Reload this Page >

A different "eating at the bar" - NYC - question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM
arjay

I don't know whether this is a farily new concept, or I've just never been aware of it before, but I'm curious. It would seem like a good way to sample some pricier restaurants at a somewhat reduced cost...is that so? Is the same menu offered at the bar? Is this a good option for 'earlier' dining (i.e., before 8). Any favorite recommendations of bar-dining?

(Background: We're rather stodgy diners - not fans of much in the way of the typically classified 'ethnic' cuisines, beyond Mexican. But enjoy American, French, Italian, cajun, steaks, seafood...etc..) Thanks for any help!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Patrick

It may vary with restaurants, but mainly I only know it as a way to eat when the tables are all full or reserved, or a better way for a single diner to feel less conspicuous. Most places I'm aware of use the same menu, so you really aren't saving any money --except that you might feel less guilty by just ordering an appetizer or a single course. Unfortunately, some places it seems the bar has become so popular for eating, that if you arrive early for your table and want to just have a drink or wait there for your friends who are meeting you, there's no place to have a drink -- everybody at the bar is busy eating!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 01:38 PM
suzanne

I only eat at the bar if I can't get a regular seat, if I just want an appetizer, or if I'm dining alone.

They usually offer the same menu as the rest of the restaurant, except maybe at fancier places. Eating at the bar does NOT cost any less than eating at a regular table - I'm not sure where you got this idea. My favorite place to eat at the bar is Delta Grill at 48th and 9th. It's a festive Cajun place that has appetizers to die for. And there's usually a friendly crowd at the bar.

Remember, though, in NYC you cannot smoke in restaurants EXCEPT at the bar. If you're a smoker, this works out great for you. But if you want to avoid smoke, better sit at a table.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:59 PM
Robin

Now I'm concerned. I'll be in Manhattan on business next week. Should I interpret your answers as saying that I should NOT ask for a table if I'm alone? Would the restaurant or the server consider this to be "a waste" of a table? I'm not talking primetime Satrday night-- just your basic weeknight dinner.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:03 AM
Ellen

Robin, of course you can ask for a table and dine alone. Some people who are alone prefer the bar and the company of the bartender or other loners who belly up next to them. Just a personal choice.

There is another savings to eating at the bar. There is no tax on the drinks when you just pay a separate bar tab for them. If they are added to a dinner bill, they are taxed. Small savings, but just thought I'd point that out since a drink in NYC can be $10 or $12 each at times.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:25 AM
the boss

Robin, with regards to your concern that the server would be upset at you for dining alone: please don't feel like you shouldn't go to a nice restaurant alone, and never order something just to please the waiter! The restaurant is in business to serve you, and a waiter knows that sometimes tables will have a full 4 people and sometimes just 1. If you want a nice meal, and you are alone, by all means get a table if you want. Some people simply feel more comfortable eating alone at the bar however.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:26 AM
Frank

arjay: Try Guastavino's under the 59th Street Bridge at First Avenue. Excellant bar scene, you might even get a table in the bar area, without having to pay for a full meal of so-so food. The restaurant is an architectural landmark and definitely worth a visit.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:00 AM
Robin

Thanks for the reassurance! I don't mean to be silly, and I'm perfectly comfortable eating alone at home, but New York being such a "foodie" town, I was afraid there might be a different moré.

Interesting tip about drinks-- that's a new one to me.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:14 AM
suzanne

Robin,
Don't worry about getting a table by yourself. People here do that all the time. I usually get a lot of reading done this way, while enjoying a good meal. When I want company, I eat at the bar; when I want to be left alone, I eat at a table. No biggie.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:02 AM
arjay

Thanks for all the input/clarification - very helpful! Esp the reminder about smoke at the bar, which is a turn-off right there - even if there were a $ savings. And thanks to Suzanne for the Cajun/Delta Grill rec.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
lisa

Another great place to eat in the bar (and they have tables set up there, too) is at China Grill 52nd and 6th Ave. The food is meant for sharing (large servings), so two can easily share 2-3 appetizers or 1 appetizer & 1 main course, etc. Yummy food.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
nyer

I'm not sure any of the answers above touched on part of arjay's original question. In some of ny's better casual restaurants (e.g. Union Square Cafe, there are indeed different, less expensive menus available only at the bar--though you can virtually always order from the more complete menu too.Sometimes, the 'bar' is actually a separate room next door (NY times had an article about this a couple of weeks ago, maybe they were referring to Craft?). You can sometime order a burger, for example, rather than a whole meal, while perhaps checking out the menu you might want to indulge in the next time

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Kate

Gramercy Tavern has a beautiful front room/bar area with lots of seating and people watching for solo diners. Best thing is it doesn't take reservations, so you actually have a chance of getting a table. The menu is maybe simpler and less expensive than the restaurant proper, but just as good. Some of the dishes are identical. Really recommend both. Great atmosphere and some of the best food I've ever had.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:01 AM
Allison

I love eating at the bar, especially when I'm travelling alone. The bartender is your key to what to do in that area. They tend to converse more freely than servers at tables and know more about the nightlife and hot spots. I am a firm believer that when you are travelling solo, or even with friends, the bar is the place to sit. You get faster and friendlier service, by far. And you may even meet other solo travellers that want a companian for the museum the next day.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:54 AM
arjay

NYer & Kate: Thanks! Your answers are more along the lines of what I was looking for; it was references to eating at the bar at USC, Craft and GT that sparked this query.

Have also noted the China Grill idea.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Ellen

Three other suggestions for casual barstool dining are:
Gramercy Tavern
Tabla
Rue 57
All have a very lively bar atmosphere. The first 2 have tables also in the bar area so smoking is usually less of a problem. Food at all three are terrific. Gramercy is New American, Tabla has a bit of an Indian influence and Rue is a french bistro that also serves sushi!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM
me

Rosie O'Gradys on the corner of 51st and 7th has tasty food and a great looking Irish bartendar to boot! You can sit at the bar or get a table. The bartendar was a HUGE source of information for my recent weekend there.