Search

7 Day 10 Yr. Aniversary Trip to Hawaii - Comments Please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 Day 10 Yr. Aniversary Trip to Hawaii - Comments Please

Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a relaxed vacation and have decided to go to Hawaii. Below is our tenative itenerary for August 2006. I have one question and would appreciate your comments or suggestions regarding our stay and accomodations:

Day 1 Travel to Honolulu and arrive in the evening. Check into the Hilton Hawaii Villiage off Waikiki in Honolulu (using points for the stay). Will be here for two nights before we travel to Hana.

Question: Should we rent a car to get around Honolulu?

Day 2: Honolulu

Day 3: Travel to Hana via PacificWings airline. Check into Hotel Hana-Maui for four nights (Hopefully the highlight of our trip for rest and relaxation).

Day 4: Hana
Day 5: Hana

Day 6: Hana. Rent a convertible car to return at the Muai-Kahului airport Day 7.

Day 7: Travel to Muai-Kahului on the Hana Hwy and make some stops on the way

Day 7: Night flight (red-eye) back to the mainland.

Also, if anyone has any recent experiences on the Hotel Hana-Maui. We are looking to stay on the one of the front Ocean cottages w/spa.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
bonniebroad

Congrats on your 10 years together!

No, you don't need a car to get around Honolulu for the one full day. You'll get there in the evening, have the next day free, then be on your way to Hana the next, right? I would ride an airport shuttle to my hotel that first night, and arrange for pickup back to the airport on the third day. Then I'd just enjoy Hilton Hawaiian Village and surrounding Waikiki (on foot) for the short time I had there, unless you want to arrange a shuttle-pickup at your hotel to go to Pearl Harbor early that day, and spend part of your morning there. (If you can possibly stretch your visit, I would. My first visit was 9 days ... not nearly enough!!!)

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM
trippinkpj

I'm not a huge Oahu fan, although 2 nights seems a little short in one place. The Pearl harbor tour was worth it. HHV is a great spot.

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM

If you rent a car, you can go to the North Shore, which I would highly recommed. I, too, would go to Pearl Harbor--a definate "don't miss."
We stayed at the Hilton Hawiian Village last May--you will love the hotel.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Maybe we should take one day from Hana-Maui and add one to Honolulu. I will do some more research.

Thank you all for you comments. It is appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM

Hey there! You will love MAUI and I don't think you should cut your trip in HANA short. IT will be magical! Have a super time...you will be back...once you visit your soul will be touched...what a wonderful occasion to be celebrating.

Aloha!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM

I am SO jealous. The Hotel Hana Maui is a paradise. I would think it would depend on how big of a priority rest and relaxation is in deciding whether or not to cut a day off of your Hana stay and put it on the Oahu leg. There is a LOT to see and do on Oahu, even though it is not my personal favorite. Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial is definitely a must see. The place brings tears to my eyes. If the "relaxed" part of your vacation is a definite priority, I wouldn't cut your trip on Maui short.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

How long does it take to do Pearl Harbor if we have our own car?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM

elmo,
Hana is a favorite haunt of many of us. It is "old Hawaii". I would consider getting the rental car in Hana when you get there. Even though you will want to hang loose at the Hotel, there is a lot to do and see on that part of the island and I think you would find a car handy for the days you are there. My two cents...Have a great trip.
-Bill
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:18 PM

Elmo, I would think that you could do Pearl Harbor in about a half a day, maybe a little more. It will really all depend on how much time you want to spend and how much you want to see when you get there. My husband and I have gone together and it was more like a half day or so. He went back alone (but is a big history buff) and he literally spent all day there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM

Definately rent a car on oahu.

Even two days is enough time to tour the island.

By the time you pay for cabs/shuttles/buses, you won't save much $$$ if any and you will have spent a lot of time on buses.

You have time for Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl/Roundtop/Tantalus Drive and probably one of these two driving tours.

Here are two driving tours on Oahu.

You can combine the two if you want, but it is better to split them especially if you make frequent stops and want some beach/dining/shopping time.

1. Mini-circle island tour.

Start in Waikiki:

Diamond Head Lookout & Lighthouse on Diamond Head Road.

Continue on Diamond Head Road. When Diamond Head Road turns to go around Diamond Head, go straight on Kahala Ave. This will go through a residential area with nice houses. (Note): You can also take Diamond Head around to the entrance to Diamond Head. Even if you cannot do the hike, you can go through the tunnel into the crater to see what it looks like. Turn around just before the pay booth. Also Kapiolani Community College (KCC) has a nice cactus display. KCC is almost straight across from the entrance to Diamond Head.

