4th of July in Boston

May 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
MFP
Original Poster

4th of July in Boston

My husband, my 16 year old granddaughter, and I are going to be in Boston from July 2, (evening arrival,) and leaving the 5th for Maine. We have always wanted to experience the 4th of July in Boston, specifically the fireworks. I don't want to get in with a bunch of people, packed like sardines. What are the best ways to enjoy the fireworks. I want to set up an experience we will never forget. Also hotel ideas for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and ideas for what to do on the 3rd and 4th. Any special 4th of July activities that are the best, tours?
May 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
yk

http://www.july4th.org/index.htm

You should look for a hotel that's within walking distance to the Charles River Esplanade (in Back Bay or near Public Gardens).

It is impossible NOT to be in the crowds... unless you charter your own boat on the Charles River, or book a hotel room that has a view of the Charles.

I haven't been for years now, but when I went in the past, we pretty much went early to the Esplanade and stake out an area with a picnic blanket... and wait for hours for the fireworks. FYI, Fireworks start at 10:30pm.
May 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Also see

http://www.bostonharborfest.com/

It IS possible to enjoy the fireworks and the music away from crowds, and without staking out space hours ahead of time. I'm not going to list those places here, for obvious reasons, but you can easily find those places with a web search.
May 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
MFP
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking at the Sheraton Boston Hotel which looks like it is on the Charles and it has a whole side of rooms with river view. The reviews seem to be up and down. They do have a stay 2 nights, get the 3rd free.
May 29th, 2009, 04:45 AM

I stayed at the Omni and was able to walk to everything. It is located on the Freedom Trail.

I enjoyed the Duck Tour - amphibian vehicle. Tours the city and then goes into the Charles River.
May 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM

MHP: The Sheraton Boston is at the Prudential Center, which is not exactly on the Charles but several blocks away. However, you may be able to get a good view if you are on a higher floor. A 3rd free night would be a plus for me.

Like yk, I haven't been down on the Esplanade in years but it's always been crowded and there's a tradition of people camping out to get a front row seat. There are loudspeakers set up so you can hear the concert if you are further away from the Hatch Shell. Also, it's possible to see the fireworks from across the river along the Cambridge side and many people do that.

The Sheraton does have a nice pool which your granddaughter may enjoy.
May 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
yk

Hi MFP - I don't know what rate you are finding on the Sheraton Boston (stay 2, get 3rd free), but on Travelzoo.com, there are 2 different discount codes for the Sheraton Boston.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/592422

The TMZ code is giving a rate of $149/n for a double bed room for your dates.

However, another code, NBR, you pay rack rate for first night ($229), but for 2nd and 3rd nights, you pay a rate = last 2 digits of your birth year. So, if you were born in 1940, you pay $40/night for 2nd and 3rd nights.
May 29th, 2009, 11:58 AM
yk

P.S. Those rates are good through August, but must be booked by June 3, 2009.

Search this Thread