Reload this Page >

5 days in New Orleans

Search

5 days in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 06:24 PM
jo

5 days in New Orleans

My husband and I just planned a 5 day trip to New Orleans .Yes I know it's short, but what do you recommend as must do's . What about day trips out of the city? We want to pack in as much as we can. By the way has any one stayed at the Chateau Le Moyne Holiday Inn any comments? Thanks Jo

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 05:30 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I think 5 days is a good amount of time (I don't think my liver or belt could take more than that).

Not sure what you're interested in, but here are my must see/do's:

1. Dinner at Bayona (very romantic)
2. Lunch at Napolean House (an original muffaletta washed down with a cold beer).
3. Cemetary tour (organized or self-guided - just be careful if you go it alone, even during the day)
4. Low-nutrition breakfast of coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde.
5. A beer/drink at John Laffitte's (I think it's the oldest building (bar?) in the Quarter).
6. A drink at the Old Absinthe House (or Old Absinthe Bar - which ever one hasn't been turned into a cheesy frozen Daquiri bar)
7. Dinner at NOLA for a taste of Emeril.
8. Take in an IMAX film (only if you've never seen one).
9. Self-guided tour of the Garden District. Take the St. Charles Street Car up to Tulane U. and then stroll back until you feel you've had enough and jump on the streetcar to get home.
10. Most importantly, just wander through the Quarter getting lost, discovering cute bars/shops/restaurants/courtyards. We always find something new everytime we go back.

I know that there are many other N.O.-informed posters on this site (we even have one (Meg) that actually lives in the Quarter - quite an asset). So maybe if you post back and are more specific about what you and your husband like to do on vacation, you'll get more focused info.

Have a great time!

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:06 AM
kristi

Brian's right, any more than 5 days in New Orleans and you'll be in Weight Watchers for the rest of the year! After four days I couldn't eat anymore!

My favorite restaurants in NO are Court of Two Sisters for the jazz brunch (every day, not just Sunday) and NOLA, Emeril's more casual, yet excellent restaurant. Make sure you have reservations for NOLA's and not a bad idea for Court of Two Sisters either.

We spent one day of our trip visiting the plantations. You can go on your own or with an organized tour. We stayed one night in a hotel closer to the plantations which saved us a bit of money and we also got an earlier start on the day. If you go, make sure to see Nottoway and Oak Alley.

There are all kinds of cemetery, ghost and voodoo tours. We liked the one to the cemetery which is only done during the day. Some of the ghost tours are fun; part fact, part fiction. They are more amusing if you have a few hurricanes first.

Make sure to stop by Cafe du Monde for beignets.

Take the street car out to the Garden District and walk around looking at the beautiful homes. If you decide to eat at Commander's, this is a good thing to do before or after.

The aquarium and IMAX are nice if you have some extra time. There is a good museum in Jackson Square if you are interested in the history of New Orleans.

The hurricanes at Jean Lafitte's were the most potent drink I've ever had, drink with caution!

I'm not sure where your hotel is but I would recommend staying in the French Quarter and if you get a hotel on/near Bourbon Street, make sure you ask for a room on the side away from the street if you don't want to be up kept all night.

There are several good web sites-www.neworleans.com, www.nola.com, www.citysearch are a few.

Have a great trip!

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 07:58 AM
Leah

Jo,

I saw the aquarium mentioned briefly above. It you are into fish (as we are) you must make time for it. It was very interesting. New Orleans is a place where you can just take a seat and watch the world go by. I've only been once, so I'm not in the knowledge as much as others, but I know you will have a good time. I don't believe I saw Preservation Hall mentioned. We had intended on going there to hear the music, but much to my disappointment, the kids outvoted me and we didn't have time to take it in. Have a great time!!

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 07:02 AM
arjay

Yes! If you like dixieland music at all, definitely do Preservation Hall. Also, try to see some cajun dancing...Mulate's (a few blocks outside the quarter) is a good place for it. Don't know about the food (there's casual dining there), but once the dancing starts -- it's a treat to watch!

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Meg

Hi, Jo. I agree with the suggestions about the Aquarium (I volunteer there and am very proud of it), the Garden District and roaming the Quarter. If you are interested in the cemeteries, please do a tour rather than on your own. I would feel safe wandering in Lafayette No. 1 which is uptown on Washington at Prytania right across the street from Commander's Palace but would not venture into any of the ones around the Quarter without a group. If you are an Anne Rice fan at all, you can tour her homes (the First St. house, her orphange and her family creole cottage on St. Charles) but I think the home are only open on Monday. The orphange, St. Elizabeth's is absolutely incredible, and I think it is open more than just on Monday. As for day trips out of the city, the plantation tour would be good. The homes are fabulous. As for food (my favorite part of living in N.O.), go to Central Grocery on Decatur for muffalettas, Napoleon House on Chartres and St. Louis (I think it's St. Louis) for a Pimm's Cup, Port o'Call on Esplanade for great burgers, Clover Grill on Bourbon and Dumaine for omelets or waffles in the a.m., Croissant D'Or on Ursulines for pastries and coffee, K-Paul's for a fab cajun lunch, any of the Brennan properties (Palace Cafe, Redfish Grill, Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, Commander's, Bacco) for a great dinner. I concur with the suggestion about Bayona - had one of THE finest meals I've ever had in N.O. there. Also, if you like French food and can get a reservation, try Peristyle on the corner of Dumaine and Rampart. As for po-boys, try Mother's on Poydras at Tchoupitoulas. Great margaritas are found at Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar on Tchoupitoulas in the warehouse district. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon at St. Phillip is a great place for a beer and some late night live music. (There is debate about whether or not this is the oldest building in the Mississippi Valley. Graffiti found on the bathroom walls has been attributed to Portugese sailors from the 1700's.) Cafe du Monde on Decatur is a must for beignets and cafe au lait. If hotdogs interest you at all, have a Lucky Dog in Jackson Square. Definitely ride the street car up St. Charles and maybe get off to wander down Magazine Street (a few blocks riverside of St. Charles) to visit some galleries and antique shops. The warehouse district is home to gallery row - Julia Street - where the galleries open at night on the first Saturday of each month - if you are here at that time. Please let me know if you need any more information. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Mardi

Slightly off topic-desperately seeking a room for 10/21-10/25 in the $150 range. Everything seems to be booked? Suggestions appreciated - location unimportant at this point!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 11:54 AM
Jo

Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. I cant wait to try them all. Just one more question.Since we will be in town for just one Sunday which brunch do you recommend? Does Brennans serve breakfast everyday and is it as good as Sunday brunch. How about the Gospel Brunch at HOUSE OF BLUES/ AM I RIGHT THAT the Twin sisters serve brunch everyday? I guess thats more than one question , but you see we don't want to miss anything. Thanks again Jo

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 12:26 PM
MJ Eraci

Hi,
Everyone else is right, 5 days in NO is plenty of time. I was recently there for 3 days. We ate at NOLA's for lunch and the food was excellant. Also went to Mr B's bistro. I highly recommend both. Have fun, great city.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 12:26 PM
jo

Woops! I see that it is the" Court of Two Sisters" not the "Twin Sisters"I gotta get to bed...