Search

60-90 Day Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60-90 Day Road Trip

Looking at our planned route, have we missed out anything?

Will have a hire car and are happy to travel 250 miles per day round trips.

Whilst we want to see the touristy things we also want to experience REAL America.

Our planned route is:
Santa Monica
Pismo Beach
Monterey
SF
Jamestown
Yosimite
Mammoth Lakes
Lone Pine
Beatty
Death Valley Furnace
Las Vagas
Kingman
Flagstaff
Phoenix/Scotts Dale
Palm Springs
San Diego - Inc Mexico trip
Santa Monica

Thoughts???
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM

That seems to be mostly California and Arizona. There's a lot more "real" America out there further east!! LOL
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which Jamestown are you seeking? All of the other places named seem to be California, Arizona and Nevada which is fine but doesn't cover that much of our great country.
With at least 60 days I think you could see at least 20 states.
Make sure that your visa covers reentry to the US after visiting Mexico.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Also, make sure you can take your rental car into Mexico.

I'm guessing you're planning to visit the Jamestown in gold rush country?

In the time you have, you could probably add a couple of national parks. Are you planning to visit the Grand Canyon while you're in Arizona? You could visit Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks in southern Utah. www.nps.gov/grca www.nps.gov/zion www.nps.gov/brca

What time of the year will you be traveling?

Lee Ann
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
At least drive through Sedona, off of I-17, on your way from Flagstaff to the Phoenix area.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM

There are a few places on the list that are a mystery to me for first-time visitors, but maybe other posters know something I don't (Pismo Beach?) As noted above, definitely the Grand Canyon and Sedona should be on the list, and consider the national parks in southern Utah as well. You mentioned San Francisco, but not Napa Valley, which would also be a great stop if you like wine.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Not counting the Mexico portion because you don't say exactly where you're going in Mexico, the route you have outlined is about 2010 miles. If you're willing to drive up to 250 miles/day. that means you could complete the route in 8 days. Now, obviously you will stay overnight or spend several days in some areas, but still. You've given yourself 60-90 days for a relatively short route.

So when you ask if you're missing anything it's safe to say yes, you are missing a lot of things. Mainly the rest of the country. You could cover a lot more ground than what you've listed.

Truthfully I think the best thing you could do is repost your topic, and this time say: "I have 60-90 days and want to see (insert your must-see destinations) plus experience real America. Can someone give me a proposed itinerary that would be doable in 60-90 days?"

Otherwise we're kind of working backwards and taking what's probably at most a 30 day road trip and trying to stretch it to fill 60-90 days. It would be much easier to start from scratch than to reconfigure your existing route.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 03:01 PM

What country are you from?

For first timers to the US, you could skip the lesser sights, like Mammoth (the Austrian and Swiss Alps are better if you're from Europe). Also skip Lone Pine, Beatty (where's that?), Palm Spring, etc.

Like others here, I strongly recommend the national parks in the Southwest -- Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Canyonland, Monument Valley etc. and of course the Grand Canyon. I think those are really unique to the US and truly spectacular, nothing like it in many places in the world I've been to, and should not be missed on such a long trip. It's a great road trip too, as the drive will be very scenic.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was just in Pismo Beach this past weekend and it was wonderful. So beautiful.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 02:26 AM

A little more input from you would help folks give you advice.

When are you planning to go on your trip? If it is winter, the suggestions will be different than if it is spring, summer or fall.

What do you consider "real America"? Do you want to see the people in cities, small towns, resort areas, mountains, deserts, seashore? Do you want to see the amazing natural wonders or more of the man made things?

Come back and give some information.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 06:18 AM

We took a less than 60 day road trip - From Phoenix - stayed at Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, Salt Lake, Twin Falls (Idaho),Boise, Idaho Falls, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Helena, Great Falls, Glacier (both east and west sides), Coeur d'Alene, Seattle, Vancouver (B.C.), cruise to Alaska, 10 days in Alaska, Sequim (Washington), Olympia, Portland, Florence (Oregon), Crater Lake, Susanville (CA), Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco, Monterey, Carlsad.

We weren't rushed and saw all the major sights and national parks/monuments.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM

And yes, there were a lot of places on their itinerary that were wonder whys to me also.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Your itinerary needs to be date precise because you'll need reservations on the California coast and for staying in or near Yosemite.