Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A big thanks to all who gave New Orleans dining suggestions!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 05:47 PM
dee

Hello. Just got back from N.O. and had a great time. I just recently came to this forum looking for advice for our trip and have been hooked ever since!

I really want to thank everyone for giving such wonderful suggestions, especially for food. (You'll probably recognize your recommendations.) I'll give a quick breakdown of our dining experience:

Petnuia's - Had a nice dinner there but later remembered they were suggested for breakfast...oops. It was still good food and the waiter was great!

Central Grocery - Just had to try the much-talked-about muffalettas. Loved it so much we bought the olive salad to bring home.

Irene's - What a treat! We loved this place. The food was delicious (dinner), and the staff was wonderful. We especially enjoyed the piano man in the back room.

Cafe du Monde - Another must-try we weren't going to miss. Liked them but didn't have to go back for more, especially since there were so many other places to try.

Croissant D'Or - Scrumptious pastries and what a deal!! I don't believe we saw anything there (including premade sandwiches) for over $4.

Port O'Call - Huge burgers accompanied by a large baked potato. Not bad. I must admit, we would have never eaten at this place had it not been suggested. We definitely felt we were among the locals, which we enjoyed. Great music, and the waitress was a doll.

Palace Cafe - Despite it being Friday night and having no reservations and wearing shorts, we were seated within 20 minutes. The time flew by as we enjoyed sitting at the counter watching the kitchen staff prepare the food. What a fabulous meal! Had to try the turtle soup...I can't find the right words to express how wonderful it was. Everything was out of this world.
I know it's owned by the same family who owns Commander's Palace, which we didn't try, but does anyone know if they use the same recipe for turtle soup at both restaurants?

Clover Grill - The food is not extraordinary, but we had a great time here. I don't know this waiter's name (he was the only waiter there), but he was by far the best entertainment we saw our whole trip. What a hoot!! I'd go back just to see him again.
Meg, do you know who I'm talking about??

As you can see, we basically ate our way through New Orleans! We were never disappointed, and I believe that's because of all of you. Thanks again!!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Meg

If you were at the Clover in the a.m., and your waiter was a large African-American man, that's Earl. He's our regular waiter - and he is great entertainment.

As for the turtle soup recipe, there are two different Brennan families that run the various restaurants. They're related, but the operate separately. I'm not sure which part runs which restaurant. There is a cook book called Breakfast at Brennan's that I use all the time for chicken and sausage gumbo, corn and crab bisque, etc. I am almost positive that there is a turtle soup recipe in there.

You've now given me a Port of Call craving. Glad you had a good time here. Thanks for the follow-up post.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Meg

Dee - I tried to post this once but it's gone.... Please excuse if this is a duplicate post.

If you were at the Clover in the a.m. and your waiter was a large African-American man, that's Earl. He's our regular waiter and is great entertainment.

As for the turtle soup recipe, there are two different Brennan families that run the restaurants. They are related but operate separately. I don't know which part runs which restaurant - other than Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse is not run by the same people who run Commander's. I have a cookbook called Breakfast at Brennan's that has a turtle soup recipe. I haven't tried it - it's easier to go out for turtle soup here, but everything else I've made from this book has been great. I'll be happy to fax it to you if you would like (it's kind of long). Please e-mail me directly if you are interested.

You've given me a Port of Call craving now. Glad you had a good time. Thanks for the follow up post.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:17 AM
kal

Dee, Agree w/ Meg...I've got a Port 'o Call jones going right now....I need a Monsoon to wash down that baked potato!

And, what I'd give for some olvie relish right now!

I don't know if I can wait until 11-5-00!
Sounds like your "Good Times Rolled!"
Kal

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 05:21 PM
dee

Meg, your description of Earl sounds like our waiter. He had us, as well as everyone else, cracking up the whole time we were there.

Yes, Kal, we did have a great time. We also enjoyed the two piano ladies at Pat O'Brien's. To be honest, we just stopped in to cool off and try a hurricane, but we got a kick out of the ladies.

I know there's been a lot of talk about the dangers of New Orleans, but we never felt unsafe. Don't get me wrong, we were always aware of our surroundings, but we had no problems whatsoever. We walked down Magazine/Decatur Streets from Washington Avenue to Esplanade Avenue with a camara around my husband's neck. (I know, I know, could we be more obvious??) We also wandered around Lafayette Cemetary No. 1 by ourselves, walked all over the Quarter at all times of day and up to about 1 a.m. We took the ferry over to Algiers and wandered around there as well and took the St. Charles street car a couple of times. I would hope that one would not avoid visiting N.O. because of a fear of danger. It's a great city with much to see and do, so take advantage!

Sorry for giving the both of you a craving. At least it can be satisfied (although, Kal will have to have a little patience)!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Meg

Dee - I'll tell Earl that's been mentioned on the internet - it'll make his day!

Thanks for the trip report. It sounds like you did the best thing one can do in N.O. - just walk around and soak it up. Pat O's piano bar can be great fun on a hot afternoon. Glad you enjoyed the city.