Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 weeks in Hawaii - Really could use some suggestions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been only to the Big Island, and that was 3 year ago. My husband has a 5 week sabatical this coming year,
and I thought it might be nice to divide up those 5 weeks spending some time on
each island other than the Big island.
Would love your opinions on how long you would recommend on each of the islands.
We love doing and seeing anything new, snorkeling, scenery, and tours.
NOT the party goers, we don't drink or like the night life that I heard is in Honolulu.
Thought we might rent a small home or condo for a week on each of the islands
unless you have a better suggestion. Also what area of each island would you
think is best for day trips out of. We're an older married couple.
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I value your opinions!!!!!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Highly rec Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshares in Wakiki, Oahu Island. You can ck VBRO or call Hilton Hawaiian Village directly. On the same beach right next door to HH Village Hotel, but has a concierge for schlupping stuff up & down,resvations at other shows, full kitchen for saving money and it is right downtown even tho you don't want night life party, it is still fun to be Downtown..
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I think they had one like this on the Big Island, and we just walked the grounds - it was out of our league. But WOW, what a resort, dolphin pool, underground trains for your luggage, and
million dollar art work. Wish we could, but I think a condo or home
for about 130/night is our limit, especially since we are staying
5 weeks. Thank you though, we will probably go for a walk through again.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I think you have the right idea. I spent 5 weeks in Hawaii last October.
Did a week condo rental in Honolulu, a week rental on Kauai, a week on the Big Island at Kona, followed by three nights at Volcano Village, then two nights at Honokaa (so 12 nights total on the big island), then a week rental in Maui, followed by three nights in Hana and the two final nights at Wailuku (so 12 nights on Maui). If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I'd change a thing. (oh yes, I also went to Molokai and rented a car for the day while on Maui).
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Well I am most familiar with Kauai as I own a timeshare there at the Marriott. It is a beautiful island with lots of things to do such as snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, be sure to visit Waimea Grand Canyon and the heartbreakingly beautiful North Shore. I would try for a condo there depending on time of year. Lots of nice helpful posters also over on Trip Advisor including some who live on island.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I would encourage you to spend time in Oahu, too. There are several wonderful museums, lots of great restaurants, and many sights to see. It's just a different side of Hawaii.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU!!!
NeoPatrick- Eliminating your 12 nights on Big Island, where would you have added nights to the other islands. I think your similar itnerary could be real helpful. We always rent a car wherever we go, and the weekly rates of cars and condos are cheaper.
So would you say two weeks on Maui, then one week on Oahu, one on
Kauai, and one on Lanai?

Placename- We love museums, wouldn't miss Oahu, thanks.

Jamie99- Looked into North Shore on VRBO, seems more expensive,
must be really great beaches, thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Wow-- all I have to say is how awesome it sounds to have FIVE weeks in Hawaii!

With that much time, you can hit Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, and Molokai. You lucky duck!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM

I'm not good at relaxing, so I'm probably not the one to ask. But a week on Lanai would bore me silly -- and my one day on Molokai, while a great drive was plenty there.
I suppose if avoiding the Big Island (which was actually my favorite) I'd spend more time on Oahu. I'm not even sure what I would do with more time on Maui than the 12 days I spent, other than incorporating a day trip to Lanai.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM

If you're looking for hidden gems on the islands, purchase the book's "revealed" (ex: Maui Revealed) to get insights places to go and things to do that are often overlooked. It made our vacation spectacular and saved us $$ avoiding places where we could do the same for free somewhere else. ENJOY.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM

I am a big fan of Oahu, so I would plan more time there. We have rented houses in Kailua through VRBO. Kailua is a nice town with beautiful beaches and is close to Honolulu/Waikiki for day trips. It is also a good jumping off point for the north shore.
Five weeks! Have fun!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM

I would be very tempted to spend the entire time in one spot (like Kailua Oahu). There are many benefits to staying put for longer: better rates, easier to relax, time to really explore and see things. But if you feel like moving around consider doing 1 week each in Waikiki (or Kailua), Poipu, Princeville, Kaanapali & Wailea (or Kihei).

The order of visiting is important. You want to start with worst and end with the best, taking into account both accommodation and location. For example, don't stay at the Sheraton Maui the first week and then end in a $80/night Waikiki hotel.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM

NeoPatrick: Would you be willing to share the condo rentals that you rented & some info on each? We are looking at Hawaii as an option as a winter get away.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Sure, if I can:

Kona: http://www.halekonakai-hkk.com/pages/plans.htm

Honolulu: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND NOTE THE OWNERS ALSO HAVE A UNIT AT halekonakai, which I didn't know at the time.
http://www.ilikaiwaikikicondo.com/

Kauai: http://www.vrbo.com/152385
Only problem was lack of AC except in bedroom and it was quite hot.

Volcano: Kate's Cottage -- scroll down to find it on:
http://www.volcanolodging.com/
GREAT PLACE

My condo in Maui ended up under construction and they advised me just two weeks before when I was already in Hawaii. So I ended up staying in Lahaina at Lahaina Inn. Loved it.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick- I agree on Big Island, we spent more than 2 weeks there and loved every minute, but have never seen the other islands. I apreciate your honesty about a week being too long
on Lenai, especially if the beaches and scenery are similar.
Would 2 weeks on Maui and 2 on Oahu, leaving one on Kaui sound
like a better plan?

Hgjames- THANK YOU, that is good advice. I was needing suggestions
on which towns to stay in. Can't wait until I have time to research the towns you listed.

Ranger Rick, I will be looking on Half.com for those books, or
e-bay... THANK YOU

You are so kind to take the time to help me. Fodorites are the BEST.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Staying put and getting to know an island is a rare luxury these days. We have been to all the islands and offer this suggestion: Two weeks on Oahu, two weeks on Kauai and one week on Maui. The "No Worries Hawaii" guidebook will give you an excellent overview of outdoor activities, sounds like you enjoy snorkeling and hiking. Pick out a Waikiki hotel using your Fodor's for Oahu and start your vacation there. We like the Aqua chain (mid-range) or go deluxe and stay at the Hilton.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Oahu. Honolulu is not only about partying or nightlife. It is rich with cultural things to see and do (Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, etc.)

For me I'd pick Oahu and either Kauai or Maui and split the time 3 weeks/2 weeks between just two islands.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I might also split the time 2/2/1 (or so)....and the idea of renting in Kailua would be heaven!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM

I HIGHLY recommend Kauai over Oahu if you're not a party-goer and more of an adventurer. Kauai is breath-taking and absolutley spectacular. Sooooo many waterfalls and hiking routes to see. If you want to stay centrally located in Kauai, i recommend to stay in Lihue- preferrably the Kauai Marriott. Its a spectacular resort and is centrally located to all major attractions. About 30 minutes from South/West Shore and 40 minutes from North Shore. I also recommend the open-air helicopter ride. AMAZING! Definitely plan on being in Kauai for at least a week...probably more than a week if you can. So many beautiful sights to see. It also offers many private and remote locations to hang out in like Secret Lava Pools and Polihale Beach (check out the Kauai Revealed book for more info about secret locations- its the best Hawaii travel guides).

Have fun on your trip!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM
jcb

Hi ehovis -

What a wonderful opportunity!! If you know the approx month, let us know b/c our answers may vary depending on time of year.

Obviously, everyone has their favorites and are suggesting different time frames. I would strongly suggest you thumb through a guidebook and decide what you want to do. I think it would be an absolute shame to book condos/tickets based on our advice and then find out you should have spent a few more days on a different island. Personally I would definitely spend MORE than one week on any island. As you know, part of the joy of the islands is seeing the sights and relaxing. IMO, you definitley need more than 7 days to accomplish this on any island.

Also, what do you want in a condo? Do you need an ocean view or is a mountain view or any view other than a street okay? Do you need/want a/c? Do you need to walk to the beach?

For Kauai rentals, this link may help you to determine prices.

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/

I have booked condos with them twice and were pleased. There are also other reputable agencies on Kauai. I'm sure other posters can suggest agencies on other islands as well.

Have a wonderful trip and happy planning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -