Search

4th July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:20 AM
Bernice

4th July

I am planning a trip to the States end of June.Where's the best place to be for 4th July celebrations???

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:25 AM
nyer

Boston, NYC or Washington DC. See if you can pull up earlier threads on this--I think it pretty much comes up every year

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:28 AM
xxx

Most cities and smaller towns have fireworks displays, but I would agree with the above post about the best places. I'd particularly recommend New York.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Janie

Funny but as a New Yorker, I'd recommend Boston! The big thing in NY is the fireworks over the East River, but I've always found it impossible to get to and uncomfortable to stand and wait (it was much better when they alternated and was sometimes on the Hudson River instead). On the other hand, I was in Boston for one 4th of July, and really enjoyed the Boston Pops concert and everything else going on that day. Boston is a much smaller city so to my used-to-walking-30-40--blocks-at-a-shot NY legs, Boston seemed easier to get around. DC is often quite a bit hotter than the other 2 places, so would be my third choice, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Also, remember that July 4th is a big shopping day in the US (virtually all the large department and chain stores are open)so if you're interested in that, it's a good activity to break up the outdoors part of your day. Believe it or not, summer 'clearance' sales start then on many items such as swimsuits.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:03 AM
carla

4th of July is a real family / community celebration - mornings are spent watching parades, the afternoon involves a bar-b-que and the evening fireworks- As a visitor to the US I would opt for DC - the rates are down for hotels, there will be a festival instead of a parade on the Mall outside the SMithsonian museum, there will be a concert followed by fireworks at night - and in DC - the aditude is far far more friendly

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Gail

Philadelphia--home of the Declaration of Independance. Philly has a week long celebration and fantastic fireworks displays.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:23 AM
homesick

Boston has all sorts of things going on. The Pops at the Esplanad is the biggest, but throughout the days other activities occur. There is ususall a parade, a reinactment of a Rev War battle & my favorite a chowder featival.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM
David

I would say that New York City has the best 4th of July fireworks display.