Reload this Page >

5 Kids and Nothing to do...yet.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 05:46 PM
jason fowler

I am attempting, note attempting, to take my family of seven, 5 kids ages, 7,5,3,1.5 & 7mos. to Maine. I am looking to go to the Portland or Mid Coast area by the Ocean or get a house on a Lake for a week. Where would you rather stay knowing you have time to do many things. We would like to stay in a place that is not touristy but is central to those places. Your thoughts and ideas(harrassing comments) are appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 09:16 PM
Amita

Jason,

You might want to check out the Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park area. That's a few hours' drive up the coast from Portland, but I'd imagine there would be enough to keep your family busy for a week.

Another thing to consider is renting an RV and going to a campground; a lot of these places cater to families with kids. I remember one place in Damariscotta I think, not too far from Camden, which seemed to have a lot of activities for kids: canoeing, game rooms, pool, etc. Good luck and have a great time!

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Donna F

With kids those ages, I chose something convenient to Portland and Portsmouth NH. Portsmouth has a great children's museum ( I think Portland has one but haven't been) plus there is a great marine science center outside of Portsmouth, Odiorne Point. However, kids can be plenty happy playing in the sand/dirt with a variety of simple shovels, trucks, etc. I would chose anything located where it would not be necessary to pack everyone into the car to get to the water and sand! You will probably find less traffic in the lake areas than on the coast.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Wow

Nothing to do??? With 5 kids in 7 years, I would say that you have found plenty to do. ( LOL )

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 06:33 AM
JustTeasing

Good grief, don't go to a very romantic spot this year!

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 06:52 AM
jason fowler

Thanks to all. We have decided to stay near Sebago Lake and travel to the other areas. Correct that this will not be a romantic getaway. Do not fear no. 6 will not be here. I appreciate your thoughts and if this is successful it will become a yearly event to allow us to visit all the areas. Portsmouth sounds interesting.