend that metro stop for an older person, it's too steep.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Arabella

I agree with Marge about Hotel Washington. I had carefully planned a trip with my parents (in their 70s) for this fall and we had reservations at Hotel Washington. There is a Marriott around the corner from there that was also recommended to me for senior travelers.

Have fun with your grandmother!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 03:24 PM
mimi

If you want a small hotel with a mini kitchen I would recommend the River Inn. It is close to Watergate, the metro, and G.W. University. The hotel has a small restaurant which is easy to eat at. It is also in a quiet safe part of town and if you like to walk you can walk to Georgetown. The rates are very good on week-ends.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Stephanie P.

Colleen:

I'd agree w/one of the writers. The GW area is good. The Howard Johnson, across from the Watergate is good. The bottom floor of the Watergate has a Safeway Grocery Store so if she needs some over-the-counter meds, easy to get. The metro (GW) is about 3 to 5 blocks. There is a Holiday Inn in Rosslyn, VA, that is very close to the Rosslyn metro. DC is across the water. Another good place, which I think Fodor recommended is the Harrington Hotel. It is around the Old Post Office and Marriott Shops, FBI, Archives, and Navy Museum. I think Metro Center or Gallery Place has a metro nearby. As you know, from being to D.C. before, it is hard to get a hotel across the street from the metro.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Arabella

Colleen,

The Harrington is often listed -- as a joke! It's a dive.