After about 2 miles on Kahala Ave, turn left onto Keala'olu Ave (just before Kahala Mandarin Hotel).

Take Keala'olu Ave to Kalaniana'ole Hwy (72).

Continue around island to Hanauma Bay (don't need to go to the visitors center). You can get some excellent views & pictures from the steps and lookouts that go up and to the left of the visitors center. $1 for parking.

Continue to Halona Blowhole and Halona Cove (From Here to Eternity Beach) next to it. Halona Blowhole lookout also overlooks Sandy Beach.

Sandy Beach - Nice beach.

Makapuu Lighthouse Trail - Just past Sandy Beach and just after the road turns inland, look for a gate and a paved trail on the right. Trail is about 1 mile one way. You can often see whales from near the lighthouse.

Continue to Makapuu Pt. Lookout. Overlooks Manana (Rabbit) Island & Makapuu Beach & Sea Life Park.

Continue to Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area (just past Waimanalo Beach). Scenic isolated beach (just before Bellows AFB). Bellows Beach is also nice. Open to the public on weekends.

Continue to Highway 61 (Pali Highway). Make a left onto Pali Highway. Take it back to Honolulu, stopping at Pali Lookout.

Note: If you were to make a right onto Pali Hwy (63), you could go to Kailua and Lanikai Beaches. You can stop there with either tour.

2. Circle island tour.

Start in Waikiki:

Take McCully or Kapahulu to H-1 West

Take Pali Highway (61) across to Kaneohe. Stop at Pali Lookout.

Continue to Kaneohe. Make a left onto Highway (83) to Kaneohe (or go straight if you want to go to Kailua and Lanikai Beaches).

At the far side of Windward Mall in Kaneohe, make a left onto Haiku Road. Take Haiku Rd. across Kahekili Highway to Haiku Gardens. The botanical garden is just below Haleiwa Joe's Restaurant. Nice small Botanical garden with a Koi pond. It's free.

Go back to Kahekili Hwy. Turn left. Go about two miles. Turn left into Valley of the Temples (Byodo-In Temple). Very Scenic.

Back to Kahekili Hwy. Continue around the island. In a mile or so Kahekili Hwy will end and intersect with Kamehameha Hwy (83). Continue around the island to Haleiwa.

Stops on Kamehameha Hwy:

Kualoa Regional Park/Chinaman's Hat (nice for pictures). There is a Macadamia Nut Farm Outlet on the right just before Kualoa Park. Nice stop for free samples, coffee trees, macadamia trees. They have an inexpensive tour if you want. Kualoa Ranch is across from Kualoa Park.

In Laie, make a right at the stoplight. Go to Laie Pt. Scenic, good for pictures. Polynesian Cultural Center is in Laie. Also Mormon Temple is in Laie.

Just past Laie, is Makaekahana State Recreation Area. Scenic with an isolated beach & several islands.

Kahuku - Several shrimp trucks including Giovanni's. Romy's is just on the other side of Kahuku. Those are the two most popular shrimp trucks.

North Shore Beaches:

Sunset Beach Park

Ehukai Beach Park (Banzai Pipeline)

Pupukea Beach Park (Shark's Cove) Scenic with lots of small lava islands. Nice for snorkeling in the summer. If you make a left on Pupukea Road (at the stoplight), go up the hill and park off to the side where the road to the Heiau starts. Walk back on Pupukea Road about 1/2 block for great view of some of the beaches. Then drive to the end of the road to the Heiau about 1 mile) and park in the Heiau parking area. Take the short (about 1 block) red dirt trail straight ahead for a nice view of Waimea Bay.

Waimea Bay Beach Park - Best scenic beach on the north shore.

Laniakea Beach - About 1/2 way between Waimea Bay and Haleiwa. Look for parking on the opposite side of the road. Several sea turtles are here. This is also called Lani's Beach or Turtle Beach.

Just before Haleiwa, make a left onto the bypass to Honolulu. (Go through Haleiwa if you have more time). Take Highway 99 to Honolulu. Follow signs to Honolulu. You will pass Dole Pineapple Center. Stop there if you have time.

Continue to Honolulu.

Here are three sites/links with driving tour info:

www.discoveringhawaii.com Free (pdf) download Circle Island Driving tour map. Also free (pdf) download Oahu movie location map.

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/tours/ Good driving & walking tours.

