George is flat without windings/hills.
I drove US 89 from Flagstaff to Page and
considered it easy. Is it the same?
i happen to only drive flat roads....

4. Where in LV should I rent a car?
Do they bring it to the hotels?

5. I guess I asked this before. If you
had to pick from Luxor, Flamingo and
Treasure Island, which would you go with?
ALso, do they give out refrigerators?

Thanks a bunch

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:03 PM
guy

1)Yes, it is safe not to worry..and it is only bout 5-10 minute cab ride..probably less than 10 bucks..
2)Yes, it is safe not to worry...
3)Few hills...but basically easy driving terrain..It is probably akin to driving from Flagstaff to Page...certainly not worse...although I have not made either drive for a year or so...but nice theraputic easy scenic driving...not to worry...
4)I am sure there is a plethora of rental car facilities in LAS...I believe most of the hotels can probably fix ya up in house....and I know that Enterprise Car Rental advertises that they will bring the car to you..
5)If traveling with kids..I would opt for Treasure Island....if not then perhaps I would chose Flamingo Hilton...it is a toss up...I beleive you will find a fridge in the rooms..if not I am sure they can supply you one..

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Steve Mueller

The drive to St. George is fairly flat and straight (except for the part throught the Virgin River Canyon), but the roads in Zion are very winding and steep in places. The Zion Canyon Drive is somewhat winding and the road up to the tunnel consists of a series of steep switchbacks. Keep in mind that people drive these roads all the time in big awkward RVs. In a passenger car, it's a piece of cake. If you're into hiking, a great trail in Zion is Angels Landing (but I would avoid it if you have a very strong fear of heights).

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:28 AM
corsica

So, you're saying that
the drive "within" Zion is
windy, but not the drive from
Vegas to Zion, correct?
How about the drive from
St. George to Springdate?

I was actually intending on
taking the park shuttle in
Zion...Is this a good idea
in making for safer drive?

Thanks,
c

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:20 AM
rocky

Good grief. Have some more confidence in your driving ability.

Asking those from the mountain states if it's challenging to drive a car over hills would be like asking a Floridian, such as yourself, if it's hard to drive a car when the sun is shining. After all, the sun might get in your eyes and make you crash into an old folks home.

I'm certain that more accidents occur as a result of the blinding sun than drivers failing to navigate 15 degree inclines. Don't worry so much.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Diane

Re: renting a car in Vegas, be sure to check ahead of time if they have any restrictions regarding state to state travel. We spent half of a day in Vegas
haggling with the car rental company when they discovered we were planning on
spending some time in the Grand Tetons
(apparently Wyoming was a no-no). ???
Diane

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:33 AM
guy

The drive from St. George to Springdale is safe..will be easy on your eyes...and easy on your nerves..the driving conditions are good...And yes it is a good idea to take the shuttle into the Park..

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Lisa B

I would stay at Treasure Island. I am a regular visitor to Vegas and I find that, considering its position and luxury, it is the best value for money. I have never had a fridge in my room however, but you may be able to rent one.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Tbone

Taxi ride. It is a very short ride to the strip. Don't worry.You will be fine.
The drive on the interstate to ST. George. 75 mph. vvvrrooommm!!

Angels Landing. Yippee!!
What a hike. the knife edge was a bit scary. Glad I did it though. Canyon Overlook trail is a good one. So is the Watchman.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Dayle

Note: as of last year, the Park Service closed Zion Canyon to shuttles only. No private cars allowed during tourist season - roughly from May - October. You can still drive through the park, only on the state highway that goes from Springdale east/west. That is a very windy road, but not hard in a passenger car. You will love Zion - awesome scenery, hiking.