4 single women in 30's what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading up on all the things to do in Chicago but I realized there's a difference in taste, preferences and age group.
We are taking a girls trip from California and will be staying at the Burnham hotel. We will be there in late feb.
We've never been there before and would like suggestions on Must see's and Do's.
We definitely would do the nightlife (love dancing!) shoppping , Jazz and museums. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM

OOOH! Can't wait to hear! Planning 3 single women in 30's for later in the year!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I can't resist...
Celebrate the fact that you don't have some shmo tieing you down!

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM

\/

Good answer! I'm sure joannelynn can relate to our answer to "why aren't you married?" uhhhh... because life is good?!? Because we do what we want, go where we want, SPEND what we want, etc. etc. etc. This question usually comes from the married with kids friends who complain all the time, too!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM

We think alike neworleanslady!

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
GoTravel

Uhh, my single friends and married girlfriends all do the same things.

I didn't know you had to plan separate trips for married girls and separate trips for single girls.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Check out www.metromix.com for lots to do here in the Windy City.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Well, that's the rules GoTravel, I didn't make 'em up!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM

From a single guy in his 30's, I always had a great time visiting the Wrigleyville area of Chicago, even when baseball season is dormant. It's kind of the sports bar scene, but a lot of fun and opportunities for dancing too . The art museum in Chicago is incredible too.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM

no offense but that is what my ugly single friends say!!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

he he! you guys are funny.
As some of us will say " you go girl!"
Life is good whe you're single and havin"
fun! I'll check out Metromix! thanks for the tip! Anything else?
What's the BEST single bar in CHICAGO where HOT men roam free!!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

No single answer to the best bar question, but metromix recently had a round-up of hot bars that profiled the vibe and clientele for each. Try that. Pops for Champagne, in the Wrigleyville-Lakeview area, is supposed to be good for jazz. Don't miss the Art Institute, maybe the Jackie Kennedy exhibit will still be here. Great shopping in North Michigan Avenue area, or consult chicagotribune.com for articles on shopping in hipper neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, etc.if you want to go beyond what's available everywhere--although metromix would probably have that, too, as it partners with the Tribune
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM

No offence mikieguns but my guess is that you are one of the dreaded shmos.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruise or walking tours. Must SEE--Marshall Fields flagship store! Live theatre --lots of choices with same day tickets.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM

If you are looking for a fun singles event and happen to be in town on the first friday of any month. Head on over to the Museum of Contemporary Art for "First Friday's" sure, it is notoriously a singles event, but it can be a lot of fun with a group.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM

If you're looking for a neighborhood where HOT men roam free, you have to wander up Halsted north of Belmont. It might not be quite what you're looking for though. I'll give you a hint, the neighborhood is known as boystown and there are rainbow flags and pylons decorating the street.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Chicago heh? If you're into comedy, go see the Second City there. The comedians they've had the past few months are spectacular. It's a great way to get happy over a few coctails and well worth the cash.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM

go to Red Head Piano bar for good music and fun. Go to Nine restaurant for a very cool experience (caviar/champagne bar in the middle of the restaurant) and then upstairs after dinner to the Ghost Bar (coolest bar around).
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Second City is usually sold out on the weekends, even in Feb, so buy tickets in advance if that interests you. They sometimes have them at the Hot Tix 1/2 price booth for the late Friday night show.

Another fun idea is one of the comedy improv shows, either Comedy Sportz or Improv Olympics. We went a few weeks ago with a group and had a lot of fun. Those tickets will show up at Hot Tix most likely. We combined Comedy Sportz with eating at A la Turka, a very fun Turkish restaurant about a mile away. We did that at 8 pm on a Friday so we could see the belly dancers and the 10:30 show at CS.

Other fun restaurant closer to downtown include Cafe Iberico (Spanish tapas)and any place in Greektown although I'm partial to Greek Islands.

Since you are staying at the Hotel Burnham you might think about grabbing a bite at the Atwood Cafe which is in the hotel lobby. Very good food, comfortable setting and awesome desserts including a white chocolate banana bread pudding, portion big enough for 2 to share.

In addition to the Michigan Avenue and State Street shopping areas, you might consider heading up to Armitage which has a lot of boutique stores and a recently opened Lush bath product store.

The Jackie O exhibit at the Field Museum is there until May, if you are into fashion, you might enjoy that.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Don't miss Lori's Shoes on Armitage for the best discount shoes, handbags and accessories. Eat at the Atwood Cafe in your hotel. Great trendy restaurants - MK, Spring, Green Zebra, Nine, Cafe Absinthe. Lunch or Tea at The Four Seasons for pampering quiet. Don't miss Millenium Park! Art Institute, Jackie O exhibit at the Field. Check who's playing at House of Blues. Shopping - Oak Street, Bucktown. Walk from N Michigan Ave all the way down past the river for shopping, people watching, and great sights/views. Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate is in town, previewing for Broadway. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -