Reload this Page >

A few questions about Myrtle Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Chris

We are planning a trip to Myrtle beach in Sept. Has anyone ever stayed at Ocean Bay Club? Is it worth the extra money? Also does it matter which Realty company we go with? We found one that is $250 cheaper than the original one we were going to go with. And which is better, Nascar Speedpark, or Myrtle Beach Grand Prix? Kids are 10, 5 and 4. And finally, looking for a good steak house or Italian place, no seafood please. And some kid friendly restaurants. Thanks

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:59 AM
chuck

Chris,

Sorry I can't help you with most of your specific questions--perhaps by topping your post, it'll attract the attention of some more knowledgeable folks.

I haven't actually tried either go-kart place, but I pass by the Nascar track every day on my way to work. Here's what I can tell you: there are a variety of tracks (an oval, a road course, and I think one other); there appear to be a variety of cars, differing in size, including what look to be pretty good mock-ups of a winston-cup car.

As to food at kid-friendly places, your question made me think of a billboard for a steak & Italian (I think) place called Angelo's--the billboard says "we serve kids" and has a picture of a toddler in a cooking kettle.

Seriously, I have seen several good recommendations for Umberto's (seveeral locations), an Italian restaurant. I have also heard good things about Thoroughbred's (not sure whether this would be kid-friendly) as a steak house. Finally, any of the restaurants at Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing would be relatively kid-friendly.

Have a great time!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:19 AM
AC

Chris:
Just to add to Chuck's post, Throughbred's is not what I would call kid friendly. Great food, a bit expensive, great atmosphere. However, next door is Sam Snead's. Think this might be a bit better for you. Food is great, less expensive and when I was there there were a lot of families with kids. Have fun!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Arabella

My favorite Italian place at MB is Villa Romana at 707 South Kings Highway. It's a fun, family-owned place with terrific food. Last time I suggested it, another poster said his dinner tasted like it came from a can, but we've never had anything but a wonderful experience there.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:32 AM
CF

Coming from a town that is predominately Italian and having access to great restaurants I can't recommend either of those mentioned for Myrtle. The Crab House is kid friendly. (They have stuff other than seafood.) They have special cups for the kids and give them crayons to draw on the "tablecloth" while waiting for their dinner.
Myrtle Beach is such a family destination I can't see you having a problem at any restaurant during the summer months.

Our son said the Nascar Cafe is great but we never made it there. The place was too crowded.

DEpending on the kids ages they will like Build a Bear Workshop at Broadway at the Beach.

Get one or two of the value books that you can pick up in lobbies of hotels and such because they have a lot of discount coupons for mini golf and water slides and stuff.Four people to Myrtle Waves...you're talking $100+, so the coupons do help.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:32 AM
CF

Sorry, just saw your kids ages, they will love Build a Bear!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:12 AM
marie

You must go mini-golfing, your kids will love it and there are over 20! T-Bonz is a great restaurant at Broadway at the Beach - families, but with lots of good food. For ribs try Damons in North Myrtle Beach. A great place for lunch is the Filling Station. It's pizza and salad and sandwhich buffet all you can eat for cheap - and it's good pizza! Been to Sam Sneads and I wouldn't waste your money, expensive yucky food. Have fun!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM
CF

There is also a T Bones at Barefoot and it is excellent.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:13 PM
liz

Just a sidebar: a really nice, very traditionally southern place about one hour from Myrtle, which is very wild, is Litchfield Plantation and Pawley's Island. Litchfield Plantation is about 300 years old and accessed through an entrance of hanging Spanish moss, an amazing site and a very charming place complete with rice fields, alligators, etc. The beach at Pawley's, which is nearby and LP provides a beachfront house for you to change clothes, etc., is wonderful, natural, clean and warm. Be sure to buy liquor to have on hand for Sundays which are dry in the area!! Have fun. By the way the farm markets on the way to and from sell the most delicious watermellon in the world, be sure to stop and buy one if travelling by car and the season permits.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
chuck

Question for CF

I purposefully left off my list a few Italian restaurants that I thought would be problematic for kids.

But now you've got me curious as to what Italian restaurants in the Grand Strand area you would recommend. My wife & I enjoyed Rossi's. And I have heard good things about Chianti South; Martin's; and Benny Rappa's. Have you tried any of these?

What gems can you suggest?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:05 AM
CF

The only two we have tried were Roma, and we tried it a couple times to be fair, and it tasted like Chef Boy R Dee in a can and I had a dead fly in my salad...scratch that one.

We also tried Angelos because we knew the people that owned it and it was not good. To be fair we haven't retried it in years. I only have to slam my hand in the car door once to know it hurts...

After that we stuck to seafood/steaks when we ate out. You hate to waste your pick. Know what I mean? You pick a place to eat out as a treat, plunk down good bucks and it isn't good.

We are pretty well scared to try new Italian anymore.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:59 AM
chuck

CF,

Thanks for the opinions and insight. I certainly agree about spending big bucks (or even medium bucks) and then being disappointed.

Now that I live down here (on a teacher's salary!) my wife & I mostly frequent the reasonably priced places that are close to us and consistently good.

I would recommend: Marker 350; T-Bonz at Barefoot Landing (for lunch); Collector's Cafe (expensive but very good); Duffy Street Seafood Shack; Bummz (for lunch--or drinks); Carraba's; King's Pizza; River City Cafe (for sandwiches); Atlantic Grille; and for happy hour & bar food, Liberty Steakhouse at Broadway at the Beach.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:52 AM
CF

Actually, T Bones is great for dinner too!

Will be down again for a month in Sept., will try some of your suggestions.