Search

B & B - Monterey

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B & B - Monterey

My husband and I are going to San Francisco mid-June and want to take a trip to Monterey, Carmel, Bug Sur. We have 3 nights to see that area. To see all 3 we thought we would stay in Monterey or Pacific Coast and make that our home base. Could anyone recommend a nice B & B in that area. Also is the trip down Route 1 driving along the edge of cliffs?? How is the weather in that area in mid-June?
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:25 PM

I'd opt for Pacifc Grove. IMHO it has far more charm in general than Carmel. You can also walk along the shorepath into Monterey. During the summer you will have use of The Wave, the free shuttle travelling along the wharf/aquarium/cannery row route. We've stayed at both the Jabberwock(a bit odd..of course) and Gosby House(alot of Teddy Bears). I'd check out places on the water like Green Gables (I think is the name) or the Grandview.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Green Gables Inn for our honeymoon. This was 8 years ago, but it was beautiful then and I'd guess is so, now. Beautiful location (across the street from the water)and good food. Besides breakfast, coffee and cake in the afternoons and evening. The rooms in the stablehouse are larger than the ones in the main house, but the ones in the main house might be considered more quaint. We stayed in the stablehouse and there was a gas fireplace--which we used (and this was the first week of July)
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:49 PM

The Pacific Grove chamber of commerce has a list of B&B's in Pacific Grove. We love, love, love Pacific Grove and usually opt to stay there instead of Monterey or Carmel.

Hwy 1 does go along the pacific coast--lots of places to stop and take photos or just look at the ocean.

We have never stayed at the Green Gables but have walked past it--great location and beautiful old victorian!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM

My husband and I stayed at The Green Gables
last August. We loved it. The inn is right across the ocean. Our room ( the chapel) looked right out on the ocean. We borrowed the Inn's bikes and used the bike trail in front of the inn. The inn also had complimentary soda's, breakfast, and a 4:00
snack. Stay at the Green Gables. You will be glad you did.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM

On the road conditions: from San Francisco to Monterey/Carmel, it's pretty easy with lots of flat stretches or rolling hills.

The cliff driving is south of Carmel. Actually, the real cliffside driving is south of Lime Kiln State Park in Big Sur and extends for about 40 to 50 miles down to San Simeon, where it levels out again.

You shouldn't freak out about the "cliff" driving. People go along this road in their mobile homes and pull trailers behind their SUVs sometimes. You can't go fast, even if you tried. The views are spectacular and well worth the drive.

Just don't drive in the fog. There is sometimes morning fog and you can wait until it clears, usually around 10 or 11 am.

Have a good trip!