5 nights in Newport Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Newport Beach this Friday. We are looking for good eating places. We have a car so can travel a little and we like to go to restaurants where the locals go where the food is really great.Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I always recommend The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. There is usually a line so be prepared. It's a funky place, uses paper plates but good seafood.

In Costa Mesa on 17th Street and very close to Newport Beach (really right on the border) is Plum's Cafe. Great place for breakfast and uually very busy especially on weekends.

My daughter had a couple of small places she liked when she lived in Newport. I will try and find out the names-I know one was an Italian Restaurant.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM

I know this post is a bit old, but I am looking for restaurants recs for Newport Beach. We are staying at the Marriott Villas in Newport Shores. Most of the restaurants I'm finding on line are giving me sticker shock. Are there any casual restaurants around with good food that won't break the bank?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM

There is a Cheesecake Factory and El Torito Grill at the Mall. There is a popular inexpensive place called the Spagetti Factory on Balboa Pennisula. On PCH as you are driving to Newport Ave there is a Crab Shack & Cajun Shrimp place(cant remember the name) on the that is FANTASTIC.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Tommy Bahama's Island Grill has delish food. Fun for lunch outside on the patio, next to the clothing store. Located on Avocado Ave.

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=6559
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Here in Newport Beach we specialize in pricy chain restaurants. Other options: Zov's, (www.zovs.com), has a branch at the shopping center at the corner of Newport Coast Drive and San Joachin Hills Road very near the Marriott Villas in Newport Coast. In Costa Mesa near South Coast Plaza, the Old Vine Café (www.oldvinecafe.com) just got a favorable review in the LA Times.
Plum's in Costa Mesa on 17th has good fresh food. Massimimo's in the same little shopping area as Plum's has the best pizza in the area.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM

What happened to Sids Blue Beet???

Tuesday night special - Grenadine of beef, salad, garlic bread - $1.25

Felipe on the Flamingo guitar.

Pitcher of beer for $1.00

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Stu,
Next you'll be talking again, about the "Prison of Socrates" in Balboa.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Just noticed that Paula had also recommended Plum's back in August. We also like the Crab Cooker which she mentioned. For lunch or a light supper the clam chowder and the killer crab claw appetizer are favorites. At the Marriott Villas you are two minutes from the Beachcomber going south on PCH toward Laguna. Go for breakfast, lunch, or a drink, not for the food which tends to be a bit better than adequate, but for the atmosphere--you're in the middle of the picturesque Crystal Cove historical area, just steps from the water. The Sapphire Pantry in Laguna has very good food. And the pizza place I mentioned before in Costa Mesa is Massimo's not Massimino's.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM

>>Next you'll be talking again, about the "Prison of Socrates" in Balboa.<<

and Tim Morgan

Stu Dudley

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM

thanks for the recs...old vine is out....they don't allow kids
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Hmmm. "restaurants where the locals go where the food is really great."

In nearby Costa Mesa, one of my favorites is Avila's El Ranchito <http://www.avilaselranchito.net/locations1.htm>, one of 11 restaurants family owned and operated for the last 40 years. It is consistently good. Read a few reviews <http://tinyurl.com/8q8vcj>.

The Pleasant Pheasant <http://thepleasantpeasant.com/> is in Newport Beach, closer to the Orange County airport. It's a little trick to find but well worth your time spent there.

And, yes, one more vote for the Crab Cooker. Be forewarned that parking is a major hassle and they don't take reservations. This was supposedly President Richard Nixon’s favorite restaurant. When he asked to have a private party there, the owners refused because the restaurant was for everyone and could not be reserved for even the president. My advice: Go Early.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM

In nearby Laguna Beach, there is Las Brisas, a casual venue with great food and amazing views. ***kim***