A few days in NYC

May 27th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

A few days in NYC

I donít see too many trip reports on NYC so I thought Iíd give it a go. (denisea wrote a detailed informative report last summer)

We arrived at The Marriott Marquis Times Sq. Midday on a Thurs. dropped our bags and headed to
Rock. Center for lunch at the Cafe. Such a nice comfortable room overlooking the plaza. Excellent food and service.

The weather was perfect so off to the Top of the Rock. Beautiful views and lots of photos followed.
A not to be missed spot IMO. The rest of the day was spent checking out the area until we met a
NY friend for an early burger. And what a burger it was.

Jackson Hole, 3rd Ave. (Also E. 64th St)
Not a large or fancy place but WOW burgers. Did you ever think of ordering a burger with Brie, bacon, and blueberry compote on top? Absolutely fantastic.

May 27th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Fri. was museum day. We walked up 5th Ave. and stopped in St. Patrick’s, strolled through Central Park, and finally arrived at The Frick Collection. The building itself is lovely and an excellent setting for some stunning artworks. Next on the list was The Met. You could spend days there but a couple of hours worked for us.

The Neue Gallery was our main target and a few blocks from The Met. We wanted to see “The Woman in Gold.” We’ve seen other paintings by Klimt around the world and this one is definitely
worth viewing. The building is beautiful with other works to see but the Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer is the star.

That night was dinner at Balthazar in Soho. I’ll start by saying....GO THERE!
French, best bread we had in NY, outstanding goat cheese salad, and steak frites to rival any we had in France, and of course profiteroles and cool Rose wine on a hot night. Expensive? Yes, but worth it. Reservations necessary,
https://balthazarny.com/

May 27th, 2019, 07:40 PM

I love the views from the Rock and recommend it to all.
Klimt -love that painting !!
May 28th, 2019, 09:51 AM

I enjoyed the Neue Gallery and its effort to educate you about the artists, in addition to displaying their art. I had an interesting meal in the basement cafe (which has the same menu as the main dining room).
May 29th, 2019, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Again the weather on Sat. was beautiful. Time for Chelsea Market, lunch & The High Line.

When you enter Chelsea Market you are hit with aromas from around the world. The food stalls offer a dazzling array of delights for the eye and the palate. It was very crowded but still easy to navigate. The shops are the usual tourist purchases but there were a few places for a quaint find.

Next up was lunch at The Standard Grill Cafe. We met with fellow Fodorite PhillyFan and sat at a table outside. I have been chatting with her on Fodors and Words With Friends for years and it was great to put a face to the name. Getting acquainted, travel talk, and the time flew by. GTG’s with any Fodorites are always a welcome way to spend time in any city. Hopefully we will meet again someday in another location.
I must add that the setting was very nice, the food just OK.

After lunch we walked The High Line all the way to Hudson Yard. It was nice to be away from the traffic and walk among the trees & flowers. Busy? Yes, but the line of people kept moving along.
plenty of benches to sit for awhile and some nice views of the city.

Dinner tonight was at IL Tinello on 56th & 5th. We were so glad to be in a quiet restaurant after the noise of the day. Old school Italian, white table cloths, anti pasta and dessert carts rolled up to the table, perfect service. Expensive? Yes, but the food & ambiance were worth it.
we shared melon & prosciutto along with a salad. The veal scallopini had some of the best sauce I’ve ever tasted. White wine, cheesecake, all wonderful.

On the walk back to The Marriott we stopped in Grand Central Station. Beautifully restored, this iconic landmark is a must see. Next stop, Rock. Center Plaza. Just as impressive at night as it was during the day.

Crossing Times Sq. to the hotel at 11pm on a Sat. night was ......I have no words.....

Chocolates galore

How can you eat shrimp after viewing their little eyes

Spice anyone

Superb Market
May 29th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Lunch with PhillyFan (Mary & Karen)

Walking The Highline
May 29th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Rockefeller Center Plaza

Grand Central Station
May 29th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Yikes!!
May 29th, 2019, 09:51 AM

Love your pictures. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
May 29th, 2019, 11:46 AM

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had a lovely trip.

Lee Ann
May 30th, 2019, 03:14 AM

There are so many iconic places to visit while in NY. If you're having a special occasion or just don't mind to spend little bit more for dinner, I suggest you to go to Hotel1 restaurant or Bar 65. The views are amazing and the food/drinks are just perf!