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good narrative drive guide w/photos.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
bonniebroad

elmo218, you said that you were looking for a relaxed vacation in Hawaii. I don't know where you're coming from, but you might want to factor jet-lag into your plans, especially if you're coming from the East Coast.

I don't know your exact flight times but if you are getting into Waikiki/HHV in the evening, have one free day, then leave for Hana the next day (what time is that flight to Hana?) I will respectfully disagree with the above posters who say you have time to go to the North Shore, tour the island, etc. If you do that, you will not have a moment to enjoy the Hilton Hawaiian Village or surrounding Waikiki area. An airport shuttle, like one from reliable.com, cost $18 per person, roundtrip. They charge $11 PP for their Pearl Harbor shuttle from your hotel. It takes time to pick up and return cars, and you don't have a lot of time in Waikiki. You really won't have enough time on Waikiki to need a car, IMHO. You will find more than enough to do around Waikiki, on foot, for one day; I would save the rest of Oahu for a later, longer trip! Whatever you decide,have a great time. Six nights is not very long in a place like Hawaii, and I just hope you won't overcrowd your days to the point that you come home needing a vacation!

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow so many choices. Jamq thanks for the suggestion on the rental while in Hana. I thought that the hotel would have shuttle transportation to the various sites.

Also, does any one have any experiences with the Polynesian Cultural Center. We are really interested in doing this for the lau.

Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Whoops I meant Luau
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
bonniebroad

elmo218, I don't know if you saw my last post? Both our seemed to post at about the same time (as I'd been reviewing and editing mine)??? The Polynesian Cultural Center is expensive, so you want to go there only if you have enough time to make it worthwhile. You could do just the evening "Horizons" show & luau combined; I think that show is the best thing about the place ... really fabulous; the rest of the experience is geared more for children, IMO. You can get a tour leaving from the HHV, and not have to worry about driving/parking at night.

If it's a luau you're mainly interested in and not the show, I'd look into what they might have in Hana while I was there.

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM

Elmo, congrats on your 10 years! We just got back from our 25th anniversary trip, and, like you, rest & relaxation were our top priorities too! That said, I would most definitely recommend NOT renting a car. You're not there for that long, and traffic on Oahu is horrendous! NOT my idea of R & R!!! We also stayed at HHV, and it's beautiful -- you can just hang out there and on the beach if you're into relaxing! One of our favorite activities each day was to walk down Waikiki Beach to the Royal Hawaiian's MaiTai bar for a drink, then take a leisurely stroll back to watch the sunset (okay, it rained every day we were there, and there was only one sunset to speak of, but it was a beaut!). Rather than the driving tour Dusty suggested, you can take a Circle Island tour thru E Noa tours (book it right at the HHV travel desks) -- we did the Deluxe Little tour for under $30 a person, saw most of the places Dusty mentioned, and had a guide to tell us what we were seeing, not to mention do all the driving!!! (We enjoyed this much more than we thought we would!) Re: luaus, we did the Paradise Cove luau and thought they did a great job, although be warned, the food was the least impressive part of it! (We've been told this is true of luaus in general.) We've also been told that the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center is not the best one, although the Horizons show is supposed to be exceptional (unfortunately we didn't make it there this trip). Hope you have as wonderful a trip as we did -- just relax and enjoy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Elmo, What nights are you staying at the HHV? Every Friday night they have fireworks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Hello bonniebroad,

I did not see your post until after my post. I am in line with what your saying. We are coming from the east coast and will have jet-lag. We just got over a trip to Europe this month and the first day was not easy with the jet-lag.

Unfortunately, it looks like becuase of our short stay I will not be able to do Pearl Harbor. However, we are interested in the luau and the Horizon show. After doing more research I think that is only thing we will do during our stay at Honolulu. I also agree about not renting a car, in Honolulu. During our Europe trip were always on the go, we want this to be very relaxed. The rest will just have to wait for our next Hawain trip.

Again, thanks for your oppinions, as they have been helpful.

Its funny how our trip keeps chaning everyday as I do more research and get more first hand feed back. That's why it is so important to plan ahead to ensure the best possible vacation.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM

elmo,
The only shuttle that I think the Hotel Hana Maui has is the old red bus that takes you to Hamoa Beach, but I may be wrong. In any case, I would not want to spend any time in Hana without a car. There is a lot to see, much of it 5 - 10 miles in either way from the hotel.
-Bill
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Bill,

Can I ask what references you used to determine what to visit on your trip in Hana.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -