A glimpse of my future? and a few extra stops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was time for a visit to MIL in her Miami nursing home and since DW is from Cuba, she has relatives who live in the area. We took two days driving down from Maryland with a stop in Kingsland, GA - one of those towns that seems to exist for I-95 travelers. Read, lots of motels and fast food. The Kings Bay submarine base is in nearby St. Mary's and we noted that town for a possible quick stopover or overnight on the way back.
In Fl, we stayed in MIL's condo that is in one of those over 55 giant God's waiting room communities, mainly because I am paying the maintenance on it since it is neither saleable nor rentable in this economy, I might as well get some benefit from the place.

There is an old joke that characterizes these communities for me: Three women are sitting by the pool and notice a new man - an event, since women seem to outnumber men 3 to 1 in these places. One woman is delegated to go over and strike up a conversation.
"Hello, are you new here?"
"Yes, I just moved in a few days ago."
"Where did you move from?"
"To be honest, I was in prison the past 25 years."
"In prison! For what?"
"Well, first I'll tell you I was innocent. I was up on the roof with my first wife and she fell off. I was charged with murder, but not convicted. My second wife was electrocuted when a radio fell into the bathtub. I was charged with murder, but not convicted. My third wife was killed when her car hit a tree. The police found the brake lines were cut. I was charged with murder and got 25 years."
The woman returns to her friends
"Good news girls, he's single.

In short, I don't care for these communities. They may be for others, but not for me.

As nursing homes go, MIL is in a really good one that really cares about its residents - you won't find people sitting in wheelchairs in the hallways sedated into a stupor. Rather, they have activities run by by occupational therapists and the folks living there get involved. MIL is a Jingo/Bingo shark - to her, it's a business. For those not in the nursing home know, Jingo is like Bingo but it uses pictures. The caller gives a fact about the picture and the player has to find the one that matches the fact - it somewhat exercises the mind.

We spent most of everyday for a week in the home. When we arrived, they had a group of 8 residents rehearsing for a bell ringing concert for the holidays. Each bell was numbered and played a note of the scale. The therapist called out the numbers and thus a tune was played. Bell number four ringer was out so I was recruited to take her place - it was then that it struck me that I am older than some of the residents of the place and an outside observer would see me as a natural part of the group. Wow! If that doesn't bring a dose of reality, nothing will. However, since I play in two community orchestras, I was well prepared to play my part and it may be the first rehearsal that I have ever played without hitting a wrong note.

Other than visiting other relatives, evenings were spent satisfying our Cuban food jones in the small nearby restaurants and walking on the Hollywood "Broadwalk." Hollywood, FL has come a long way from its really non-descript days to its present sorta non-descript days of mostly low priced beach motels and vacation apartments mixed in with a few of the larger hotel chains and mid to uber upper scale beachfront condo buildings. It is kind of a funky and fun place that is really popular with visiting Canadians, Gemans and Russians. The beach itself is pretty nice too. We took one day off for an afternoon in the Everglades, returning to a spot where when last there, I was able to get a lot of really good bird photos. This time, there was hardly a bird to be seen - still, it was a nice walk.

One thing that made this trip attractive was our plan for our first visit to Hilton Head Island, SC on the way back with a bonus visist to Beufort. I'll describe that next with a great restaurant find.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Bless your heart! So nice of you to ensure MIL's happiness and well-being.

I hope you like HH. I have no idea what the weather's like-I'm in Germany in a foggy town. I like it!

Be sure to stop by Old Sheldon Church ruins when you are on 17 near Beaufort. It's so worth it.

Safe travels!
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi suewoo - too late for the church since we are back. Too bad we missed it. Please be sure to put something about your ongoing German adventure on one of the boards. Foggy or not, you are in a great location.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM

OK. I am SOO busy at work I have little time for much else. We're going to Trier today. I'll try to post something when I get back.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

In Trier, go over to the Karl Marx museum. It is in the house where he lived - a very nice place where he could contemplate the woes of the proleteriat. Pick up a Karl Marx bright red coffee cup and a bottle of Karl Marx wine at he tourist info center. He is probably rolling over in his grave about those.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

OK, so back to the trip. Sometime before we left for FL, we got one of those calls from Marriott Resorts, you know, the kind of deal where you get a cheap few days in return for sitting through a sales pitch. One of the resorts to choose from was on Hilton Head Island. Perfect! That is just about halfway home from FL and a few days to relax after a week of nursing home and relatives sounded just right, so we bit.

Driving back north, we would have to stay one night before our HHI reservation and the submarine base at St. Mary's, GA had piqued my interest. It was not to be however - the Navy lodge and other billeting was full. There was a submarine from the UK being worked on and the lodging was taken up with the crew. We drove around St. Mary's a bit just to see what it looks like - it was kind of cute but there was not much to the place that we could see, so we moved on finally stopping at a motel off of exit 104 outside of Savannah. Since we hadn't been to Savannah in years we drove into town for dinner and a walk around. The city has changed considerably since last there. We parked near the historic area and walked to City Market, something everyone else in the city seemed to be doing. It was Oct. 30 and there were lots of folks walking about in costume, somewhat like Fantasy week in Key West but not as raunchy. Doing this on the cuff so to speak, we did not have any restaurants in mind so stopped at the first one that seemed busy and had an interesting menu. It was the fish and grits on the chalkboard that attracted us. I had it blackened and DW had it straight up- it was her first anything and grits and she loved it. My dish was a fine one too. The restaurant is called Anna's and it turned out to be a great choice. We walked around and shopped for awhile enriching the local economy stocking up on holiday gifts (are we ideal tourists or what?) I took lots of photos since I am still exploring the capabilities of my new camera and here was an opportunity to see how it does in low light. I think it did surprisingly well and will post photos soon.

A walk down to the riverfront was delightful - it is lined with restaurants and bars and seems to draw a much younger crowd than the folks we saw at City Market. Nearly everyone that night was in costume and it was a festive atmosphere topped off with an unexpected fireworks show on the river.

All in all, it was a really nice way to spend and evening and was just another example of something good coming from what at the time seemed to be a disappointment, after all we could have been staying on the sub base and it would not have been half as interesting and fun.

Next: Hilton Head Island, or Disney comes to SC.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM

I love Savannah! I bet those SCAD students had some great costumes. I went to see my niece graduate from SCAD last spring. Those kids had the BEST mortar board are ever. And we have another grits convert! So glad you got to enjoy it.

Sounds like you have a full understanding of Hilton Head!
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

HHI Restaurants we tried:
"Blue Marlin" - At lunch there was a good variety of fish and seafood with a pleasant water view. Indoor/outdoor seating. Good pick.
"Salty Dog Cafe" - nice marina view especially since the pelicans were there. Indoor/outdoor seating. Lunch ok but not special.
"Skull Creek Boathouse" - extensive fish and seafood menu, very well prepared. Shrimp and grits had lots of spicy sausage, lots of big fat shrimp and was outstanding. Indoor/outdoor seating. Nice view - faces west so good for sunsets.
"Big Bamboo" Distinguished by a reasonable early bird menu (until 6) that was better than average and included wine and a small slice of key lime pie.
Drum roll please! "Roastfish and Cornbread" - An outstanding small restaurant. No view but interesting decor with colorful murals - we watched an artist completing a mural as we had dinner. Laid back friendly service. The menu is combination of Island cuisine and Gullah specialties that the chef learned from his grandmother. Both fish and meat dishes and - AN EXTENSIVE AND ORIGINAL VEGETARIAN/VEGAN MENU. Loved the Gullah chicken stew. DW thought the Ethiopian style lentils over Israeli style couscous was delicious. No reservations. Thirty five minute wait for table at dinner, but well worth the time. Just walked in for lunch, no wait. Lunch and dinner menus are identical, with specials on a chalk board.
_____
We arrive early on Sunday at the Marriott resort on the beach in HHI. As expected the room is not ready but we check in and go for a walk on the beach. So far, the hotel staff are friendly and seem eager to please. That would remain the same throughout our stay.

There is another thread that has been for the most part acurately describing the beach. It is a very cool and windy morning and we walk for about 1/2 hour on the hard packed sand and watch bike riders on the beach,a good sized gray surf and some gulls flying about. Still too early to get into the room so we explore the island for a bit and end up in Harbor Town after payin the $5 daily fee to go through Sea Pines Plantation. Shortly after arriving we get a phone call several hours sooner than expected that our place is ready, so after a quick walk around we return. The room, or rather apartment is spacious and very nice indeed with living room, 2 bedrooms - one with jacuzzi, 2 baths and fully equipped kitchen, not to mention a nice balcony with pool view - not too shabby for $199 for 3 nights even though we will have to sit through an hour sales pitch. We unpack and head out to lunch (Blue Marlin) followed by a hike of a few hours in the Sea Pines preserve which was very, very nice.

Our first impressions of HHI - If Disney was to design an Island this would be it. Everything was TOO perfect and pristine including residential areas that we saw up to this point. This impression would be reinforced in succeeding days, paricularly when we came to South Beach, a movie set impression of a Cape Cod town.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

As required, we sat through the sales pitch which we arranged for early morning so as not to kill the day - Marriott does one of those buy points deals rather than a timeshare. Truth be said, the young lady doing the presentation was personable and sounded like she really believed in the product, but there was no really hard sell with a closer which we appreciated. Even if it was a good deal, which I do not believe it was, it is not the kind of program we would use - the outside of the US programs are based on organized tours which is something we avoid.

Our plan for the day was to hike in the Pinkney Wildlife Refuge and then ride over to South Beach for lunch at the Salty Dog Cafe, pick up some tee shirts for the grandkids and take an hour long dolphin watching ride on the Gypsy since it was a beautiful day.

The wildlife refuge was a high point of our HHI stay with lovely salt marshes and plenty of birds, unlike what we found in the Everglades. As we approached Ibis lake we spotted a few butterflys flitting about and followed them to a knockout butterfly garden. DW knows me well enough to find a place to sit while I spent the next half hour taking pictures in the garden - got some good shots too.

