Reload this Page >

4 hours in Newark airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 04:44 AM
G-woman

What do you do when you have such a long time between flights? It will my first time flying.
Thank you for some ideas

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 02:57 PM
neville

You'll probably need all of that, there are three terminals, you need to catch a monorail between them, and the walk to the gate can be VERY long. In addition your inbound flight may be late. IF you have any spare time, shop, have a coffee or go to the bathroom.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:05 PM
xxx

There is a free shuttle bus that makes regular trips back and forth from a nearby outlet mall. Not only does the mall have a food court, restaurants, lots of shops, but it also hosts a movie theater. While I'd normally recommend it for a long layover, in your case, I would stay put at the airport. You're not going to want to have to go back and forth through security checkpoints and the lines will be long. There are shops in some of the concourses and several restaurants to choose from. Just be sure to have a good book and a few magazines.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:45 PM
cathy

Stay put and people watch. A friend and I were stuck a couple weeks ago and we played find the toupee.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:29 AM
Cathy

Does Newark airport has a place where I can walk? I will be sitting on a plane for over 7 hours so I rather not sit there in the airport for a long time and after 2 hours on a previous flight. It won't be my first time flying but it will be my first time in Newark airport. Thanks

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Patrick

In reading your post, one thought immediately came to mind. The only thing worse than spending 4 hours in the Newark airport is spending 4 hours in Newark! And Cathy, I'm still laughing. We, too, play "find the toupee", except we give points for how bad they are and at the end of the trip we add them up to see who wins. OOPS, now you all know my evil side. Sorry but it is my sometimes traveling friend, Amy, who brings out the evil in me.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:25 PM
xxx

G-woman: Let me guess......Continental?
By chance are you flying with them?
Out of Florida?

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:26 PM
xxx

or form Houston? sorry forgot this one.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:41 PM
G-woman

If that makes any difference I am flying out of Burlington. Yes, with Continental. Thank you all for your interesting ideas. Maybe we will count people with huge carry-ons.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:23 AM
GOL

I would first make sure you know which terminal your connecting flight is, and give yourself enough time to re-enter through security, then take the time to do the following:

Take a cab to Liberty State Park. It is only a hop-skip and jump away from the airport. (10-15 minute cab ride, maybe) Go to the 'picnic' area (not the WTC Family Relief area). The park stretches along the Jersey side, with great skyline views of NYC and the back of the Statue of Liberty (the only way to see her anyway since no ferries are leaving NY/NJ)

If the day is sunny, you can walk the boardwalk which stretches from one end of the park (picnic area) to (or near) the Ferry Terminal (old train station). It can be a moving experience, especially now.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:02 PM
xxx

G-woman: I only asked as I was curious.
I have to fly Continental often and they have such horrible connections in Newark.
Since I usually fly out of there for international flights, I have to leave my starting city (in Fla) at 6 in the morning, go to Houston, and get to Newark and sit all day and wait till the evening flights.
When you said you would be there for hours, I just assumed you were coming from Houston or Fla.
Gads, though, now to know that they have such horrible connections from other cities as well, it just makes me wonder why they cannot do better.
I really like them and would like to see better times.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:11 PM
KT

Here's what I'm looking forward to on Continental: 9+ hour flight from Rome to Newark, then a 4 1/4 hour layover, then a 6 hour flight to SFO. Total duration (for the mathematically challenged): 20 1/4 hours. The layover was originally shorter, but the EWR-SFO flight has been rescheduled. My plans for the layover include drinking lots of water, taking tranquilizers, and reminding myself that there are worse things in the world than a long flight for an Italian vacation.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Phil

G-Woman,
Depending on when you arrive, it may take some time to clear customs.
If you check a bag, baggage claim can be slow at Newark. Figure it'll take a least 45 minutes to an hour to get through immigration, get your bag, and clear customs.

There is a monorail that runs between terminals. You'll arrive into Terminal B and leave for SFO out of Terminal C.
You can easily walk between the 2 if it is a nice day. Either way, if you walk or take the monorail, figure on 10 - 15 minutes.

Personally, I'd opt for the Presidents Club. But, there is a large food court and a diner in one of Terminal C's concourses. There is a Marriott on the airport grounds and several major hotels in and around the airport. Perhaps you can ask about a day rate or shower facilities.

Alternatively, there is a Budweiser Plant across from the airport. They might have tours!

Between arrivals, switching terminals, getting through security and waiting to re-board, I don't think you have time to go to the outlets unless you take a can both ways.

Domestic flights leave from Termina

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Phil

Sorry. I thought you posted about the flight from Rome. I realize now that was someone else.

While 4 hours sounds like a long time, it really isn't given the need to clear security and get to the airport.

I'd bring a good book and find a quiet place to read.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Crazy Guggenheim

Allow me to cast a vote for that time honored tradition that has been used to pass the time since the invention of the wheel to the present: drink!

Drink early and drink often. Beer, then wine - mighty fine. Wine, then beer - mighty queer. Words to live by.