A Day in Baton Rouge - what to do?

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day in Baton Rouge - what to do?

My husband and I are having to make a last-minute trip to Houston, leaving Sun. 12/5, and since we're both so over flying for the time being, we decided to drive and make a couple of stops on the way over and back to get a break from the driving. The return trip includes a couple of days in NO, where we have been many times before (though not since '03, since Katrina) but we decided to spend one day in Baton Rouge (Tues. 12/7) on the way to Houston. We have never been to Baton Rouge but I figured there would be some nicely decorated plantations to put us in the Christmas spirit.

When I started searching Baton Rouge and plantations on this forum and TripAdvisor, nearly everything I came up with was rather old and some of what was recent was a bit disheartening - like maybe Magnolia Mound Plantation is closed for renovations, except for the kitchen. Can't tell from their website if White Oak Plantation is even open for tours or just catering, functions, and group tours. (These were the most highly rated on TA.) Some years ago when my husband was doing a trade show, I drove up one side of the Mississippi and down the other from NO, looking at plantations, and I'd rather see different ones this time. Seems The Myrtles is closed Tues., so that's out.

Can anybody suggest plantations you've liked that are open for tours or other things that would be interesting to see in the Baton Rouge area that don't involve a lot of driving (since we'll be doing plenty of that other days)? We're actually spending the night before in Hammond, so anything between Hammond and Baton Rouge is a bonus.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:37 AM

The Capitol Building (both old and new) are very interesting to tour.

The actual plantations are primarily south of Baton Rouge which is a bit off your itinerary. But it would definitely be worth a detour to see Nottoway or Oak Alley if you could.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Visit the destroyer USS Kidd restored to its WWII configuration. Check out the enlisted men's sleeping quarters and "head" to see the conditions in which they lived.

There is also a museum and gift shop on site.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I had read something about the Capitol Building but didn't realize that there was a destroyer which could be toured.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Re Baton Rouge. Both capitol buildings are well worth a visit. The old one is now the site of a historic museum (and quite lovely in its own right), while the current capitol is one of the best I've seen in the US (out of the 28 I've visited so far). The Louisiana State Museum is good of its kind. Have been to Magnolia Mound Plantation and it made for a pleasant visit -- sorry to hear it's being renovated; I'd call them to make sure that's the case, as their website is somewhat confusing on the issue.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM

If a ship's association is holding a memorial service on the fantail of the USS Kidd while you are there, it would be interesting to watch from shore. Especially if a bagpiper plays Amazing Grace and Mount 51, the forward gun mount, is fired in tribute to the deceased.