We drove over to South Beech and accomplished our goals with the exception of the dolphin watch - we were the only folks who turned up, so the boat did not go out. That seems to happen fairly often there this time of day. With no dolphin watch and having perused every shop twice, we drove over to Harbor Town wondering how it is possible that in a community as large as Sea Pines Plantation there does not seem to be a single blade of grass out of place. The landscaping elves must visit each home every day and twice at night.

Harbor Town was exactly as we left it but we did have time to walk around for awhile before heading back for an evening walk on the beach before heading out to dinner.

Next: Roastfish and Cornbread
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great report and about several regions I both know well (Savannah and Beaufort) and enjoy. You should have seen HHI back in the mid-60's when there were oceanfront lots FOR SALE (and don't I wish I had bought one then).

As to the condo "scene" in South Florida, I can assure you that not all of them are waiting rooms..mine in Fort Lauderdale certainly isn't and if you can afford to buy these days there are some wonderful deals and you and I both know that area is not going to drop off the planet any time soon.

Anxious to hear more.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback Dukey - I should mention that I always enjoy your comments. About the condo development that I mentioned, it is in Pembroke Pines and is a 55 and older community of about 90K people - really a large city and too far from the ocean. The landscaping is nice and the grounds are well kept, but the buildings have no architectural interest and look like multi-story army barracks. I looked into some other condo areas and agree that there are great deals to be had - I saw one that had everything that I would want except price - it was marked down to a bargain 1.2 million, but in any case since I have to pay the fees, taxes etc on MIL's condo I am really not in the market. DW's cousins have a great place in Sunny Isle and a cousin of mine has one too not far from that. But these 55 and older communities for me are depressing no matter where with the possible exeption of The Villages near Ocala.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

I am not sure what else I can say about the Roastfish and Cornbread restaurant other than if on HHI, go there. If you are vegetarian or vegan it is by far your best choice. About the cornbread, they make it with sweet potato and it is outstanding although it tastes nothing like any cornbread you may have had. Eat it last as a special treat.

On our last full day, we visited the usual towns once again, found a source to buy Palmetto Ale to bring home and visited one of the towns that we had yet to see, Coligny. Coligny has a very nice park and the shopping area looks less like a Disney set than other places. It even has an old fashioned hardware store where we spent nearly an hour browsing and even bought a few items to bring home that are not found in the big box stores.

The next morning we decided to get an early start so that we could spend a little extra time in Beaufort and were happy that we did. Thanks fodorites for recommending Beaufort as a visit. We stopped at the tourist info and they recommended taking a carriage tour as the best way to see things since we only had a few hours. That was something we usually do not do, but we took their advice and were able to get an overview of the town. Our guide was a young woman who was born there and gave a running historical commentary on the city's history although some of her stories seemed far fetched and one story about the commander of the Marine base ordering a three fighter plane rooftop flyover with afterburner kick-in over the home Barbra Streisand was renting during a movie shoot as retaliation for her temerity of asking that training flights during the day be re-routed because they were interfering with the movie shoot stretches credulity. If it actually happened, the General should have been brought up on charges because it breaks every operational and safety rule in the book. Of such tales, myths are made.

Following the tour we walked around re-visiting some places that seemed most interesting and stopped for a nice outdoor lunch at a place called "Plum." All in all we really like Beaufort and it looked like a very nice place to retire to if we had any plans at all to do so.

Next: Almost have the photos ready - will post.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM

DH and I fell in love with Beaufort based upon a quick stop there about the time "The Big Chill" was being filmed.

Upon return last year, it looked to me as though the little down town was being stressed by all of the big box stores on one of the roads into the town.

Looking forward to photos and please say hey to your DH!
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 07:17 AM

So glad you enjoyed your trip. I always love your reports.

There was talk about Barbra making interesting demands during the filming of "Prince of Tides". Don't know about the level of truth of any of it!

Come back soon.

PSWe went to Trier today. What a treat!
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Photos as promised:

In the Florida Everglades
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7627954597227/

Savannah, the night before Holloween
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7628115760550/

The Beach at Marriott Baroney Resort
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7628115086798/

Roastfish and Cornbread Restaurant - a hidden gem
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7628115073452/

The Town of South Beach, HHI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7628080036940/

In the Sea Pines Reserve and Sunset at Skull Creek Boathouse Restaurant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7627994844383/

Ibis Lake, Pinkney Wildlife Refuge
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7627989969169/

In the Butterfly Garden near Ibis Lake
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7627989736421/

Beautiful Beaufort, SC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/basings...7628115638596/
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM

I started in Beaufort so have to work back. Nice shots!
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TD - I always value your feedback. I was using a new camera and still learning how to use it - Sony HX100v. I kind of like the Sea Pines, butterfly/Ibis lake and beach shots best myself.

BTW we will be in Annapolis early next Saturday. DD is running in a half marathon there - her first.