Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

42nd Street, the musical...Is the new version better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 07:12 AM
greg

To all theater lovers out there....I am in a bind here. I am visiting NY in 3 weeks with my mom and I am dying to see 42nd Street. My mom has seen the original version many moons ago and would really watch something else but I wanted to share my first vviewing with her so badly. So question.....has anyone seen both? How does the new one compare? I'm sure it's different but I have to convince my mom with your answers. SOS!!!

Thnks.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Steph

I saw both (and the movie, too)
I think the latest version is terrific,
and I'm inclined to say it's better than
the first - more lavish production, better choreography. The previous version was really quite some time ago and I don't remember it in great detail, so it's hard to give more specific reasons. If your Mom liked the first one, she'll love this one and won't feel like she's seeing the same thing all over again. Hope this helps and hope you see the show!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:00 AM
denise

I didn't see the original but surely it couldn't be any better than the silly and vapid revival. Months after the Tonys were handed out, I am still reeling in disbelief why this musical won the best revival award. It's bad. Really bad. All style, noise, glitzy costumes but sadly no substance or soul. I would go to Batboy....a smaller, funnier musical.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Patrick

Yes I saw the original and recently saw the revival. To Denise, it may not be everyone's show. No, there is no substance or meat -- it is simply old fashioned good song and dance show with some vaudeville type schtick that is really quite funny. The revival is spectacular with some of the most beautifully executed and designed sets I've seen in quite a while. The costumes couldn't be more glitzy. The performances were outstanding,although I'm not sure how many replacements there are now. As I recall the original had a chorus of about 16, maybe 20. I believe there are 32 dancers in most of the big numbers in this revival -- sometimes with many mirrors to multiply the effect. I have enjoyed many of the recent revivals, but I think 42nd Street far surpasses the original.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Dianna

I agree with Patrick. Saw the show in August and was quite impressed. Balcony seats are great for this show as they do a June Taylor dancer scene.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Patrick

Dianna, I got a kick out of your calling the round circle of dancers on the floor with overhead mirrors being a "June Taylor" number. Busby Berkley was doing that in every movie musical made in the 30's, including 42nd Street. But I know what you mean.