Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

50th Anniversary/Family Reunion 4-day Weekend in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Lisa

Looking for a spot to bring my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary/family reunion in mid-October. Coming from CO, NJ, CT, and FL and there will be 13 people for a long weekend, including 5 kids. Ideally, would like somewhere with an American plan. We were thinking ME or VA, but are open to other places. Any ideas?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Beth

Look into the Mt. Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. It's less than a two hour drive from Logan in Boston, and is a totally refurbished elegant old resort in the heart of the White Mountains. Dancing at dinner each night. Fabulous views. Food mediocre. Horse riides and hiking trail - kids' activities. Also, mid-Oct should see slightly lower prices as it's right after peak foliage.
If you want Maine coastline, check into the Stageneck Inn in York (closer) or the Samoset in Rockport (further). Have a wonderful time!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Gara

Have you considered New Hope, Pennsylvania in Bucks County? You'll probably get fall foliage as an extra added bonus. Anyway, there's lots of places to stay and plenty to do. There's even a mule barge ride the kids will probably like. There's also a train ride, too. There are many great restaurants and I'm pretty sure Bucks County Playhouse will still be open in case you want to see a "Braodway" show. There are plenty of websites you can check out. Good luck. I hope it's a wonderful weekend for all of you.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Arabella

Pipestem Resort in West Virginia may be a convenient locatin for your family. It offers golf, tennis, hiking, horseback riding, etc. To contact them, call 800-Call WVA.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Pam

How about the Crescent Beach Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth (right outside Portland). It's a lovely place and the food is outstanding. Looks out on the ocean and beach. Portland has lots to offer for all ages.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:22 PM
joe

Migis Lodge in Sebago Lake Maine, outside of Portland, is just what you are looking for, though maybe a bit pricey during foliage season.

The crowd leans towards older generations but there are boats and activities for kids. Dinners require jackets/dress up.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 02:17 AM
Pam

Try Williamsburg, VA. - it is beautiful in the fall, so much to see. You can stay at a hotel, park your car, and tour the entire sights by bus, etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Susan

Williamsburg is beautiful in October. Kingsmill is a great resort with condos, indoor/outdoor swimming, a great spa, golf, etc. You won't be able to get in though when the Michelob Championship golf tournament is here in the first week of Oct. Busch Gardens will be open for long weekends without the crowds.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:09 PM
va

Try Massanutten Resort, just outside Harrisonburg, VA, right off I-81. There are several different accomodations. It is a ski resort, but actually a four season resort. There is golf, tennis, trails, two huge indoor centers with pools, sauna, racquetball, exercise equipment, ping pong, etc. There is a small lake. It would be beautiful in October. They sell timeshares, so stay away from that...just ask for a regular room rate without a tour.