A few L.A. questions?

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

A few L.A. questions?

We will be in Los Angeles next week for a short visit. Teenage son would like to see a few Art museums,likes contemporary stuff. Which of the main museum would you recommend (Getty, LACMA, MOCA, Simon). Also our last day we need to get from Laguna Niguel to LAX for a noonish flight. I think it is about an hour drive, but at that time of day how bad will the traffic be and do we really need to leave hours prior to our departure.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
yk

Which of the main museum would you recommend (Getty, LACMA, MOCA, Simon).

I've been to all except Norton Simon, and I'd recommend LACMA. LACMA has the *most* diversity in terms of paintings, periods, cultures. It also has the new Broad Contemporary ARt Building which should satisfy your son's modern/contemporary art appetite. Getty Center has a very nice locale and, IMHO, the architecture of the building plus the gardens are more interesting than the art it holds inside. Getty Villa holds mostly greek/roman art & artifacts, which doesn't sound like your son's cup of tea.

MOCA has 2 buildings, the main one near Walt Disney Concert Hall and another wing near Little Tokyo. What's on view depends on the exhibition du jour. So, if he likes cutting edge contemporary stuff, then focus on MOCA. But if he likes Modern art, then LACMA/BCAM would suffice.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
yk

One more museum for you to consider, is the UCLA Hammer Museum. It's pretty small, but has some contemporary art exhibits as well.
http://hammer.ucla.edu/

The whole visit shouldn't take more than an hour or 2.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM

I like the Getty the best.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM

Laguna Niguel to LAX is 1 hr 10-15 min under perfect conditions, but you wont have that. If its a weekday, get in the 405/5 carpool lane and dont get out of it. The lane also has a special merge overpass. Despite the heavy traffic into N OC, you should muddle along pretty well until LA County when the carpool lane ends. At that point you are on your own. The car rental places are offsite, so you need extra time there.

Your saving grace is that 10-12 is overall the best daytime hours on LA freeways. If things go well, 1 30 min. Tune your radio to 1070 AM and be ready with alt routes in case of 'sig alerts'. More than once they have kept me stuck on freeways for hrs in LA.