Search

5 Days in Taos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Days in Taos

We will be flying in and out Taos with a 5-day stay.
We are looking for a couple ideas and appreciate your input!!
1. Where to stay in Taos?
2. Should we explore south to Santa Fe/Albuquerque?
3. Should we explore north to Durango(ish) area?
4. What are we not thinking of?

Appreciate the ideas!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Welcome, cbanda23!
Here's my trip 2018 report for ideas and especially the name of my guide:
Santa Fe Getaway 2018
If my trip was any indication, guided trips to Taos were very popular. So do book ahead.

FYI, I had trouble with the elevation.

Last edited by TDudette; Jun 28th, 2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 04:35 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
As much as I like Durango, I'd not visit (assume you mean day trip?) from Taos as it's a 3:45 drive each way. Durango is more of a destination than a side trip. I visit Durango every chance I get and can spend many days there - so much great hiking.

Taos to Santa Fe on the other hand makes a good day trip - 1:20 each way. Taos to Albuquerque will take about 2:15 each way. Still a bit long for a day trip IMO.

You might get a few ideas from my trip reports as well:

Eating our way through Northern New Mexico

Oops..make that report, not plural. I've visited many times, but evidently only written one trip report.

Old Jun 29th, 2023, 07:32 AM

Take the high road between Taos and Santa Fe:

https://taos.org/discover/the-high-r...-and-santa-fe/

If you want to visit the Taos Pueblo, go first thing in the morning. On our second visit years after the first we were there in the afternoon and there was a hour wait for the shuttle from the parking lot to the pueblo.

In Taos proper, do not miss the Fechin house:

Bandelier National Monument is another day's outing:

Old Jun 29th, 2023, 09:24 AM

Be sure to go to the Taos Pueblo. Also, check out the "Made in New Mexico" shop on the plaza which my brother established (and later sold). There's not a whole lot to do in Taos, so plan a day trip to Santa Fe.

Santa Fe: For many this ancient Spanish Colonial town is magical with its historic plaza containing the Palace of the Governors (1610) and the nearby oldest house (1646) and church (1610) in America. The narrow streets are lined with sleepy adobe homes squatting behind hand-carved wooden gates. It has many cultures including that of those descended from the original Spanish colonists, Native American, New Age, artistic, and more. There is lovely but expensive Southwestern artwork and jewelry in the many galleries on Canyon Road. Be sure to eat traditional New Mexican food which differs from Tex-Mex. Recommended restaurants by posters on Fodor’s are El Shed (New Mexican cuisine), Geronimo’s (fine dining), Tomasita's and Paper Dosa (Indian). Other places to see are the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Meow Wolf Museum, and Museum of International Folk Art and Palace of the Governors.
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 09:33 AM

We rented a house in Abiquiu for a week and loved it. We visited Taos and did the high road but one day was enough for us. Be sure and visit Abiquiu if you are familiar with Georgia O'Keefe. Hiking Chimney Rock at Ghost Ranch is great too. Abiquiu is tiny and all about the scenery and hiking. And definitely visit Santa Fe if that is not in your plans already.