Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

6/22/05: Don't Come To Indian Shores ... Red Tide Is Worse!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
bonniebroad

Guys, we just came back from an hour and half walk on the beach, and I swear it gets worse every day!!! There are SO MANY DEAD FISH AND EELS in the water and on the beach, many more today than this past Saturday through yesterday, and I thought that was bad .... couldn't wait to get home and shower, and I hadn't brought enough water (only one medium bottle) to quell my choking and coughing.

Don't misunderstand ... I love this area, love my condo, everything about this place ... but I DON'T love this Red Tide, and especially, if you were bringing children who couldn't wait to get to the beach, what a huge disappointment! I would hold off on reserving a place here, for now ... I talked to one of the guys cleaning up the beach today, and he said he'd lived here 20-some years, and this was as bad as he had seen it.

We are getting ready to go to either Tarpon Springs or St. Petersburg, for the afternoon, to have a lovely lunch out, do some shopping, and then go kayaking for the first time this evening with our landlady and her husband. What a doll, what a find, she is!!! We are still very happy we came here, but if I had little ones who's idea of vacation is living on the beach, I probably wouldn't feel that way.

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the Gulf Coast but when we visited Sarasota back in March, the red tide nearly sent me to the hospital for my asthma. Knowing what I now know about red tide, I would have to say that I would be reluctant to risk my health for a visit to any such affected area. Although I did not respond to your other thread, If I were in your shoes, I would have had no choice but to leave regardless of whether or not a refund would be given to me.

Sounds like you are making the very best of a very bad situation. Have a great time, Bonnie!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:32 AM

Well, bonnnie, I guess nobody's perfect. I had thought the red tide would be gone for good, and it has apparently departed us here in St Pete Beach. I'm sorry you still have it up there in Native American Shores (can't say Indian any more) and I think you'll especially enjoy visiting Tarpon Springs.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Lwc

Bonnie, I hate to hear that it is so bad there. I guess I made the right decision by changing our vacation to North Myrtle Beach. We were supposed to come to Indian Shores on July 2, but we were afraid to chance it. I am glad we went on and changed. The kids would have been soo upset.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM

I just read your reply saying red tide had departed you in St.Pete can you please email me and tell me more about that!! I am to arrive in St.Pete on July 2nd and I was so afraid we would be there in the middle of it!! I really got a big smile reading your reply!! I sure hope I read it right!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:55 PM
bonniebroad

Wayne, there are no guarantees in life, for sure! The only disappointing thing about our trip is the Red Tide, but we love the area. Anything can throw a curve on vacation ... a whole week of pouring rain, a hurricane, coming down with flu your first day ... whatcha gonna d??? We just had a great lunch at Cha Cha Coconuts on The Pier, and and hit all the little shops. Now we're going to kayak for the first time......... life is good!

Lwc, I think you've made the right decision, with your kids. Maybe you can come to Florida next year!

One bit of great news ... Sanibel, where we're going Saturday, for three days, is CLEAN!!!

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

Wayne, I want to know if you actually went to the beach to make your determination that RT is gone. Because it sure ain't gone on Sunset Beach, which is within 1 mile, no a half mile, of St. Pete Beach. The tickle in the throat, the stench of dead fish, it's all here.

Lwc, you definitely made the right decision.

Bugalug, I feel for you. Although there's still time for the RT to go away! We are having a boat party for my husband's big 5-0 on 7/17, and I'm hoping it won't be ruined!

Here are two sites that do frequent updates: Note that the Mote site indicated they will do a "three day cruise" from Tampa to Naples next week (before July 4) to do further updates...

http://isurus.mote.org/~mhenry/rtupdate.phtml

This one is more detailed and updated every Friday:

http://www.floridamarine.org/
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM

Geez, I hope that boat doesn't push the red tide down to us in Naples. We've been red tide free for a while now, and not looking forward to a repeat visit of it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM

bonniebroad-
So sorry to hear about your vacation.

We are headed there 7/23 and are afraid it will still be hanging around. This will be our first trip to that area in many years as we are usually in the Panhandle. But, we are keeping our hopes up with the same theory you are using - it could be a hurricane...

I hope you continue to post the things you find to do instead of the beach to give us ideas if needed. We were already considering Tarpon Springs since we visited there years ago & would like to bring the little kids.

Again, sorry about your trip and thanks for the info!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
bonniebroad

Indian Shores is REALLY horrendous today .... wish I could show you photos! We could not even walk on the beach any distance this morning for the stench and coughing!!! So sad ....... poor fishies, yukky eels!!! Thanks to all of you who have sent "vacation thoughts."

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM
OO

Bonniebroad, Not only do I feel awful for you, I'm beginning to worry about us too. We've got a week to get it out of there. I've got to say though, you've been a real sport about this Bonnie. You are a breath of fresh air...even if you can't get one there on the beach!! LOL
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:17 AM
OO

OH...Joan! I cannot believe your DH will be 50! Really! (And that must mean you married a MUCH older man then. )
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:23 AM

I'll bet local business owners would not be too happy with someone telling people on a travel web site to stay away from their area!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:48 AM
Lwc

I really appreciate the advise to stay away. I can't imagine spending my vacation stuck inside all the time especially at the beach. So sorry Bonnie that you can't enjoy the beach to it's fullest. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:19 AM
OO

One of the people posting here and telling someone they made the right decision to stay away, IS a local business owner Jor, just an honest one (and successful one to boot)! LOL
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
MSS

Heading to Anna Maria Island in about 3 weeks. Any word of Red Tide in that area? The condo is already booked and paid for, so no backing out, just hoping for a good report. Last year it was beautiful there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Fairhope

Current red tide status reports:

http://www.floridamarine.org/engine/...dltype=article

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM

MSS, go here and look, especially on Fridays when it's updated:
http://www.floridamarine.org/

thanks OO, yes he's an older man, but he sure doesn't show it!!!!

jor: what OO said!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM

I like this Travel Site for just that reason.
You can find out what is going on and make a decision based on real time info.
Anyway, if it is in the news, it is no secret.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM

There is so much to do in the Tampa/St. Pete area but I know everyone is thinking beach when they book the beaches. Oh well. Maybe next year. It sounds awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -