Search

6 hours in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 10:09 AM
Robin

6 hours in Chicago

Will have a 6 hour layover in Chicago (at O'Hare).
Any suggestions about what to do that is close by or easily accessible?

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 04:05 PM
anna m

There is nothing to see around O'Hare except hotels, hotels, and more hotels. There is a branch of the Museum of Broadcast Communications right at the airport, which might be interesting. People-watching at O'Hare is actually semi-interesting. If you really want to make a mad scramble into the city, it's about 45 minutes by elevated train (the "L") and if you get off at Washington street you are practically in the basement of Marshal Fields. You could take a cab but it's expensive and don't try it at rush hour. The train is about $1.50. I personally would not leave the airport if that is all the time you have.

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 09:40 PM
Ramster111

Your best bet is to go downtown. It will cost you $22.00 by cab one way (about 30 minutes). Visit the Miracle Mile (Michigan Avenue) from the Chicago River to the Water tower. It's a great place to walk and take in one of our country's most interesting old areas. Especially, if you admire old architecture.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 08:37 AM
Raeona

Do NOT leave the airport by cab unless you want to take a chance on blowing your connection! True, with clear traffic, it's only a 30 minute hop to downtown, but Chicago expressway traffic is getting worse and worse, and you could be sitting in the back of that taxi, the meter climbing and your nerves fraying with worry over whether you will make it back to the airport on time! The subway train that was mentioned is a better idea....tho every so often, for one reason or another, the trains, too will stall, so for peace of min'ds sake, I'd suggest you allow yourself an hour and a half or two hours to get back to the aiport...even tho the journey is about 45 minutes. The Washington street exit that was suggested is a good idea. When you go upstairs you'll be in Marshall Fields....a fun place to explore for 1-2 hours; there's a choice of restaurants on the 7th floor, and a quite good "food court" sort of thing in the basement....There also is a Crate and Barrel across the stret (Wabash Ave.)

Good luck!

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 08:04 PM
D. Woods

Two places that are my favorite to pass the time. One is in the Ohare Hilton Bar. I know it sounds strange, but they have a bar there that was the inspiration for what became the Playboy Clubs. It's very unique, has a giant picture of Jimmy Durante with some of the waitresses from back in the 60's, and the waitresses still wear a bunny style outfit, just no tail. The decor really puts you back in time.
My favorite restaurant in all of Chicago is right near Ohare. It's Nicks Fishmarket. It's about a 5 minute taxi from the airport. It has a great bar, very "Chicago like" and a fabulous restaurant. It's quite pricey, but the food, service and atmoshere are out of this world. I stop here everytime I have more than a 2 hour layover.